Looking for a new airbrush.

Aptivaboy

The title says it all. I’ve used various Paasche VLs for nearly 20 years and they’ve been great brushes, but lately I find myself wanting more - better sharp line control, more consistent spraying, and ease of cleanup and disassembly; I usually spray acrylics. Easily obtainable small parts and gravity feed would be outstanding; that's been the thing keeping me with the VL for so long. I’d like to not spend north of $175.

I’ve looked at the Grex and Paasche’s higher end models (Talon and Vision), but the reviews seem mixed, people either love them or hate them, and the machining seems to be hit or miss, either perfect or things like the needles are out of center.  When they work, they’re outstanding and the price is right, but... When they work.

So, any ideas? Any suggestions? I’m in the USA, if that matters. Thank you for any pointers.

Bob

I don't know if it would be something you would like or not, but I just bought a Badger Renegade Velocity and I love it.  It comes with a .2mm needle and I bought a .3mm from Amazon for heavier work.  This thing can spray an exceptionally fine line, but for models I want a broader pattern and I still mask.  I used a Badger siphon feed for years and had excellent luck with it.   I guess I'm partial to Badger because they're made in the USA and they have excellent customer service. 

I don't know what your budget is, but my Renegade Velocity was $125 from Amazon and the .3 needle kit was another $25.

Larry

I have an Iwata HP-C and really like it. The only drawback it has an absolutely tiny threaded nozzle. You have to take a lot of care cleaning it and threading it back together. As far as function goes it's about perfect for me. I did pick up one of the less expensive Harder and Steenbeck airbrushes an Ultra for its easier to clean, unthreaded nozzle. I have had it for 3 months now and have not put a drop of paint through it because the Iwata works so well.

Edited by AlbertD

1 hour ago, DonH said:

Have a look at the Sparmax range. I think they are good quality for a decent price. 

Absolutely!! I’ve got the Sparmax GP35, best a/b I’ve ever used for every reason: price, ease of use, control, grip, cleaning. Ticks every box.

I used an Iwata w 0.3mm needle for years - a trusty workhorse, but also a pain in the backside to clean; very fiddly once the trigger was removed

I bought a Harder and Steenbeck AL Plus 0.2mm needle and it is awesome

Very easy to clean

Combines with the excellent MRP paint range so that now I feel I can paint almost anything (and I am not a great airbrusher)

https://www.harder-airbrush.eu/en/evolution-108.html#evolutional

I am investigating a 0.18 nozzle for even finer work, but I have to say I am very pleased with my AL Plus

Hope this helps.

I recently got a Badger Renegade Krome. This ab is a Scale model adapted version of the Velocity 

I really love it comes out of the box with 2 needle size

Currently 104$ on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-RK-1-Additional-Regulator/dp/B0078MEXX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=badger+krome&qid=1567345977&s=gateway&sr=8-1

15 hours ago, Aptivaboy said:

El título lo dice todo. Usó varios VL de Paasche durante casi 20 años y han sido excelentes pinceles, pero últimamente me encontré con ganas de más: mejor control de línea afilada, pulverización más consistente y facilidad de limpieza y desmontaje; Usualmente rocio acrílicos. Las piezas pequeñas y la alimentación por gravedad fácilmente obtenibles fácilmente sobresalientes; Eso ha sido lo que me siguió con el VL durante tanto tiempo. Me gustaría no gastar al norte de $ 175.

Él vio los modelos de gama alta de Grex y Paasche (Talon y Visión), pero las modificaciones que parecen variadas, la gente las ama o las odias, y el mecanizado parece ser impredecible, perfecto o cosas como las agujas son fuera del centro. Cuando trabaja, son excepcionales y el precio es correcto, pero ... Cuando trabaja.

Entonces, ¿alguna idea? ¿Alguna sugerencia? Estoy en los Estados Unidos, si eso importa. Gracias por cualquier sugerencia.

Agente de mudanzas

Hello, I am the new one of the forum, I hope that my opinion does not bother you, sincerely from my experience, an Ab 300 chaves, these airbrushes are authentic tanks and are cheap, about 25 euros/27USD/36 CAD/22,64 Pounds approx, other airbrushes such as iwata (To give an example of airbrushes that are the best in the market), they are good if, very good, but for modeling you really do not need more, the iwata (for example) are not only designed for modeling,they are also for airbrushing professional, I would recommend the chaves, these airbrushes are indestructible (in my experience) believe me that I used them without exaggerating 12 hours a day at full power, changing paints, using industrial solvent to clean the airbrush ... it is incredible what hold on and for scale models they work perfect

https://www.amazon.es/B-Aerografo-Sogolee-Ab-300/dp/B00H1EEKCC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=aerografo+chaves&qid=1567347664&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by Mel

I have an Iwata CR Revolution 0.3mm airbrush. It is a great brush to use but the only drawback is that it is a complete pain to clean fully.

I'm thinking of changing to a H&S Evolution V2 2 in 1 (0.2mm & 0.4mm needles). Heard good things about these airbrushes

I've got a HS Infinity, and an Iwata HP-CS as well as an Iwata Neo top feed. 

All great brushes......the H&S is king of the fine line work, but the needles are super, SUPER delicate, unless they have indeed changed their metallurgy formula for them, as I've bent 5 or 6 since I've had it.

