Revell FW-190F8

RadBaron

Gday everyone, longtime lurker first time (in-progress) poster. 

I'm using an old photo bucket account for my pictures but am considering different options in the future depending on how the pics look on here. Input and comments welcome. 

Anyway, the build. Revell's 190s. Fantastic bang for the buck, y'all know what to expect. This one is an OOTB to break in a new airbrush, new paints and some new surface detailing techniques. Some more successfully than others. 

Construction is fine, plenty of mold lines to clean off, but overall very nice fit. Construction progressed smoothly.

20190903_173352.jpg

20190903_173549.jpg

And onto the main event. Black primer over everything. Plenty of flaws, but this one has no ambitions of being a contest winner. I've drawn on rivet lines and carved out a stressed skin look, to break up the shiny smooth surfaces. 

20190903_173621.jpg

Alclad airframe aluminium down over areas to be chipped later

20190903_173654.jpg 

Next up, some fancy MRP paints!

Thanks for reading.

D

Edited by RadBaron

Colouring in time!

I used MRP paints and I am in love! For someone who spent the last 30 years using enamels exclusively, I'm.glad to finally have tried these "new" paints. Brilliant stuff. Which means paint jobs like these can be done in a single evening!

20190903_162026.jpg

Markings masked and sprayed

20190903_162055.jpg

Preparing for paint chipping. Maskol applied with a sponge.

20190903_162127.jpg

Kit decals applied.

20190903_162208.jpg

Starting the weathering

20190903_162258.jpg

20190903_162401.jpg

Home straight now!

Thanks for looking in!

D

Thanks for the heads-up, Nick! 

MRP are a revelation after struggling with modern, environmentally friendly enamels!

Thank you! The exhaust was done with with VERY thin black (in this case, just Gunze black primer), built up over a dozen or so coats, using reference pics to see where the exhaust flowed on the real thing. Very very light coats, applied in a bit of an erratic fashion, to try to keep from having too uniform a stain.

I'm still trying to figure out how Chris Wauchop does his!

https://chriswauchop.com/2014/11/06/hasegawa-132-focke-wulf-fw-190-a-5/

Cheers!

Denzil

so i am very much a novice on painting exhaust stains, but one of the things I only picked up late in the day is that they are not always dark

CW's 190 has light streaks in there as well

i actually think yours look better than his 190 btw - he hasn't got the light bits looking 'right' - just my worthless opinion of course!

re MRP, try their exhaust stains, it's very slightly brown, suuuuper thinned already, and worked a treat on my first ever attempt at spraying 'live' onto a camo scheme (where if you F it up, the model is going against the nearest wall at high velocity :blowup:)

MRP-180 Exhaust Soot

IMG_1321-1600x1600.jpg

I too love, LOVE MRP!  I have found that re: exhaust staining.............

I gave this a shot for the first time and am in LOVE:

tamiya81019.jpg

The reason I so heartily recommend this stuff, is it shoots nearly as well as normal smoke does, but is matt, but the main thing is because its enamel, if you dont like the exhaust stains you just sprayed on, since its enamel, if you used MRP it wipes right off with some mineral spirits, and can be re-done. 

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll give both a try!

Nick, i appreciate the compliment! according to reference pics, there's a LOT of room to play with how dirty you want to make the 190s. Pics show lightly dusted, to utterly filthy and everything in between. I wanted to be a bit less heavy handed with this build, I'm sure in time I'll find a happy medium, but I'm happy with how this one turned out :D

Denzil

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I too love, LOVE MRP!  I have found that re: exhaust staining.............

I gave this a shot for the first time and am in LOVE:

tamiya81019.jpg

The reason I so heartily recommend this stuff, is it shoots nearly as well as normal smoke does, but is matt, but the main thing is because its enamel, if you dont like the exhaust stains you just sprayed on, since its enamel, if you used MRP it wipes right off with some mineral spirits, and can be re-done. 

that bottle would set off my OCD I'm afraid B)