Heads Up! Mig-29UB on sale for $50

Dave Williams

1 hour ago, 32scalelover said:

What the heck?? I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.  Hopefully they don't write and say they ran out.....

If you were actually able to purchase one (IE it let you put it in the cart) then you got in. If it went out of stock right before you went to buy it, it would not have let you put it in the cart, and you would have gotten a "Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock" message instead. 

45 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Did you choose expedited?  My order isn’t arriving until next Wednesday, but I selected the normal shipping.

I got a shipping notice for Friday arrival as well, and used the cheapest $9-ish shipping option via FedEx.  I also ordered very early yesterday morning, and I am in NE, which is not a far jump from Squadron in TX, so proximity to Squadron and timing may effect it.  I would think shipping from TX to FL might take a bit longer. 

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Unless you do a -29 in flight, the intake doors are closed on the ground. The upper flapper intakes open when the engine is running but the main intake doors are still closed until its airborne.

Thanks!  That makes it really nice, not having to mess with full intakes. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

If you were actually able to purchase one (IE it let you put it in the cart) then you got in. If it went out of stock right before you went to buy it, it would not have let you put it in the cart, and you would have gotten a "Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock" message instead.

I was in stock when I ordered it and it currently says "processing" on their site.  I choose economy shipping for $9.95 so hopefully I will get it next week.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Unless you do a -29 in flight, the intake doors are closed on the ground. The upper flapper intakes open when the engine is running but the main intake doors are still closed until its airborne.

Back OT, I don't think squadron made any money on this flash sale ..

Its not true about the front intake doors always being closed on the ground.  Plenty of photos of MiG-29s sitting on the ramp with the doors open.  Also, photos of them with intake covers, which would be unnecessary if the doors were always closed.

22 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Its not true about the front intake doors always being closed on the ground.  Plenty of photos of MiG-29s sitting on the ramp with the doors open.  Also, photos of them with intake covers, which would be unnecessary if the doors were always closed.

You are indeed correct after a quick scan of Google. However, it does seem to show that the majority of photos of Mig-29s on the ground show engines running, upper slatted intakes open, and main intakes w/the 3 screens apiece closed. Seems like they were closed on the ground, engines running or not, most of the time, which is really handy for accurate display purposes of a big 32nd model like a Mig-29UB. 

8 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

You are indeed correct after a quick scan of Google. However, it does seem to show that the majority of photos of Mig-29s on the ground show engines running, upper slatted intakes open, and main intakes w/the 3 screens apiece closed. Seems like they were closed on the ground, engines running or not, most of the time, which is really handy for accurate display purposes of a big 32nd model like a Mig-29UB. 

Photos of unoccupied MiG-29s sitting on the ramp almost always show either the intake doors open, or external intake covers or plugs in place.  I’m 99.9% sure the intake doors are hydraulically operated and as soon as the hydraulics go away, the doors open.  There may be a way to lock them down without the engines running, but that seems rare.  Unless you want to depict an aircraft on the ground with the engine running, I’d leave the doors open, or use an intake cover.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Serbia-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29-9-13/4654855?qsp=eJwtjMEKwjAQRP9lz3qpINib3kUP/sCyGdpgNWF3wYbSfzep3mbmMW8hSW/H7I%2BSQT0ZWGWkHWVWfhn1Cz1RPklDzXSNw747VWpJ/VLqEthxFkF2hP9%2B0wBtCCabaGji9srQ%2B68djrWGaHnizQLnONG6fgFxcC6c

https://www.airliners.net/photo/North-Korea-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29-9-13/4146827?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRe8ya11oQbA73YsuvMAw%2BdRgNWFmoIbSu5tUd%2B%2B/D28mSW/Hx%2B8lg3oysMqDNpRZ%2BWXUz/REmZKGynSJw3Z/rK8l9XOpJrDjJILsCH9/1QBtF0zW0NDCu64x9Pab3aHOEC2PvGbgHEdali%2Ba2C7H

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Poland-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29GT-9-51/2852585?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRe8ya11UQbA73YsuvMAw86nBasJkQEPp3U1ad%2B%2B/D28iiW/H1%2B8lgXrKYJMHbSix8StTP9ET5RNNK9MlDNvdsb45mp9LNcqOkwiSQ//%2BagprF7IsoaGFu0Nj2G2d%2BzY15DTykoFzGGmef5tKLso%3D

Edited by Dave Williams

Here is what I found in my Mig-29 book...

The FOD protection doors close automatically during engine starting when hydraulic pressure reaches nominal and open when the aircraft accelerates to 200km/h IAS during take-off.

They close again when the airspeed drops below 200km/h, reopening after engine shutdown. Source: Mikoyan MiG-29 by Yefim Gordon.

After touching down, during the landing roll at V < 200km/h, the air intake axial inlet is closed by the ramp front panel doors.

I guess I stand corrected, I do have way more of pix of them with closed intakes on the ground. I even have one with one open and one closed,. Luckily Brian can do his fulcrum either way and it won't (shouldn't?) be inaccurate. 

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I guess I stand corrected, I do have way more of pix of them with closed intakes on the ground. I even have one with one open and one closed,. Luckily Brian can do his fulcrum either way and it won't (shouldn't?) be inaccurate. 

Like this picture?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Poland-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29A-9-12A/2830373?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRe8ya11UQbA73YsuvMAw86nBasJkQEPp3U1ad%2B%2B/D28iiW/H1%2B8lgXrKYJMHbSix8StTP9ET5RNNK9MlDNvdsb45mp9LNcqOkwiSQ//%2BagprF7IsoaGFu0Nj2G2d%2BzY15DTykoFzGGmef5tKLso%3D

There is a pilot in the cockpit and the heat haze behind the rear indicates that at least one engine is running.