Revell FW-190F8

RadBaron

She's moving towards the finish line!

I modified the tail wheel leg to be able.to be inserted after painting and whatnot. In it goes!

20190910_181417

I painted the main wheel bays before assembly, but was too lazy to mask them before painting, so they're getting repainted. 

Staining and dirtification is beginning. The giant black streaks on the left of the centre line rack are a mistake, so just pretend they're not there :D

20190910_181436

Just lots of dirtying and chipping and experimenting with pencils and paints. Good fun!

20190910_181535

And an overall view. For this build I used the Brassin wheels. They got all nice and painted up and in a recent bench-tidy, i seem to have misplaced the wheel centres. Frustrating. I'll either use just the kit wheels or maybe the kit wheel centres on the brassin tyres. One way or another, she'll be finished soon! I might try taking some good pictures for the RFI post!

20190910_181512

This has been a fantastic learning tool, and I'm looking forward to use techniques that I trialled on this build, on future builds. I can see a Dragon ME110 peering at the soon to be free space on the bench already!

Cheers,

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

59 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Am I the only one seeing these photos as if I’m underwater?  Or there’s Vaseline smeared on the lens?

Darn, you caught me! Vaseline every time, it's a handy trick I learned from Hollywood! You can't see all my mistakes if you can't see the model :D:D:D

I was unsure the quality of pictures, I view these forums through the lenses of a mobile phone, so I've no idea how it looks on a full sized screen. 

How are the pictures now? 

Thanks for the head up, Jennings!

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

50 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

Thanks mate, coming from someone with your abilities, I appreciate you saying!

Thanks, but I'm one of the lesser talented modelers on this site!

It's great fun feeling the modelling mojo coming back :D

That's always a great feeling!

It tends to ebb and flow, and when you love something and the passion is gone its not a great feeling........but it's the BEST when something hits the spot and you feel that spark come back.

really nice overall look

i like the chipping / pencil (whatever) worn effects on the wing roots where crew would climb on; maybe a little overdone on wing leading edge (I don't have pics of F-8s to hand to verify), but either way they look nice 

presumably the drop tank is to be weathered? sorry if this is up next etc - it looks very clean compared to what's above it!

i hope to make this bird one day and when i do I hope it comes out as good looking as this one!

On 9/10/2019 at 8:39 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks, but I'm one of the lesser talented modelers on this site!

ppppppppppppppp  yeah right.  How many trophies do you have Brian ?

sYTmL0T.jpg?1

... er Mr. Modesty  ;)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:29 AM, nmayhew said:

really nice overall look

i like the chipping / pencil (whatever) worn effects on the wing roots where crew would climb on; maybe a little overdone on wing leading edge (I don't have pics of F-8s to hand to verify), but either way they look nice 

presumably the drop tank is to be weathered? sorry if this is up next etc - it looks very clean compared to what's above it!

i hope to make this bird one day and when i do I hope it comes out as good looking as this one!

Yes, I agree that the leading edges are a bit coarse. I've been using torn up sponge to dab on mask to 'chip' the paint, but it was applied bit heavy there. I'll know better for next time :D

for the droptank, it will be weathered a bit, but by it's very nature, ie being discarded after use, i didnt think they'd get AS weathered as the rest of the plane. I'm sure there are pics that show the opposite of that, but at this point, a light wash and maybe some stains, and that'll do it :D

I appreciate your comments, and look forward to your build!