Pup7309

Do your loved ones understand? (When it comes to the hobby that is..!.)

Posted (edited)

I just saw a username something like ‘mywifehatesmodels’ which made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of a thread I was reading last Christmas about guys sweating on the postie arriving, how to slip a(nother) 1/32 4-engine bomber box past the Mrs, and other hilarious ‘tales from the stash’. 

I was thinking should I start that conversation...about how much leeway we’re allowed with the hobby...?

Gentlemen you the floor is yours...!

Edited by Pup7309

My wife will often banish me to my workbench so I don't think I have too much of a concern. 

The only time she became upset was when I had 5 or 6 kits arrive in two days. The first day it was a sizable box and she was annoyed that I had bought them thinking it was excessive. The next day a larger box showed up with more kits and all she could do was laugh. 

Nowadays, our two sons have shown an interest in models so it's become a family activity. I may even need to get a bigger bench to accomodate them.

Carl

My Mrs. moved stuff so I would have room to put a model I just bought in the back seat...A 1/32 Lancaster!

all she said was where are you going to put that when it's built? I replied it'll take up less room in the stash with the 2 B-17's

My SO has no problem with my modeling, but no, she doesn't really get it.

She thinks it's kind of a waste of time, and she understands how much time/energy/focus I put into building models.   She thinks, basically, that my time could be better spent doing other things, like some sort of hobby that makes us money! 

She has been trying to get me to start making jewelry, largely because she loves jewelry, and she thinks I can make some real money at it.

LOL.

7 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

She has been trying to get me to start making jewelry, largely because she loves jewelry, and she thinks I can make some real money at it.

I'm single, so  I do whatever I want when I want. No plans on changing that, freedom is good. On the jewelry thing, my mum makes jewelry and is a very good with knitting and crochet. She saw me making a little money out of commissions and wondered if she could sell her handy work, which dad and I encouraged her to do. She now goes to markets and shows to sell stuff, made 1000 bucks at one show!!

51 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

My SO has no problem with my modeling, but no, she doesn't really get it.

She thinks it's kind of a waste of time, and she understands how much time/energy/focus I put into building models.   She thinks, basically, that my time could be better spent doing other things, like some sort of hobby that makes us money! 

LOL.

Think you nailed it there bro! Sometimes the same thought passes through my brain for a few seconds. But what can you do?  Such an enjoyable way to spend time...

1 hour ago, Padubon said:

My wife hates it. She thinks of the hobby as a needy mistress that takes too much time away from her husband.

That's what my first (ex)wife thought of all of my various interests. She wasn't like that at all until we exchanged "I dos". 

Wife V2.0 knew what she was getting into, and has been generally supportive of my hobbies for the last 19 years. If not, her status would have become ex-wife V2.0. ;) 

D

My wife doesn't care one bit about what I buy model wise and she understands fully on why I do the hobby. Since I was never was able to become a pilot she knows it's the next best thing for me being a huge aviation nut. Plus it's cheaper than drag racing and going to the bars lol. 

Posted (edited)

My wife's hobby is way more expensive. So It is quite easy to get into agreement about a kit or two.

But she likes my models and sometimes asks me to build a kit of her like :)

Edited by Helmsman