Pup7309

Do your loved ones understand? (When it comes to the hobby that is..!.)

My wife does not understand my passion for the hobby, but she has no particular problem with me doing it.

One thing she definitely struggles with is the need for a 'stash'. i.e. "Why have you bought another one when you already have so many?"

It's not the money element either.. (and indeed I could easily have a counter-argument by citing the numbers of shoes and handbags she buys!) 

She just doesn't understand that you'd buy something if you weren't going to build it straight away. "Not another model?"

So, I definitely identify with the cartoon of the 'model detector'!

She does however actively enjoy going to air displays with me - which is good.

my second wife (when i was married the first time i just was a horny idiot) is moderately supportive of my hobbies and even bought me some kits years ago.

she sometimes is a little annoyed when i spend a lot of time in the garage (my other hobby), but never says a word when i drag home another box or wreck to restore.

she knits a lot in her free time and is really good at it, so she knows how it is to have a passion.

i cant relate to the money thing. we both have our incomes and share the living/kids cost. what i do with the rest of my money, like spend it on models/cars or my house on the island is none of her buisness. like its not of my buisness what i continiually trip over/bang my head against in the house/garden (one of her hobbies).....

I have it pretty good. 

Though my wife may think the size of my (40-50 kit) stash is ridiculous, I regularly point out to her that it is much smaller than many. 

For Christmas and birthdays I either get gift vouchers to the LHS or I am to proffer a list of desired kits.  Last year she got me 5 kits for Christmas.

I often jokingly ask her if she wants me to bring her a Messerschmitt or a panzer from my club  meet, or the LHS when I go.

We have our own accounts and financial duties.

I know guys whose wives see them at the bench and ask if there isn't something else they should be doing.  Thank god that isn't my situation.  I'd be a single as Jennings.

My dear wife came in the den the other evening and said "I wish you would look at me that way".

was about to responded with,and quickly put the brakes on it.."If you had the lines and curves of a Spitfire I would".  will file that as a close call.

Otherwise she is very supportive...in everything.

Pleased to report I have a hugely supportive family for all of my hobbies (models, classic Lotus, classic motorcycles, flying and photography).

My wife, Anne, knew what she was letting herself in for when we met 21 years ago - and has been nothing but supportive - even though she has to cope with hobby detritus around the house a lot of the time.

My son - well, he seems to have adopted the 'if you can't stop dad, then join him' and has become a very committed enthusiast of 1:35 AFVs and military history...

They bought me the Wingnut Felixstowe for Christmas when it came out - need I say any more?

Iain

My wife was a 2nd Lt in the CAP and a major in the USAF so she shares an interest in planes.  Besides she knows there are worse hobbies I could be having.  In the hobbyroom I just got finished building she has one full wall and the corner that gets the view out the window to the lake.  I get two long walls and a closet, lol.  As long as we don't leave our stuff all over the place, we do pretty good not getting on each other's nerves with our hobbies. 

I'm a lucky soul to have my wife. She knows it's my hobby. Encourages me to build and likes what I make generally.  She calls Model Contests "Geek Fests", but she enjoys seeing the work of others. She is more partial to Sci-Fi stuff. 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:53 AM, BradG said:

I'm single, so  I do whatever I want when I want. No plans on changing that, freedom is good.

:lol:

Same here.

I fired the lady (or maybe she fired me...:huh: anyway....) when I understood that the only hobby she would accept was taking care of HER.

You know after reading some comments on this thread it goes further to prove my old saying of that everyone should get divorced at least once, lol.  Seems people are so much happier with a second marriage or being singled than they were before or during the first marriage.  Coincidentally, my wife and I are on our second marriage each. 

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Is this you “out on the streets” Lothar!? :huh:

Why do you ask, have you indeed seen me B) ? If so, don't tell someone!!!

Lothar