The Iwata HS is my workhorse, and is nearly capable of the stuff the H&S is, but the needle is SUPER stout, even after I've dropped it on the tip. If you can only afford 1 brush, I cant recommend the Iwata HP-CS enough. Its a very capable all around excellent brush that is very resistant and very easy to clean.

I know with these questions you get everyone's favorite as a suggestion which is fine as most airbrushes are either direct copies of others or so radically different that you either hate or love them. 

My concern though is that you mentioned quality issues with Grex.  I am curious if you have seen this first hand or just read that online.  I own five of their airbrushes and have yet to come across any quality issue.  If there ever is an issue, you can send it to them to fix which they will gladly do.  I absolutely love my Grex brushes as they have so many options and most of the parts are interchangeable between.  I have yet to come across anywhere else that you can go from a 0.2mm nozzle up to 0.7 in the same brush within seconds.  The only restrictive one is the single action short which isn't sold anymore, I don't think. 

I have others.  I have always used Badger and gotten at least one during their annual sale.  They have such a variety as well but nothing is interchangeable. 

Regardless, you need something you can hold in your hand comfortably.  Beyond that the only thing that matters is quality.  Everything else is self learning like how to thin, controlling air, and diagnosing the spray patterns. 

Hi Nichenson,

I've not seen it in person, but I have heard about it from multiple online sources and reviews. The issue seems to be machining, where the needles don't sit perfectly centered. For myself, that isn't enough to stop me from buying one potentially since I've used the VL for years, and while a solid, bulletproof airbrush, trust me, the needles are rarely if ever centered and I still got more than acceptable performance. I did see a review on Youtube awhile back that showed some of the issues but can't find it now to post it. Having said this, the Paasche Vision and Talon brushes have significantly more serious problems with centering. What makes me look at them despite this is the ready availability of spare parts, needles, etc. I'm also looking at a Sotar 20/20. I've always loved the look of that brush. 

Mel, those look like nice brushes. Interestingly, they look exactly like the Grex without the plastic hand holds. I'm wondering if they aren't built on license from Grex, or if they're just similar looking - similar uses leading to very similar designs?

Bob

PS. Nichenson, do you know if the Grex is made in the USA?

Edited by Aptivaboy

A lot of people speak of Harder and Steenbeck like they are the ultimate in airbrushes.

I have an Infinity CR Plus and I do not like the trigger mechanism feel.  It is notchy and it is sometimes hard to really know if paint is flowing or not flowing.

I actually much prefer my Iwata HP-CH; much better trigger feel, and the air valve on the airbrush itself is a game changer rendering airbrushes without that feature not so desirable. 

It does have a tiny threaded nozzle and you do need the supplied wrench to remove it, but I have never had an issue with that, nor do I take it off for cleaning very often.

Just to throw a spanner in the works...

I bought an Iwata HP-CS (hobby lobby 40% off is the best thing ever!), and it works perfectly. No surprises, everything you expect from Iwata's reputation. 

But then I started painting with alclad metallics and decided I should have a dedicated Metallics airbrush, lest I contaminate finishes with metallic residue. 

Buying another iwata (or similarly priced airbrush) was out of the question, so I looked at alternatives. These popped up:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162519536599

For $20 I was willing to take a gamble on something I didn't plan on using often and if Worst cane to worst, I'd have a spare airbrush hose. 

Turns out, i now use the Chinese cheapo brush more than I use the iwata. So I bought a second Chinese-cheapy for the metallics. I just finished spraying the mottling on a 1/32 FW190 using the cheap airbrush, and because the lines were so sharp and fine, it looked like I'd masked the mottling, as opposed to free handing it like I actually did. I went back over it all to add more of a feathered edge!

Food for thought. 

DC

1 hour ago, Aptivaboy said:

Hi Nichenson,

I've not seen it in person, but I have heard about it from multiple online sources and reviews. The issue seems to be machining, where the needles don't sit perfectly centered. For myself, that isn't enough to stop me from buying one potentially since I've used the VL for years, and while a solid, bulletproof airbrush, trust me, the needles are rarely if ever centered and I still got more than acceptable performance. I did see a review on Youtube awhile back that showed some of the issues but can't find it now to post it. Having said this, the Paasche Vision and Talon brushes have significantly more serious problems with centering. What makes me look at them despite this is the ready availability of spare parts, needles, etc. I'm also looking at a Sotar 20/20. I've always loved the look of that brush. 

Mel, those look like nice brushes. Interestingly, they look exactly like the Grex without the plastic hand holds. I'm wondering if they aren't built on license from Grex, or if they're just similar looking - similar uses leading to very similar designs?

Bob

PS. Nichenson, do you know if the Grex is made in the USA?

They are manufactured in Taiwan.

It is possible that some of the early airbrushes had faults, but since they changed some of the line up, like I stated before, I haven't seen a single issue.  I don't know how it could really be possible for the needle to misaligned considering how the tip seats.

As for the comment to Mel, like I had stated, a vast majority of the airbrushes out there are copies of each other.  Very few are "original" so it really comes down to quality.  I have seen even a cheap Harbor Freight do very well if it is stripped down, cleaned, and any imperfections corrected.