1/32 Trumpeter Me-262 A-1

curiouslysophie

Now that I’ve finished the 190 I’m on to the next project, an Me-262!

I got the Trumpeter kit And a good selection of aftermarket including the CMK cockpit and wheel bays, Eduardo wheels and PE sets, HGW seatbelts and wet transfers, Yahu panel, and of course a Montex mask set.

So far I have assembled the cockpit and gun bay. The CMK kit despite being cheaper doesn’t have as much nice detail as the Aires one and needs a good amount of fettling to fit together. It looks nicer in person than in photos. You can also see some of the stick on weights I used in the forward bay. There will be another 20g behind the gun bay too which seems to be enough to keep it on the nose wheel.

clFL2aA.jpg

bhYPdpL.jpg

The gun bay is from the kit with some added wiring and some transfers from the HGW set.

ci3Iiu5.jpg

LvPkyKf.jpg

So far this is all I’ve done, but I think it should be a faster assembly than the 190. I hope you all like it!

Edited by curiouslysophie

18 hours ago, reconspit said:

...that is really looking good..., very inspiring...:goodjob:

Thank you!

10 hours ago, wpierson said:

I'm seriously liking the cockpit!

Thanks :) It does look better in person. Macro shot on my phone tends to highlight the flaws.

47 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey ! slow down ! you're making me feel inadequate !!

DQ6oZpJ.png

Haha, I need to get through the stash! Too many fun planes I want to build!

4 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Nice progress Sophie, what type of weight have you used in the gun bay, are they adhesive weights used for balancing car wheels or something like that?

Regards. Andy 

I believe they are for that. I searched for stick on weights on eBay and these came up. They stick on nice and solidly. I used them in rc tanks for extra weight.

1 hour ago, shadowmare said:

Assemble whole model on tape and check if this amount of weight is enought , I filled whole nose of my Revell 262. I used fishing lead which is very easy to cut.

I have put the wings, tail, etc on and tested the centre of gravity. It is definitely forward of the main wheels. 

No new pictures, but I have been steaming ahead! The wings are on and one of the engine nacelles is in place. I’m currently detailing the other engine.

I had a bit if a disaster though! I dropped and pretty badly scratched the windscreen. Spent ages with micro mesh polishing it, but it’s never going to be as good as brand new sadly :crying:I don’t know whether I can get a replacement in the UK?

I’ll show some more pictures when I have something exciting to show.

Maybe this will help you:

http://hamfisted-modeller.blogspot.com/2019/04/getting-spare-parts-hamfisted-modellers.html

But getting part may take time.

Recently i used Mr Laplos and Polishing Compount to remove big and deep scratches from real glass which is much harder than plastic, and it worked so maybe all is not lost.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:58 AM, curiouslysophie said:

Thank you!

Thanks :) It does look better in person. Macro shot on my phone tends to highlight the flaws.

Haha, I need to get through the stash! Too many fun planes I want to build!

I agree. I don't have enough time left on this world to build one kit a year like some people so I've been trying to knock out an average of a kit per month and I've come pretty close. I used to collect Magic the Gathering cards but spent more time trying to finish sets than actually playing the game so I sold the lot and bought models instead.

30 minutes ago, shadowmare said:

Maybe this will help you:

http://hamfisted-modeller.blogspot.com/2019/04/getting-spare-parts-hamfisted-modellers.html

But getting part may take time.

Recently i used Mr Laplos and Polishing Compount to remove big and deep scratches from real glass which is much harder than plastic, and it worked so maybe all is not lost.

Thanks for the link! Very useful to know where to get spares from. I don't want to wait for a part from china. It doesn't look perfect, but I'll live with it. It'll give me an excuse to do another 262 at some point!

18 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I agree. I don't have enough time left on this world to build one kit a year like some people so I've been trying to knock out an average of a kit per month and I've come pretty close. I used to collect Magic the Gathering cards but spent more time trying to finish sets than actually playing the game so I sold the lot and bought models instead.

That's a good level of productivity! It's lovely to have a nice stash, but I've decided no more new kits till I've finished a few of the ones I have. That'll motivate me to get going on them. I only build at weekends, so it takes me a bit longer, but it's a nice distraction from work and writing my PhD proposal!