Any Mosquito Conversions Out There?

John1

No conversions that I know of for the Tamiya Mosquito.  Don’t think there are any for the HK kit either.  Only for the old Revell kit.

It’s strange, you’d think a NF II conversion for the Tamiya kit and a PR XVI conversion for the HK kit would be fairly easy.

Edited by Dave Williams

I  looked around a good deal for NF conversions for doing my Mk.XXX from the Revell kit. To no avail. I finally decided to use the Grey Matter two stage nacelles and an old Paragon interior and canopy set to start with. I had to scratch build the bull-nose. Upsized the plan for this from  the Modelers Datafile No.1 Mosquito- good for other detail issues as well. A lot of work ,but it got there. Still cheaper than using the Tamiya as the base kit. However,  the Tamiya probably would have produced a nicer result ultimately. Still good with what I ended up with though.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

There wouldn’t be any point in two-stage Merlins for the Tamiya kit.  No FB ever had them.  All the two-stage birds were bomber noses.  I’ve implored Paul Fisher to consider a bomber conversion for Tamiya’s FB, since the HK kit is so dodgy in the nose area.  Perhaps if he got 50-100 other people imploring him might give him the impetus once he gets back up and running.

BTW, Paul has moved back to Paradise and is living in an RV until such time as they rebuild...  I told him if I rebuilt I’d have the entire exterior clad in asbestos...

Certainly, some of the later FBs and NFs had two stage Merlins, although they were more common on bombers. I also would like a bomber conversion for the Tamiya kit

I would advise Paul not to use asbestos (tongue in cheek maybe?), but rather to bury the main part of the house and design for future calamities.

14 hours ago, John1 said:

Personally, I’d love a NF conversion.  Or failing that, a set of rockets so I could do a Banff Strike Wing bird.  

Exactly

For all the raving about Banff Mossies, there’s still no way* to model the bloody things!

*correctly / easily 

18 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

There wouldn’t be any point in two-stage Merlins for the Tamiya kit.  No FB ever had them.  All the two-stage birds were bomber noses...

Negative. The NF.XXX (and post war NF.36 etc) used two-stage Merlins. It was built in relatively large numbers. .

I was shown drawings or prototypes for a Universal bullnose but nothing seems to have happened with it. The Tamiya would provide a great basis for an NF.XVII, NF.XIX or Swedish J.30 with that item (along with the appropriate RAD/NAV cockpit gear etc). 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
editing