What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

Menelaos

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

So with a 230' wingspan on the 1:1 B-36, that 1/24th scale B-36 would have a span of about  9.58'.

Try telling the wife your going to display that:lol:

No Problem: "Honey, I just found a do-it-yourself T-shaped conference table. And it's only $1499.!"

• 1 year later...

I see there being really two questions

1. When - the Mosquito was announced in 2008, the Typhoon 2013 and the Hellcat 2018. They made public announcements about the sales of the latter two that they have not done for other kits and I understand that margin is higher on the more expensive kits so I would not be surprised if the next one is announced before 2023. Hornby’s results are up due to the pandemic - they are back in profit.

2. Subject. The Hellcat was a bit of a marker. Applicability beyond the UK, no good/recent large scale kit, several markings schemes and not afraid to stray beyond the usual suspects. If I were a betting man my money would be on:

Sea Fury

Sabre

Spit Mk 1

P-51B

6 hours ago, scimitarf1 said:

I see there being really two questions

1. When - the Mosquito was announced in 2008, the Typhoon 2013 and the Hellcat 2018. They made public announcements about the sales of the latter two that they have not done for other kits and I understand that margin is higher on the more expensive kits so I would not be surprised if the next one is announced before 2023. Hornby’s results are up due to the pandemic - they are back in profit.

2. Subject. The Hellcat was a bit of a marker. Applicability beyond the UK, no good/recent large scale kit, several markings schemes and not afraid to stray beyond the usual suspects. If I were a betting man my money would be on:

Sea Fury

Sabre

Spit Mk 1

P-51B

Never thought about the Sabre but that would not be too large a model and would have a widespread audience for both RAF, US and European etc

My suggestion (again) is for a Spitfire IX. Options for c and e wings would be good, even better as it should include wheelwells this time. We could combine/covert it with the current Mk.I/V to make proper Mk.I/V's or any other early to mid Merlin craft, some PR versions, early Seafires etc. Then re-release it as a low back Mk. XVI. Pretty as a Wagtail. Loads of profit!

Then do a Havard or maybe a Hunter. not that I'm totally desperate for either, just that their export sales might be translated into more kit sales. I don't think I could ever be tempted to do a Gladiator. Yawn. Maybe a 616 Sqn. machine...