What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

Menelaos

10 hours ago, Palm-tree said:

It just has to be an EE Lightning or a Jaguar!:m0152:

Thought you meant the only RAF Lightning that’s been deployed operationally - the F-35B type! I’d buy that. 

The EE Lightning is the English Electric Lightning as also utilised by the Royal Air Force but which has not been seen in the sky for several years now.

I too would buy a F-35 version though if it appeared in 1/24.

Just to remove any doubt, the Jaguar referred to is the Sepecat Jaguar not the four legged or four wheeled version.:D

I woke up the other day and Sabre sprang to mind immediately - must have been dreaming. I would think that a Sea Fury is also likely. The Sabre, like the F6F, is not well kitted in large scale, was used by the RAF, has a US angle, is available to scan in the UK and has lots of great markings. It is also a jet which must be tempting from a novelty perspective.

I was lucky enough to be at Telford when they unveiled the F6F. Chatting to the Airfix rep two things were apparent. 

1. Margins on the big kits are greater proportionally (the rapid sale of the first 5000 Hellcats was mentioned in Hornby’s annual report even.

2. The five year gap between the Typhoon and F6F was due to the former’s designer leaving and lack of replacement. 

From this one would hope that we will see more 1/24 kits in a shorter timeframe.

Will

Edited by scimitarf1
Something to add

14 hours ago, Palm-tree said:

The EE Lightning is the English Electric Lightning as also utilised by the Royal Air Force but which has not been seen in the sky for several years now.

I too would buy a F-35 version though if it appeared in 1/24.

Just to remove any doubt, the Jaguar referred to is the Sepecat Jaguar not the four legged or four wheeled version.:D

I was (gently) trolling the UK anti-F-35 crowd as the EE one was never deployed operationally by the RAF in its career, unlike the UK F-35. I knew which Lightning you meant! :D

47 minutes ago, GMK said:

I was (gently) trolling the UK anti-F-35 crowd as the EE one was never deployed operationally by the RAF in its career, unlike the UK F-35. I knew which Lightning you meant! :D

Never operationally deployed abroad but it did a fantastic job of meeting those pesky ruskies when they happened to stray into our airspace. I'd love to see an EE Lightning in 1/24. My dad always said it was just two big engines with a seat and control stick welded on top as an afterthought.

But no thanks on that big steaming pile of donkey poo the Lightning II

Just now, AlanG said:

But no thanks on that big steaming pile of donkey poo the Lightning II

Funny how many people seem to think that.........................

Until you talk to the guys who fly them. Ive talked to 4 now at two different airshows, with just me, them and my brother close enough to hear what they were saying, and they love, LOVE the airplane. 

Now if you don't like the looks of it, that's one thing, and the cost overruns are a known issue and the result of the government, not necessarily the ac manu, but the pilots who fly them indicated performance wise,  they are a lot of things but a steaming pile is not one of them. 

7 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Until you talk to the guys who fly them. Ive talked to 4 now at two different airshows, with just me, them and my brother close enough to hear what they were saying, and they love, LOVE the airplane. 

Now if you don't like the looks of it, that's one thing, and the cost overruns are a known issue and the result of the government, not necessarily the ac manu, but the pilots who fly them indicated performance wise,  they are a lot of things but a steaming pile is not one of them. 

well I'm not one of those...I like the looks of the 35...I wish the HAF will fly it some day...come on back to topic please

F-35-A346-MHAF.png

Edited by Menelaos

If they do another British plane it has to be the Spitfire with enough different parts to make all versions from one kit. But my hopes would be for as Bristol type 156 Beaufighter would look good alongside the Mosquito.

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

8 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

If thd do another British plane it has to be the Spitfire withe enough different parts to make all versions from one kit. But my hopes would be for as Bristol type 156 Beaufighter would look good alongside the Mosquito.

Ron G 

That's why I woted for the beaufighter, because they already did the Mossie

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

There's a series on in the UK at the moment about pilots training and converting onto the F-35.

The RAF/Fleet Air Arm pilots in the US doing the conversion absolutely love them.

Just one thing regarding the original Lightning not being deployed operationally abroad ?

How about Gutersloh and Geilenkirchen West Germany in the 60's during the cold war ?

RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus?

RAF Luqa, Malta ?

RAF Tengha, Singapore?

:D

Edited by PhilB