No Love for the VVS?

Foxtrot 14

How come, as far as Soviet aircraft go, there seems to be little enthusiasm on the part of injection styrene kit companies to produce early to mid-war aircraft, i.e. the Yak-1, LaGG-3 and La-5? While there are plenty of Polikarpovs and Trumpeter's MiG-3 on one end of the spectrum as well as the Yak-3 from Special Hobby for the other, I find it strange that the only option to build the "Wooden Savior of Stalingrad" is the mythically uncommon Craft Works resin kit. I laud the more recent Il-2s, but surely there is a market for 1/32 aircraft around 1941-42!

I think the problem is not many know the VVS stuff, and manufacturers are afraid they won't sell. Hard to believe no one has done a Yak-9 in IM considering how it was everywhere mid war. Thank God Silver Wings has helped fill the void with their very nice resin one. But no Yak-1 or Yak-7, or La-5, La-5FN, or how about a Pe-2?

BTW, I have one of those 'mythical' Craftworks La-5's on the shelf of doom, I need to get back to it! So many models, so little time!

2 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

BTW, I have one of those 'mythical' Craftworks La-5's on the shelf of doom, I need to get back to it! So many models, so little time!

I pray to Stalin every day that I might be fortunate enough to find one on my own! Lucky!

And I'm probably the weirdo for liking the LaGG so much, but it just looks so Soviet.

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot 14 said:

I pray to Stalin every day that I might be fortunate enough to find one on my own! Lucky!

And I'm probably the weirdo for liking the LaGG so much, but it just looks so Soviet.

Pray to Stalin? Hmmm....

Anyway, the only luck was to live not too far from the maker! I bought direct from Craftworks at a local show. I also have the Craftworks P-36, P-40B/C, Bf109K-4, and Claude. Saw the beginnings of the never finished Val, too. You want rare: I have a Pend d' Oreille 1/35th Bf109G-6.

2 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Saw the beginnings of the never finished Val, too. You want rare: I have a Pend d' Oreille 1/35th Bf109G-6.

A shame they never finished the Val.

I guess you learn something new everyday! Never even had heard of that Messerschmitt kit.

I'm with you on this one! Hoping that ICM keeps going in the direction they have been. Wouldn't mind seeing Zvezda get into 1/32, either, having built one of their 1/48 Bf 109F kits. I think they could do the VVS stuff justice in 1/32 scale, as well, should they take the leap into that scale.

John

Very good point.  You could also say exactly the same thing about Italian WW2 planes.  There are  string of well known Macchis, Fiats and Reggianes, to say nothing of a decent Savoia-Marchetti SM79, which no one has tackled in 1/32 injection mold and you have to wonder why not.

Cheers,

Michael

Feel the same about the dearth of 1960s-1980s Soviet PVO jets.

I came to the conclusion that we don't see these because of the popularity of card aircraft models in eastern Europe.

Tony 

I think Russian Great Patriotic War aircraft of most types, in all scales, are way under-represented in the world of scale modeling.

It's a shame, as I would enjoy building a number of Russian fighters in particular.

140-02cr.jpg

Edited by ringleheim