Ki-43-I Conversions

Foxtrot 14

It is a fact that IJAAF aircraft are my favorite! A decade ago, there was the UMI backdate conversion from the usual Ki-43-II to -I kits, but a decade ago I wasn't a modeler :wacko:. Since the loss of Dave, there certainly aren't any new UMI kits of his. Are there any new conversion kits being made or planned that I'm unaware of? The last discussion seemed to indicate even the possibility of using an existing one of Dave's kits to "reverse engineer" a new mold. What's the word?

I'm essentially reviving the conversation since it hasn't gotten any major attention for a couple years.

Well....I started working on one. Got a ways to go and some other projects, and worse - life - got in the way. I was actually doing the work sitting in a hotel room while my wife went through radiation treatments. I was also afraid the Ki-43 might be one of those models that might see some love again. Anyway, it got put on the back burner once her treatments were over. Send me all your free time so I can get it going again!

Wow, Foxtrot. We are on the same wavelength, two threads in a row!:thumbsup:

I have another  Hasegawa Ki-43-II  on the bench right now. However, when I started building it, I found myself daydreaming about early Hayabusas in this scale. I also think Ray might be right. It's hard to believe that a new tool Oscar (of any variant, but hopefully the -I, at least) won't see the light of day, soon. In fact, while we're asking about the 43 and our VVS wants, it seems that many IJA/IJN subjects are still lacking, as well. I find it hard to believe that the market in Japan, at a minimum, for more WW2 Japanese subjects, won't drive the decisions in that direction. Actually kind of surprised it hasn't, already. I can see Hasegawa doing a new tool, for sure. And why not Tamiya? Seems like a no-brainer from those companies and I wouldn't put it past Zoukei Mura, as well. We can hope, at least.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I'd think they would release an N1K1 sooner than a new Oscar. As optimistic as people seem a new one will be coming, I'm convinced Hasegawa feels like people will buy buy buy the old Ki-43 anyway as though nobody actually cares about the Hayabusa.

Well, Hasegawa recently did a new tool Zero Type 52 (and lovely it is) so there's some hope of a new tool Nakajima Hayabusa. 

I have two of the oldies in the stash, including the Manchoukuo edition. Both could use replacement tailwheels, preferably in a hard metal.

Would like Hasegawa to do later versions of the Ki-61 too — the bloke at Alleycat is difficult to deal with, so I'm not going back in a hurry. Pity, as there's some nice stuff when he isn't having the boiler fixed/misplaced items you've paid for and found things you don't want ("good news for me, but not good news for you" he said, having taken my money three months previously). What a pity, as the Ki-61/100 sets look very tempting.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

the Ki-61/100 sets look very tempting.

About a year ago I bought a Ki-100 "razorback" set. The excitement died as soon as I saw how misshapen the fuselage was. I know my anecdote shouldn't represent all Alley Cat models, but it immediately killed my desire to get the Ki-61-II.

10 hours ago, Foxtrot 14 said:

About a year ago I bought a Ki-100 "razorback" set. The excitement died as soon as I saw how misshapen the fuselage was. I know my anecdote shouldn't represent all Alley Cat models, but it immediately killed my desire to get the Ki-61-II.

Yes, thanks. The stuff looks great on the Alleycat website but the owner is a ditherer taking forever to deal with orders and I've heard some people have lost money. I did get a part refund for non-delivery after the classic "not good news for you..." remark and things not looking hopeful — that was three months after he took the money. Thank goodness for PayPal. 

We really need the Japanese manufacturers to take their indigenous hardware more seriously. Hasegawa was having such a lovely run on props a few years ago — Ki-61, -84, -44, Zero etc — and it would be great if they continued. Zoukei-mura ditto. I understand that 1/48 F-4s sell like hotcakes but why all the Moxi stuff? The Ki-45 is a marvel and I must buy one for Crimbo.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Thank goodness for PayPal. 

Tony 

Unfortunately I have experience, but after I complained about paypal, I got what I paid for. But it took half a year

conversion to the early versions of Oscar would be greatly appreciated

Edited by corsairlada

1 hour ago, corsairlada said:

Unfortunately I have experience, but after I complained about paypal, I got what I paid for. But it took half a year.

Conversion to the early versions of Oscar would be greatly appreciated

A six month delay and then needing to complain via PayPal is, frankly, teetering on fraudulent behaviour by Alleycat. Sorry mods, but I feel Alleycat needs to be listed as potentially rogue.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm interested in later versions of most of the IJN/IJA props. Does Doyusha still make a Ki-43 and in what sub-mark? There's engine parts in the Eduard etch set which might help.

Tony

Doyusha never made a Ki-43 but they released a Ki-84.

Both me and a friend of mine also had recent order problems with Alleycat but it looks like the guy had serious family troubles. If I was the devil's advocate I would say 'wait and see' as according to his messages he is now back on track. 

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Does Doyusha still make a Ki-43 and in what sub-mark? There's engine parts in the Eduard etch set which might help.

Tony

Doyuysha never did a Ki-43, only Hasegawa. The Eduard PE set is helpful for the Hasegawa but the etch for the radiator is only for the later version.

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Doyusha never made a Ki-43 but they released a Ki-84.

Both me and a friend of mine also had recent order problems with Alleycat but it looks like the guy had serious family troubles. If I was the devil's advocate I would say 'wait and see' as according to his messages he is now back on track. 

Sorry, yes, Doyusha's Ki-43 is in 1/28 scale (if you can find it).

Alleycat's biggest problem was the bizarre litany of excuses, coupled with a rude tone. I hope you got your orders fulfilled Thierry.

I would seriously advise anyone to email Alec Smith first asking for an assurance of stock in hand (not, "well, I think I know which box it might be in but whether I can access it depends on how long the man coming on Thursday takes to fix the boiler", or words to that effect, followed by another two weeks of silence till you make the effort to contact Mssr Smith).

CAUTION ADVISED.

It took me three months and threats of legal action to get part of my order fulfilled and the balance refunded.

Happy modelling Tony 

You're right Tony. I forgot the 1/28 kit. I thought you were only thinking 1/32.

Thanks for the warning regarding the current Alleycat. 

I got my order but in a rather strange way. A friend of mine ordered three sets. Actually, he didn't mention it but it was a 109G10 set for him, one for me (a Ki-100 set) and a US recco Spitfire for a friend. Then, I realized that I should have also ordered the Ki-61-II set as I got two Hasegawa Tony for a little bit more than the price of a single box. 

My order arrived first and rather quickly. However, rather than getting the Ki-61-II,I got the Ki-100! I notified Alleycat and then asked my friend to change HIS order to solve the problem in the easiest way. This was not easy and even asked for a quite aggressive final reminder. The three sets finally arrived but the third guy got also his share of problems as the Spitty set was incomplete! As far as I know, we are still waiting for the parts. Wait and see... 

I'm incomplete Ki-61 II KAI-missing the entire canopy and it took long enough to get it. Otherwise, I can confirm Alck's health problems in the family with a relative (Alzheimer). Its biggest weakness is communication via Outlook. I also bought decals for the KI-61 Tei, I do not have them today

Sorry for the off topic

Edited by corsairlada