1/32 Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot *Completed*

BradG

Work continues on the other wing now.

cg1Q5gQ.jpg

Once everything was dried and sanded back, I thought I'd attach the wings before slotting on all the other parts. Fit on both is again tight, perhaps too tight and it does well to shave a little off some of the mating surfaces to get a better fit. Still ti will require some work on the lower joint. But it is a Trumpeter kit so I was expecting the fit to be "good enough". There is actually a saying for that in Chinese industry that roughly translates to "close enough", which makes sense if you've ever built Trumpeter.

XwjYS8v.jpg

Ac3ZEfW.jpg

Oh look, with a little bit of wiggling and perhaps selective words being said, the wing fits reasonably well. I haven't even looked at the weapons and pylons, there's probably more parts in those than there is in the aircraft itself.

Bjue1gE.jpg

I decided to glue the gun covers and upon looking at more pictures, it appears that the main nose wheel door is usually closed when the aircraft is on the ground. Trumpeter would have you glue it open, so I cut off the mounting tabs and closed it.

TTd6hzI.jpg

With the flaps up, you need to install the correct actuator arms and shrouds. The shouds for the flaps up don't have any real detail inside and I have seen pictures where you can see the attachment point and arm from the flap, so I cut them off the other parts. I think I may have left a little too much arm showing, but that's ok.

4OrTOuV.jpg

9 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Looks really good, Brad! :beer:

BUT, can you mount the front gear now, with the main door closed? :hmmm:

Stefan :)

I probably should have test fitted that. Eh I'll work it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a little bit of a break from this as I finished off some other models on the bench and started back at cricket. Only made 16 on the weekend, dragged a wide one back onto off stump...ugh. Anyways, sanding sanding and more sanding then a little more scribing...probably need a bit more but it's getting there.

hVU7DiO.jpg

I decided to put the main gear legs and doors on before painting. I've looked at a lot of pictures and could not come up with a definitive colour for the wheel wells or the gear legs. Some were just blue, others silver other a mixture of colours. Well, blue works for me. Fitting these is fiddly and I did try to close the two doors that are normally closed when the aircraft is on the ground, but this was going to involve a fair bit of cutting and hacking, thus I decided not to try. If you want to be correct for the Su-25, only the inner rear gear door is open when the aircraft is on the ground (usually).

c1KScH1.jpg

Ahhh ordnance. I reckon half this kit is weapons. There's 10 hard points, I've decided on large drop tanks for the inner hard points and the outer will mount a single K-60 air to air missile each. As for the others, well I'll stick as many bombs on it as I can. You get missiles and rocket pods as well. I think there''s napalm tanks too. These are the outer missile racks and launchers.

lIrjtYy.jpg

Ah Trumpeter....while looking at the ordnance load outs, I've just realised that Trumpeter don't actually give you the correct outer K-60 hard point. They give you the launch rail, but not the hard point to attach it to, despite having the holes already in the wings for them. So the parts in the above picture will not fit the kit. This kind of thing just tells me that Trumpeter are careless when producing their models. Now I have the choice of spending money to get the proper ones, modifying something in the kit to mount the K-60's or just leaving them off.

Edited by BradG