Dainis

Colour of the deep blue field behind white star USN Corsair

Since I will be spraying the US insignia on my 1/32 Birdcage Corsair, I have a question: What is the colour mix I can use to mimic the deep blue behind the insignia white star? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Thanks! I picked up mr color 326. You're right a little lightening up is in order. Should I just use a lighter shade of blue like a standard blue to get a more palatable(excuse the the pun) less blackish colour? Just wondering.

In a roundabout way I think this has come up in another thread

so to put it another way, in a US insignia, is the outline of the star and bars a different colour to the surround of the star?

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

...........in a US insignia, is the outline of the star and bars a different colour to the surround of the star?

Im no roundel SME, but I think it depends on the time-frame you are talking about. IIRC, some were, some were not. 

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

In a roundabout way I think this has come up in another thread

so to put it another way, in a US insignia, is the outline of the star and bars a different colour to the surround of the star?

The US Insignia was a blue disk with a white star whose tips touched the edge of the blue disk (officially).  In 1943 white bars and a red surround were added to the blue disk.  A few months later, the red outline was changed to blue, resulting in the “standard” WWII era insignia.  In 1947 red bars were added to the white bars resulting in the current insignia.

The only case where the outline was called out as a different color was the June - September 1943 red outline.  But many aircraft had their red surrounds overpainted in various shades of blue, some of which matched the blue disk, and some which didn’t.  

thank you Jennings, very helpful

so if I am correct, one should only see the outline blue as a different shade to the inner blue post Sept 43?

this at least should help someone contemplating using HGW transfers for their markings, as they seem use this two tone approach

Two words I'm always sure never to use are "never" and "always" :)  But in general, yes.  But keep in mind that Operation Torch took place in 1942, and many US aircraft got a yellow surround on their insignias for that operation that were (or weren't) later overpainted before the summer/autumn of 1943.  

In Barrett Tillman's F6F book, he mentions that the blue behind the stars and bars was eliminated so all you'll see on a GSB Hellcat is the white star and two bars (per insignia).  I've checked this on several photos and it appears to be factual.  Corsairs on the other hand, had the blue background and surround.

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

In Barrett Tillman's F6F book, he mentions that the blue behind the stars and bars was eliminated so all you'll see on a GSB Hellcat is the white star and two bars (per insignia).  I've checked this on several photos and it appears to be factual.  Corsairs on the other hand, had the blue background and surround.

Grumman (but no other manufacturer) asked for and got permission from the BuAer to eliminate the Insignia Blue of the national insignias when the Gloss Sea Blue camouflage came along.  By that time, Grumman was only producing F6Fs (and later F8Fs).  All Avengers and Wildcats were being produced by Eastern Aircraft, and they continued to use Insignia Blue on their insignias though the end of the war, as did Chance Vought and Curtiss.  Eventually the elimination of the dark blue became standard practice on all Navy GSB airplanes after the war.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

On 9/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s likely that that last photo in Tommy’s blog entry was a depot paint job. That’s an F4U-5, so not really informative for WWII era Corsairs.

It was clearly postwar but not because you mistook it for an F4U-5, which it isn't (the designation above the unreadable BuNo is F4U-4) but because of the faded red stripe in the insignia. I included it as a comment on actual paint and markings at any given time versus dates of directives.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
teeny typo