F-51's used by 2 Sqdn SAAF in Korea

mornem-170315-58c8f4f1e0b18-1024x673.jpg

Miss Marunouchi in all her glory. Typical load outs included HVAR rockets and either a pair of 500 lb bombs or napalm depending on the type of target.  Four plane section often went out with 2 of each. As to the anti glare panel to my eye it could be either OD or black. I'm thinking I'll go with black. The spinner is orange and appears to match the tail flash and the springbok on the roundel. That'll be fun to mix. 

Getting ready to head out for a weekend getaway of tubing, tennis and cycling with my bride of 31 years. I'll get a WIP put together and posted next week.

v/r,

Rob

Rob

6 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Rob

have a look at as many photos as you can.I think the spinner might have been red instead of orange.

Nick

The AIMS decal sheet shows the spinner to be red but in a shade identical to the springbok and the fin flash.  Not sure if the color in the pic above is off a bit or if AIM's illustration is flawed. 

Hi John

17 hours ago, John1 said:

The AIMS decal sheet shows the spinner to be red but in a shade identical to the springbok and the fin flash.  Not sure if the color in the pic above is off a bit or if AIM's illustration is flawed. 

Looking at the two photos I could find on the net I think the orange was lighter than most decal and kit manufacturers depict. The 1/48 Hasegawa decals depict the orange as almost red. I have not seen the Aims decals but looking at their web site the decal color appears orange, maybe a bit dark. I think the spinner was red as there is quite a difference between the colors in these photos.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

BTW I am loving your Korea Mustang build !

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

2 hours ago, Finn said:

A look at the underside of the wing of a USAF F-51:

671280ad25d80380_large

note the insignia, the inner portion around the star looks to be darker than the outer part.

Jari

OOOh, nice detail shot Jarid.  That will come in handy for my build (assuming I ever find some HVARS)!    Looks like part of the wing is painted black aft of the MG's.  Never saw that before.  Also, anyone know what that antenna is that is scabbed on over the national insignia?   Never noticed that before either.   If you find any more detail shots like that one, please post.  Any problem if I use this one in my ongoing F-51D build?  It's a great illustration of how filthy these aircraft got.  Clearly no putty on that wing.  

Edited by John1

48 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That’s the pitot tube. 

Ahh.. couldn’t tell from the small pic on my phone.  With the unpainted plate over the insignia, I figured it was a retrofitted antenna.