Pup7309

Do your loved ones understand? (When it comes to the hobby that is..!.)

1 hour ago, nichenson said:

You know after reading some comments on this thread it goes further to prove my old saying of that everyone should get divorced at least once, lol.  Seems people are so much happier with a second marriage or being singled than they were before or during the first marriage.  Coincidentally, my wife and I are on our second marriage each. 

Oh so true, my second team effort has just recently celebrated it's 42nd anniversary and I  couldn't have made a better decision.

Lothar

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 2:50 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Got rid of the spousal unit years ago, and my dogs couldn’t care less about the size of my stash :m0152:

Me too, although I reckon I might have had it worse than any of you as it isn't a hobby it's my job, so imagine telling your wife that you are always going to miss that last train from London or you are going to be a little bit noisy working  'all night' because some knobhead architect couldn't get his act together yet again!

Edited by GrahamF
Typo

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

Me too, although I reckon I might have had it worse than any of you as it isn't a hobby it's my job, so imagine telling your wife that you are always going to miss that last train from London or you are going to be a little bit noisy working  'all night' because some knobhead architect couldn't get his act together yet again!

Bizarrely, the very reason I ended up getting married was because my future wife had missed a train to London.  If she hadn’t missed the train, we’d never have met.  :)

Edited by Jennings Heilig

4 hours ago, petrov27 said:

My Family is pretty OK with the hobby as long as walks are frequent and the supper bowl filled a few times a day :)

XIxtlKsh.jpg

:lol:Dog likes walks, human master likes...

My wife does not bother me about purchasing kits.  Fortunately, the house has plenty of storage space so that is not an issue.   In fact, she has sever tubs full of her hobby thing, books!

However, I was getting a Spitfire ready for the IPMS Nats in Chattanooga recently.  For several weeks I was at the workbench more than usual.  She was a bit irritated that I was not with the family.   So I guess I agree a little...except our teenagers really don't want to be with us that much right now anyway.  

On 8/25/2019 at 4:22 AM, Pup7309 said:

I just saw a username something like ‘mywifehatesmodels’ which made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of a thread I was reading last Christmas about guys sweating on the postie arriving, how to slip a(nother) 1/32 4-engine bomber box past the Mrs, and other hilarious ‘tales from the stash’. 

I was thinking should I start that conversation...about how much leeway we’re allowed with the hobby...?

Gentlemen you the floor is yours...!

Well, my wife believes that every modeller she ever met through my hobby is retarded in a way or another. Sadly with time passing, i start to think she is right

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Vincent said:

Well, my wife believes that every modeller she ever met through my hobby is retarded in a way or another. Sadly with time passing, i start to think she is right

Bit harsh! :huh: Reminds of a story: An ex who insisted on coming to a club meet. To allay her suspicions I reluctantly agreed, knowing it would not be her cup of tea. As she gazed around the room full of gents with their kits (made and unmade) her fears of cheating quickly disappeared. However, she left feeling aggrieved that I would rather spend time with these ‘losers’ than her. I realised it was one of those no win arguments , so I pleaded the 5th. I ended up having a good afternoon while she went shopping. 

Edited by Pup7309

Posted (edited)

My wife doesn't say jack about it, other than if she can see what I've finished lately. All of my kits that weren't bought for me were paid for with money I got from selling collectibles I no longer wanted, so really I've spent nothing. I just swapped what my collection consists of. Thus, money is not an issue. I have nearly the entire finished basement to myself, as well as the garage (which my wife and daughters treat as an alien world unopen to visitation). I can display my stuff all over the TV room next to my reading room as well as in the halls. 

Even if it was an issue, my wife has a closet full of hats, purses, shoes, and tons of jewelry-making nonsense from her own hobbies. That she didn't pay for by selling her unwanted crap.

Edited by CATCplSlade

I am currently single, but my previous partners have always accepted it as part of my nerdy pursuits. They have generally said they liked the passion I pursued my projects with. I’ve had a lot of joint hobbies with ex’s though.

My mum loves seeing my models though, she loves to see the details.

I've actually worked with a lot of female professional model makers and they are the best skill wise I've ever come across but unlike men they all seem to have been very well rounded people and not nurdy in the slightest.

Graham

45 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I've actually worked with a lot of female professional model makers and they are the best skill wise I've ever come across but unlike men they all seem to have been very well rounded people and not nurdy in the slightest.

Graham

Nice to know there are women building professionally :D I’d like to think I’m well rounded. I have a series of things I’m passionate about. I love to learn and experience new things. I think a lot of my ex’s just saw what I liked as nerdy

Don't think 'support' is the right term. More like 'tolerate'. And that is stretched when she finds kits stashed all over the place.