1/24 Aftermarket R-2800's?

Vidar_710

The engine has more issues than a few wires n plugs will fix. Significant gaps plague very visible areas while watching a detailed build on YouTube. The guy is developing fixes as he goes. He made molds and castings and sells them on evilbay. Youtube: Nigel's modeling bench.

I would love a 1/24 engine in the quality of Aires or Quickboost. 

Tracy

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

The engine has more issues than a few wires n plugs will fix. Significant gaps plague very visible areas while watching a detailed build on YouTube. The guy is developing fixes as he goes. He made molds and castings and sells them on evilbay. Youtube: Nigel's modeling bench.

I would love a 1/24 engine in the quality of Aires or Quickboost. 

Have you actually built the kit yet?

A few people continue to say that the new AF 1/24th Hellcat engine has all sorts of issues..................

Yet the three currently being built on LSP, dont seem to have any such problems.  All I've seen those 3 chaps talk about is how close the tolerances are, and how if you dont get things aligned just perfectly things do NOT fit. 

I cant fathom for the life of me, that that 3 people all simultaneously building the kit had 0 issues with the engine fit, and it was all down to luck. I dont really buy that.  NONE of those guys had to re-design anything, re-do anything nor did they require a single new assembly to be made nor purchased. 

No offence to Nigel and whomever else is screaming about poor engine fit,  but now that I've seen 3 consecutive builds on LSP go without  any such fit problems, I can  now only attribute this to being an issue with the modeler themselves and possibly not getting things 100% perfectly aligned, and NOT the design of the kit or the parts themselves.

This is straight OOB just like the other two are, with absolutely nothing but parts that AirFix gives you, and I see 0 gaps of any kind let alone "significant" ones. Per Guy, the OP/builder:

"I painted all the components separately, then pieced it all together - this ends up being a serious chunk of plastic! The fit is super tight, not in a bad way, in fact in all just clicks together. I hardly used any glue at all. It is, however, a complex structure and some thought and dry runs don’t go amiss."

B717720-A-A9-D8-41-E7-BFC0-B34-E1-DAC49-

64706-DA5-1-B37-448-C-AA01-11360346-F28-

BA851-FDB-02-DB-4-F80-BB04-07767-DABE7-B

With this being 100% OOB, and the other two builds on LSP following suit with 0 additional parts needed what-so-ever,  unfortunately this appears to come down to an issue with the assembler not the assembly.  

10 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

I had no issues building it either, thought it was a great kit ... 

So #4 with no engine fit issues...................

So that confirms it all for me. As they say at work:

- A one time occurrence is an anomaly..............

- Two times could be a coincidence.............

- Three times and you have yourself a pattern..........

- Four times and you have a  definitive answer. 

Id say Nigel and a few others should really re-think how they assembled things. No need to buy/remake/change or otherwise replace any extra engine parts what so ever IMHO, unless you just want to dress things up a bit and add some extra detail. 

If four different modelers can build the kit with no re-design, and no extra parts needed, Id say near anyone can do it. 

Hey all

I belive that the early releases are the ones with issues, my first kit the fuselage was warped and the crankcase was out of round.

I did have issues with the crankcase parts, they were out of round, which made the parts that fit on it to tight. All that was needed was some sanding. The rest of the engine goes together fairly easily. 

I belive that the Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat P&W R-2800-10W is one of the best representations that you can get right know, even better then Tamiyas Corsair engine. Does the engine have problems sure,  but nothing that good old fashioned modeling can't take care of. I have two of these kits. I'm doing one as an F6F-3 and the other will be a F6F-5 in GSB or in FAA colors. I haven't tried fitting the second kits engine together, I'll try it and let you know if it has problems to.

Nigel never said he didn't like the kit, actually he raves about it being great. The problem he had was the same as me the crankcase is out of round so he made a resin version that includes the intake ports (so you don't have to fill the gaps. This does mean you need to assemble  the engine differently, actually his way is better. He also makes the three internal fuel tanks and replacement rocker covers with pipes. He made these parts so people that don't have the scratch building skills don't have to make them, he's not charging an arm and a leg for them, actually they are fairly reasonably priced. If you don't have problems with your kit thats good but there are people that do so for them maybe his parts are the answer, maybe not. But either way its nice to know there is help if you need it. By the way Nige's Hellcat is going to be an amazing build I just hope I can come some what close.

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

11 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey all

I belive that the early releases are the ones with issues, my first kit the fuselage was warped and the crankcase was out of round.

That makes sense if there are early releases with issues that they changed on later releases that dont have the issue. It appears that if true, they caught their boo-boo, and fixed it. 

Out of round crankcase or warped fusege is NOTHING AT ALL to do with the tooling, it will be the temp that the plastic was removed from the mold , the issue will only be with the plastic and therefor would be simply solvable with some hear at best.......

believe me Airfix didnt tool a bent fuselage or eliptical cylinder so these excuses are unrealistic at best, it just needs a bit of modelmaking 

Regardless, something changed on Airfixes side then, or there was something seriously off with some kits and not others.

I say that as most of the people who had any issues with assembly seemed to have the same one with the engine. I havnt seen any reports of other fit issues repeating.

8 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Regardless, something changed on Airfixes side then, or there was something seriously off with some kits and not others.

I say that as most of the people who had any issues with assembly seemed to have the same one with the engine. I havnt seen any reports of other fit issues repeating.

I have to be honest here and say i totally disagree with you, i recon the kits are the same and its the assemblers that are at issue , i see it quite a lot here and on BM, 50 people build a perfectly good model from a standard kit but number 51 seems to thing theirs is a different tool or similar silliness

the amount of people i see moaning about ‘warped’ parts that wouldnt need so much as breathing on to straighten them frightens me....