Colour of the deep blue field behind white star USN Corsair

Dainis

Since I will be spraying the US insignia on my 1/32 Birdcage Corsair, I have a question: What is the colour mix I can use to mimic the deep blue behind the insignia white star? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Thanks! I picked up mr color 326. You're right a little lightening up is in order. Should I just use a lighter shade of blue like a standard blue to get a more palatable(excuse the the pun) less blackish colour? Just wondering.

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

...........in a US insignia, is the outline of the star and bars a different colour to the surround of the star?

Im no roundel SME, but I think it depends on the time-frame you are talking about. IIRC, some were, some were not. 

thank you Jennings, very helpful

so if I am correct, one should only see the outline blue as a different shade to the inner blue post Sept 43?

this at least should help someone contemplating using HGW transfers for their markings, as they seem use this two tone approach

In Barrett Tillman's F6F book, he mentions that the blue behind the stars and bars was eliminated so all you'll see on a GSB Hellcat is the white star and two bars (per insignia).  I've checked this on several photos and it appears to be factual.  Corsairs on the other hand, had the blue background and surround.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s likely that that last photo in Tommy’s blog entry was a depot paint job. That’s an F4U-5, so not really informative for WWII era Corsairs.

It was clearly postwar but not because you mistook it for an F4U-5, which it isn't (the designation above the unreadable BuNo is F4U-4) but because of the faded red stripe in the insignia. I included it as a comment on actual paint and markings at any given time versus dates of directives.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
teeny typo