Inside Outside canopy masks

Palm-tree

I have recently purchased a couple of precut vinyl mask sets for the inside and outside of the canopies for the Tamiya Spitfire IX and the Revell FW190 in 1/32.

They are produced by a certain manufacturer of very good scale seat belts without naming them.

The masks when applied are way off and the incorrect size leaving gaps of 1.5 mm along certain edges. They would not result in an accurate finish if used.

The seatbelts which are paired with the canopy masks are up to the high standard I have come to expect however.

Has anyone else had any fit issues with these or do I just have a bad batch?

comments.....

This appears to be a common issue with many brands of canopy masks; some fit well, others...not so much. Often you'll find that most of the elements fit as expected, with just one or two that appear to be a little off. I know a lot of people swear by commercial canopy masks, but I find them to be of dubious value at times, and there's no substitute for getting good at doing it yourself!

Kev

I've found the same thing.

Normally the difficult areas such as corners etc fit ok but the overall length/width is out.

I find it easlier to cut them on straight edges so you can use the curves and corners and then just infill the straight edges with normal masking tape.

I'm just starting to use some Montex masks on my Revell Bf109 build. Whilst i'll be able to get away with using the number and national markings, i cannot use the canopy masks as they are designed for the Hasegawa kit. Tried fitting the canopy masks but they are well off. Silly little thing i forgot but i'll know for next time. Shame really as Montex already do a separate canopy mask set for the Revell kit, but don't offer the specific aircraft set to go with them.

Edited by AlanG

Can anyone speak to the shelf life of Eduard masks? Do they shrink or dry out? If so could age have affected the OPs efforts? It looks as if he’s using fresh new product (from another manufacturer) so I suspect no. I have numerous Eduard mask sets “in the stash” and have been curious.

jimbo

Experience of Eduard canopy masks has been wholly positive in my experience.

I purchased the ( different manufacturer’s) seatbelt and canopy inside/outside masks for convenience and also because the reputation of the manufacturer for seatbelts, led me to erroneously believe their quality products and reputation would extend to the canopy sets too.

Indeed their own marketing states “High quality detail set” and “Tested on Humans” on the packaging.

Well they may well have tested their products on humans, but they didn’t test them in the kits they are designed to be used with.

”Jimbo”- I have used the Eduard masks sometimes after a period of several years before getting round to using them and have noticed no shrinkage or drying out, even whilst living in a very dry environment.

Is there a particular reason not to name the manufacturer?  I can think of a couple who make decent (in my opinion) seatbelts but surely pointing out when a particular identified manufacturer’s product doesn’t do what it should is reasonable when talking to an audience of potential buyers.  The audience even includes some manufacturers so they might read it and take action to improve the set.

I think somebody has thought there is a (non-exsistant) gap in the market and money can be made. As above they are hit and miss and the cost of these masks could buy you a quality roll of tape. We buy AM bits to add details and paint them up exceptionally well and some do additional scratch building. With those skills put tape around a canopy frame and paint it.

Steve.

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Can't answer unless we know who you're talking about.  :shrug:

I think some members here might be able to answer Mike.

Is there more than one manufacturer which produces custom sets of seatbelts and canopy masks for specific aircraft?