Bruce_Crosby

Hi Richard,

Your guess is as good as mine as there's only the picture on that posting and I think it's nylon or similar.  Hence the term Lanyard, meaning its not wire or cable.  Plus who puts wire cable on a parachute?  It's not spliced, there are definitely two bits of lanyard there.  Might just be looped round for a sliding fit, or might be whipped.  It's not cemented in place yet, so if anyone's got a better picture of a similar assembly?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

24 minutes ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

Hi Richard,

Your guess is as good as mine as there's only the picture on that posting and I think it's nylon or similar.  Hence the term Lanyard, meaning its not wire or cable.  Plus who puts wire cable on a parachute?  It's not spliced, there are definitely two bits of lanyard there.  Might just be looped round for a sliding fit, or might be whipped.  It's not cemented in place yet, so if anyone's got a better picture of a similar assembly?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

48866788306_5f038515cd_c.jpg

The two lines at the top are almost certainly wire, and spliced, whipped beyond the splice and with a thimble in the eye (I'm a rope nerd - you'll have guessed)

To me, the bit going into the box could be two lines, if so they are whipped together near the shackle and again half way into the bag. One of the strands has got a coloured fibre in it (it makes splicing easier, you don't get as lost as if all three strands are identical) like this:

ropetwistedpolydac-lg.jpg

Where the whipping is, the coloured fibre has disappeared

As I said, nit-picking stuff. It might add a bit of visual interest to the lanyard though

And rule one always applies - it's your model, build it as you want

Richard

Hi Richard,

I blew up the photo and it’s definitely two parts going back into the bag.  And as you said, it’s whipped in two places, just as it meets the shackle and  and about half way back to the bag.  I’ll use ultra thin lead wire for that.  Yes, the two cables attached to the shackle are just that, metal cables.  They run out to anchor points on the ends of the axles, but looped in the run so that they will angle back at about 60 degrees to the centre line when deployed.  They are tied up to all the support legs and the back of the axle with either thin metal wire or nylon breaking cable, probably about 25 kg breaking strain as the wire cable needs to be quite hefty to stop the trolley which is going to be travelling at well over 100mph when the chute opens.

Edit:  the shackle is a 912 pattern (914 is the round type) but I’m not sure of the size, probably F or G.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Agreed. Wire for strength in the upper bits, stranded rope for the lanyard to give a bit of shock absorption

I've always admired people who can splice wire cable like that. It's supposed to be hard to work because of the stiffness, and bloody dangerous because of the sharp ends. The cables on my Sturmey Archer were bad enough...

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

At the moment this project has stalled.  Having a panic about how the RATO units would be mounted.  I hope to pick it up again soon.  However, there has been one change, I moved the front strut that connects the Me-262 and the He-162 as the lower end was in the middle of a panel.  It just irked me and eventually I pulled it off, filled the hole and relocated the strut back on a frame line where it could actually bear some load.  With the angle change, I needed to shorten the strut and re-angle the ends that fit into the two airframes.  Then blend in the damaged painted bits, prime and touch up.  

I'll try and get some photos up later.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Some photos of the nose strut relocation.

You can see the bottom end of the strut was smack in the middle of a panel.  Not good!

48825621482_9a2dbec3d1_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

48813550122_e606e1e396_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

So I heaved it off and here's the scar!

49049627908_115e6d8c9d_c.jpgChanges by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

About an hour later, a shortened, re-angled strut test fitted.  Still had to build the bottom pivots.

49050132211_50952ae36c_c.jpgChanges by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

With the paint back on.

49050343287_30b646771c_c.jpgChanges by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

49049628478_7e6ef22580_c.jpgChanges by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

No progress here though.

49024782276_9f20fd816c_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

49024992077_97dd927f29_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Oh well, that's it so far.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby
spelling

Hi Guys,

More Mistel ramblings!

I rebuilt the front mountings on the RATO units, adding brass wire and green Stuff epoxy putty to strengthen the bits.

49061352828_1b4b44561a_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Then started adding Plastruct rod for the mounting frames.

49064439468_e6369101da_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Here's all four with the struts trimmed to length.

49064439848_b1e2966828_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Added four filler caps to the front fuel tank.

49065451331_91701ee240_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Items for making the cables from the braking parachute to the axle ends.

49070720598_8f3aef697d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Lead wire twisted to make the cables

49071244236_391042b0c6_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Eye ends using shaped pewter sheet as the liner

49070716633_2790ed3437_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And brass tube as the ferrules

49071446257_257014e874_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

How it goes together.

49071190791_833caab12a_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

49070668988_096d044b09_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

With the brass ferrules painted

49072244693_89f43b1d20_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now for the kick in the teeth: Someone noticed I got the cables twisted the wrong way!  So still debating whether to scrap these two and start again.  It's 7pm here in the UK, if I pull my finger out I reckon I can have them rebuilt by midnight!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby
spelling

Hi Guys,

I spent a few hours pondering whether to fix the twist in the cables and eventually came to the conclusion it had to be done.  Knowing it had taken ages to build them in the first place, I started at 7pm last night and fully expected to still be there at midnight.

Here's the cables, uppermost with the old twist, bottom is the new twist.  At the top of the photo you can see the pile of cut off eye ends and the new brass ferrules.  I stripped the eye ends and reused the pewter liners.

49077595381_4bea3478cf_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr 

And here are the new cables with the correct twist.  I didn't even use new lead wire, it is soft enough to just untwist and retwist the other way.  If I had used copper wire, my first choice, there's no way I would have got the kinks out and it would have meant cutting completely new wires.

49077595256_117488a3e2_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The brass ferrules have since been painted but I haven't taken a photo yet.  Total rebuild time was about an hour once I got my backside in gear!  Hope somebody finds this useful.  And a big thanks to John Colasante on SMCG who pointed out the error.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

7 minutes ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

And here are the new cables with the correct twist. 

Twist = lay. And I recognise that sort of nagging fanaticism, I'm rather inclined to it myself

And... Your new ones look better than the old ones, you've got a much more even lay to them

Richard

Hi Guys,

The braking parachute primed:

49084421388_310b971cb7_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And Painted:

49095452577_69313e2594_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Raw Chassis:

49085149002_9ff0b74c9d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Primed:

49084426003_ec998e1c34_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And painted:

49085255012_62b6f6ff79_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Added the bogies for a look-see, RATO units in the background.

49088362053_644b0503bf_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

RATO painted with Mission Models White Aluminium plus Chrome, then a wash of Wilder Black/Brown oils.

49094743933_52eac925b3_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Chute pack test fit:

49094744958_8df8540094_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

More coming

Regards,

Bruce Crosby