Mass request.

Padubon

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

How many 1/48 RA-5C kits have you ever seen at shows? I can think of two in the almost 20 years that kit has been out.

Kits not being at shows doesn't mean anything......a quick Google search of 1/48 RA-5C pulls up dozens of them built. The PBY was the slowest seller? Why then did they release it as a -5, a -5A, in the Pro-Modeler line and in at least six different box tops? That's a lot of releases for a slow seller!

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Good idea. But I think sadly the only surefire way to sway a model company to do a model is to pony up $250k+/- to cover the R&D and production.

This /\ right here.

While not even in the same monetary ball park, I've been asked by a half dozen people to print 1/18 scale decals for the Hobbyboss AV-8B. When I respond with "sure, just front the $1000 - $1500 for the print run and another $400 for placement guides and I'll get right on it", the silent response (or lack thereof) is deafening. 

Everyone's ideas are great because it's not your money that's at risk. 

I reckon we all have our favourites, and sometimes they are well out on left field, or in the next paddock even. But if I was wanting to start another model company doing 1/32, I would be looking important types not covered to date, and with many users and colour schemes. Also small enough to ensure modellers want more , or can afford, than one of each (B-26 as example) Top of the to-do list would be a Griffon Spitfire or two (14, 18, 24) Seafire III, 15, 47, Vampire fighter, and later a trainer, perhaps even a Venom. Slightly bigger and the Beaufighter is still missing. All a license to print money.

1 hour ago, wunwinglow said:

Learn CAD. Buy 3d printer. Buy lots of HIPS filament..... 

Even doing it the old-fashioned way!  The killer would be research.  Getting those cockpits, interiors (such as you want) and wheel wells right.  That's money right there.  Who's got good resources on the Foolhaven Fk-it 58?  I'm guessing not many...  or any.  Some dreams just have to remain dreams.

You'd definitely have an issue with a guy like me if you want anything outside of WWII subjects kitted, as I have no interests outside of that time frame. As has been said, too many people with their own idea of what takes priority.

And little of it matching the priorities of the manufacturers.

A-37?  How about a Jet Provost/Strikemaster?  I know that's not going to happen.

I'd be all over a Tamiya P-47, though, particularly a razorback, plenty of 8th, 9th and SEAC options for those of us with a British bias.

Nice idea with the poll, but sadly, you'll probably get almost as many different answers as participants.  But isn't that one of the strengths of this forum, the sheer diversity of opinion?

On 8/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Good idea that's been used for many years.  For many of those years, the two top 1/48 scale most requested kits included the PBY and the RA-5C.  Ed Sexton of Monogram told me that once they succumbed to the pressure and did the PBY, it turned out to be one of the slowest selling kits they'd ever done, and that that was their last time listening to "most wanted" list results.  How many 1/48 RA-5C kits have you ever seen at shows? I can think of two in the almost 20 years that kit has been out.

I don’t even know what a RA-5C is...