Review: HobbyBoss Consolidated B-24J Liberator

Iain

I'm embarrassed to admit just how long this one has taken - but there at last (I think!).

2170-177.jpg

It's one of those things where I keep finding more to add - but really have to call it quits at some point!

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2170

My eyes are tired now - please shout if you spot anything awry!!

Iain

As I am content in it looking enough like a B-24 to fool 99% of the people who visit, I will not do any surgery to my kit but I am keen on adding details from my spares and am on the fence about an IP (I usually just hand-paint mine but the Airscale bit does look really nice) so will not stray far from OOB. I am hoping for a good solution to the turrets to appear before I begin building but I will deal with it if I have to. Thank you, Iain, for this review and your notations in your WIP.

I am more interested in throwing on a really attractive paint scheme rather than duplicate any specific craft.

I think that's the perfect mindset - yes, built straight from the box most people will see a very nice looking B-24.

Hopefully my review makes that clear...

I was a little nervous posting it as I know passions can be high when it comes to accuracy of kits. What I've tried to do is be thankful we have the kit in the first place and illustrate areas that can be improved if the builder wants to.

I've said it before, but I'll re-iterate; I really think this is a great value kit that is a great canvas for modellers to do their own thing.

I hate the negative hyperbole that some kits can generate.

Have fun...

Iain

3 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

What I've tried to do is be thankful we have the kit in the first place and illustrate areas that can be improved if the builder wants to.

A logical, level-headed, and fair approach... Three characteristics not often found on the internet.  Well done, Iain.  

Thank you for the review

Perhaps state at the outset what specification / bloc the kit represents (or is closest to?)?

Thinking especially of the lower nose shape and glass.

Those who don’t care about such things won’t mind, but for those that do it may help going up blind alleys with incorrect markings etc

thanks again

I reckon it's closest to a B-24J-185-CO - as per the main colour scheme.

Others may differ regarding applicable block - B-24 variations are a hornets nest - and I'd rather not get stung!  ;)

I've updated the review - and also spotted I'd repeated option 'I 'of the colour scheme options twice - and left out option 'II' completely - now fixed!

Iain

Excellent review Iain, you certainly get a lot of plastic for your money! Recieved my copy a couple of weeks ago and been have a look at the internals deciding what to do with it, interestingly the turret transparencies dont have the frosted look as reported unless they have changed this in later copies?

Regards. Andy

5 minutes ago, Rowen said:

Hi Iain!

Nice review! I picked one of these up, too! Going to start it soon.

Question: You mentioned the much needed nose weight.... but how much weight is needed to make it sit properly? :)

Thanks!

-Ro

Hi Rowen,

At the moment I can only go on what the instructions state - 300g ahead of the instrument panel/cockpit (10.56 ounces) - but I'd be inclined to add a little fudge-factor if possible.

And I'm modding the wings/cowlings on mine - so that might make a difference.

Enjoy your build!

Iain