DOUBT New silent compressor?

Mel

I've used the Sil Aire compressor in your oringal post for almost 28 years now. I bought it used in 1991 from a friend. It is extremely quiet as others have posted. Our small wine fridge is louder than it. 

They are not the cheapest option but considering how long I've had mine, I'd say they're worth the cost. 

Carl

13 hours ago, Mel said:

Regarding the sil air 15A, it is 30 db super quiet (I like that a lot) but the boiler is only 1.5L (very small)

My doubts about the sil air 15A:

-Even if the engine starts because of the low capacity of the boiler, can I still use the airbrush with the engine running? (being an ultra quiet engine, no problem if used with the engine started continuously (that's an advantage) am I wrong?)

-Another thing, the issue of oil ... I have read criticism that the oil comes out of the hose (I don't know if it's true) and it gives problems, is it true?

-Another question, when the engine starts or shuts down makes a lot of noise?

-About oil: how long do you have to change it? that's what I dislike a little on the subject of oil, I hope they are not weekly changes, at least it is minimum annual change

-The last question, does it have autonomy to be on for a long time? (basically paint without worry)

To answer your questions Mel even I will double some of the other guys here:

I have TC-15 with 3,5l tank so no problem with continuous running

https://kompressorenshop.de/product/sil-air-15tc/

when the engine starts you can use it sure, that is one thing I like that the pressure is constant every time

in past 2 years there was never any oil in hose. This happend to me with my first own built oil compressor from fridge. Not with Sil-AIR

while starting it’s really quite, however when it will fill the tank it will stop with small pressure release which could be noisy like sneeze :)

they require to change oil every year but I will do it maybe once a 2 years, im just checking oil level once a quarter. But there was need to add small amount of oil after first year. To make it clear, original Sil-AIR oil retails for 10€ so no real cost even if you want to change it every year

once I was running it for more than 2 hours, spraying a lot and It was working properly

I can highly recommend

HTH

jan

16 hours ago, Aptivaboy said:

People will laugh at me, but it works - try the Kopykake compressor. Its intended for bakers and cake decorators, but is very quiet. Some have air pressure regulators, some don't. Mine doesn't and quite frankly, it works fine without it. There's no reservoir so it will turn on everytime to depress the airbrush trigger but as I said, its quiet. I live in a condo and my neighbors have never heard it. 

https://www.kopykake.com/airbrushes-and-compressors/

15 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I've used the Sil Aire compressor in your oringal post for almost 28 years now. I bought it used in 1991 from a friend. It is extremely quiet as others have posted. Our small wine fridge is louder than it. 

They are not the cheapest option but considering how long I've had mine, I'd say they're worth the cost. 

Carl

15 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Seriously Mel, if your budget goes to it just buy a Silair and be done with it, I promise you wont regret it as it is basically silent. If you are looking  for as close to silent as possible most certainly dont go for a piston type compressor.

Regards. Andy

8 hours ago, panzerrob said:

Hi all,

I bought my Sil Air about 20 years ago second hand, and it is still working like it is brand new!

So if I had to buy a new one, it will be a Sil Air again.

With regards,

Rob

7 hours ago, Jan_G said:

To answer your questions Mel even I will double some of the other guys here:

I have TC-15 with 3,5l tank so no problem with continuous running

https://kompressorenshop.de/product/sil-air-15tc/

when the engine starts you can use it sure, that is one thing I like that the pressure is constant every time

in past 2 years there was never any oil in hose. This happend to me with my first own built oil compressor from fridge. Not with Sil-AIR

while starting it’s really quite, however when it will fill the tank it will stop with small pressure release which could be noisy like sneeze :)

they require to change oil every year but I will do it maybe once a 2 years, im just checking oil level once a quarter. But there was need to add small amount of oil after first year. To make it clear, original Sil-AIR oil retails for 10€ so no real cost even if you want to change it every year

once I was running it for more than 2 hours, spraying a lot and It was working properly

I can highly recommend

HTH

jan

Guys, in the end thanks to your advice and contributions, and to the research I did based on your opinions, the winner who will come home will be SIL AIR 15 D

30dB with 4 liters of boiler

The only thing is the oil issue (in that aspect I am new)

Thank you very much you have helped me a lot when choosing the compressor and I am sure it is the best option.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who helped me, THANK YOU!

Edited by Mel

36 years ago I purchased my first Silent Air compressor after my John Brown compressor shelled. 4 years ago I had to replace that Silent Air compressor after 32 years of perfect service. I replaced it with this Panther unit. I believe it is all manufactured by Silent-Air also. https://www.werther.com/assets/pdfs/silent-compressor-packages/P50-24 AL Flyer.pdf  I purchased both units from Werther International in Houston. I have no complaints about my Panther. It silently sits next to my build-bench. I hardly notice it run.  My music is louder than the compressor. There are a lot of good choices out there, this is mine.

Jager

You can't go wrong with the Silent Air compressors if you have to money.  I've had my 20A for over 12 years and it is still going strong not to mention it's as quiet as my fridge.  I've never had oil in my air line but it does require some basic maintenance.  The oil needs to be changed from time to time and there is a valve on the bottom of mine that needs to be drained about once a year.  It gets moisture and oil in the tank that settles to the bottom.  As long as you maintain it properly, it will last for years.

My buddy has a Co2 tank and he really likes it but I'm not sure what your management would think if they saw you dragging that scary looking tank into you apartment. :o

I think you will be happy with you decision.

Bryan