1/24 Aftermarket R-2800's?

Vidar_710

57 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

I have to be honest here and say i totally disagree with you, i recon the kits are the same and its the assemblers that are at issue , i see it quite a lot here and on BM, 50 people build a perfectly good model from a standard kit but number 51 seems to thing theirs is a different tool or similar silliness

the amount of people i see moaning about ‘warped’ parts that wouldnt need so much as breathing on to straighten them frightens me....

It is definitely not the assemblers. As I said the crankcase on mine was not round. You can get the parts on but only if you force it. Does this happen on every kit, of course not. Some are warped and some are not. Is it fixable of course it is. Does it make the kit bad definitely not. To just arbitrarily say its the builder not the kit is a cop out. Also my fuselage on my first kit was warped badly, to the point I will need to use zip ties to pull it back into shape when I glue it together. My second fuselage fits perfectly. My thoughts are it probably has a lot to do with the type of plastic Airfix uses its pretty soft and flexible.

Ron G 

1 hour ago, Markjames1968 said:

I have to be honest here and say i totally disagree with you, i recon the kits are the same and its the assemblers that are at issue 

Of course that is possible for sure, as I dont have the kit myself. I have to say though the likelyhood of differences between individual copies of the

the same kit to the point of needing to buy aftermarket parts is quite low.

Scratch-build instead of buying expensive after-market parts. Modelling to the 'n' the degree. You might be surprised, at the results when you apply brainpower and skills to achieve the required result. Of course, each to their own, but personally, I try and make the bits before I even look to see if there are after-market parts, and even then, I don't use them.

Edited by binklebaum

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Id say Nigel and a few others should really re-think how they assembled things. No need to buy/remake/change or otherwise replace any extra engine parts what so ever IMHO, unless you just want to dress things up a bit and add some extra detail. 

If four different modelers can build the kit with no re-design, and no extra parts needed, Id say near anyone can do it. 

As RonGUSA says even with his, it just took some sanding of the crankcase to make things fit.

I'm sure Nigel is a very good modeller but I watched his video regarding the engine issues and found his approach a little bit strange.

From what I recall he glued the crankcase halves and then measured the cylinder rings with a caliper whilst they were still on the sprue and decided they wouldn't fit.

To then use a lathe to slim down the crankcase seems a bit OTT to me. 

I'm sure the approach for most of us would have been to take everything off the sprues, clean up and then test fit.

Online modellers blogs can be really helpful but sometimes they can also cause worry and confusion and in this case start the perception that the fit is fundementally flawed when going by the experience of people who have built it on here it isn't.

If members were constantly finding issues with the crankcase fit then fine but in this case I think the problem was either with his kit or his methodology.