What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

Menelaos

I'm just glad that Airfix have continued to produce 1/24 scale planes. If they can continue the upward trend in quality that showed exponential improvements from Mosquito -> Typhoon -> Hellcat, then even better.

As to what they produce next, my personal preference would be for a later Hawker (Fury or Sea Fury) or a P-47.

Here's my take!

Some really good ideas from other contributors on the thread, but my guess would be the three 1/24  'bigun's  that are in first position are ...……..

1/ A Mk IX Spitfire

2/ An early or late mark Vought Corsair

3/ A P-38 Lightning 

Although I have to admit a 1/24 DH Vampire would rock my world!

Happy days! 

The 1/24 releases by Airfix are wonderful and I hope they are able to continue. Their choices so far make future releases difficult to predict though. While logic might suggest that state-of-the -art versions of the old standards like a Spitfire I, or a P-51D/K would sell,  who would have predicted a Typhoon or a Hellcat? Very exciting and brave choices I think, but not ones I would have thought of right away.

That kind of leaves things wide open. I can imagine a Sea Fury, or a Corsair, but I would most like to see a Mustang III (P-51B/C) or a Spitfire IX or XIV. I would also get excited about a Sabre.

As usual, we'll just have to wait. They will probably announce a Mustang IV just as I finish their 50-year old offering

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

When Airfix released their first 1/24 kits, the theme was the BoB. If they continue with that type of logic (purely speculative concept on my part), and to complete their release of the Fw 190 and P-51, and Typhoon they could add the Me 262 , Fw 190 D, P-38 and late Spit for a late war selection. A Tempest would fit perfectly too. A D-9 exists from Trumpeter already so this type might not be considered as much but who knows...

A desert theme would be interesting too and a Macchi 202 and P-40 jump to mind!

Post war, why not the Korean war. Not so well known but nice subjects: Sea Fury, Firefly, Sabre, MiG-15, Panther.

Many of these suggestions have been made in previous posts, but I thought they could be grouped in a logical way.

Also, a EE Lightning would simply be astounding!!! One of the most iconic jets of its era!

Alain

My uneducated (and optimistic) guess would be for the F-3 version of the Hellcat, which has some more interesting (to me anyway) colour schemes and would be less work than tooling a complete new kit. While many of the suggestions would be nice to see, I think the variant is more likely, as happened with the Tiffie.