curiouslysophie

Spray booth for MRP paint

Hi!

I’m looking at getting a spray booth now I’ve moved to MRP paints. I use a mask while spraying, but don’t have close access to windows where I build. I am also worried that a lot of reviews for booths say not to use them with solvent paints.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spray booth that I can get that would be good for solvent based paints and if possible doesn’t need to be vented outside.

Thank you!

If there is a dryer vent that isn't being used, you can use it.  You can also vent up and out an eave.  Beyond that, there are no options for non-ventilated systems outside of using a water/charcoal bath.  There isn't much if anything that would be strong enough for that type of system on the hobby market.

As far as the solvent warnings, you can only use flammable paints with squirrel cage fan or a type with sealed bushings.  Otherwise you risk ignition.

7 hours ago, nichenson said:

If there is a dryer vent that isn't being used, you can use it.  You can also vent up and out an eave.  Beyond that, there are no options for non-ventilated systems outside of using a water/charcoal bath.  There isn't much if anything that would be strong enough for that type of system on the hobby market.

Sadly I live in a Victorian terrace house and the only space I can build in is my room which is centrally located in the building. I plan on moving next year so hopefully will have a better area for a spray booth. Till then it’ll be a mask I guess.

By mask I hope you are referring to a respirator with NIOSH rated filters to filter out the organic solvents and not a paper mask as those will only stop particulates. It's also important that the respirator fit tightly. If you can still smell the solvent with it on, it's not properly sealed or the filters need replaced !

5 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

By mask I hope you are referring to a respirator with NIOSH rated filters to filter out the organic solvents and not a paper mask as those will only stop particulates. It's also important that the respirator fit tightly. If you can still smell the solvent with it on, it's not properly sealed or the filters need replaced !

Yes, I have a 3M respirator with the organic vapours filters. I’m my line of work we often have to deal with noxious fumes, so I’m quite used to breathing gear

6 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Sadly I live in a Victorian terrace house and the only space I can build in is my room which is centrally located in the building. I plan on moving next year so hopefully will have a better area for a spray booth. Till then it’ll be a mask I guess.

Maybe you could run the outlet hose from the spray booth that would normally be fed out a window into a sealed container of water? I've used that and it works well.

HTH Matty

Can you get to any window? You can buy extension hoses for dryers that are fairly inexpensive. Even if you have to run 20-30 feet temporarily, that would be a good solution.  

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Can you get to any window? You can buy extension hoses for dryers that are fairly inexpensive. Even if you have to run 20-30 feet temporarily, that would be a good solution.  

That would do nothing as that much tubing would cause too much static pressure for any hobby booth to overcome including something like the Ace Peacemaker.  15 feet total length without any bends in non-corrugated ducting is about the limit without using booster fans along the way.

33 minutes ago, Neo said:

I remember that Artograph booths had some pretty solid filtering

https://www.artograph.com/spraybooths/1530-hobby-model/

Yes, the 1530 is what I have and its wonderful.   I truly love it.   Its got 3 layers of filtering actually....................a thick charcoal layer, a slightly thinner less dense particulate layer on top of that, and finally a thin cloth like pull over top layer. Its readily cleaned easy too.  BEST money I've ever spent on the hobby. 

My setup has about 8 ft (guesstimate) of tubing and has worked for years wonderfully with a yearly cleaning of the paint booth and the exhaust tubes.  With custom made window section with cutouts for the exhaust tubes, and 1-way dryer vents and cages on the outside:

DSC01772-XL.jpg

MR_3-XL.jpg

14 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Sadly the windows are just too far for any affordable spray booth to work with.

9 hours ago, Neo said:

I remember that Artograph booths had some pretty solid filtering

https://www.artograph.com/spraybooths/1530-hobby-model/

They look pretty good, seem to be discontinued though?

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

My setup has about 8 ft (guesstimate) of tubing and has worked for years wonderfully with a yearly cleaning of the paint booth and the exhaust tubes.  With custom made window section with cutouts for the exhaust tubes, and 1-way dryer vents and cages on the outside:

DSC01772-XL.jpg

MR_3-XL.jpg

Great setup! I can only hope to have a decent space to work in eventually!

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Sophie here is my set up, it vents straight under the floor. My model shack is on stilts.

33094528198_be89314514_b.jpgSpray Booth by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

That is quite a good way of venting! I’m in rented accommodation so sadly I can’t make any modifications.

Thank you for all the advice guys. I think for now I will have to wait till I move to a new place in the new year and can have a better setup near a window. For now I’ll stick with the respirator.

Benchvent makes excellent sprayboots, some with carbon filter so you should be able to use them without a hose. Prices are high but they offer lifetime warranty. Not sure if they have US distributor.