Mr. Color lacquer tips?

Woody V

16 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I doused the prop in rubbing alcohol to clean it off just in case there might have been some mold release on it or something.  On my second attempt, the primer stayed put while the Mr. Color scratched off...  Never had that happen to me before.  I had never used a Mr. Color paint before even though I've had them for a few years now.  Maybe it's gone bad but it didn't appear that way when I was preparing it.

It's highly unlikely that the paint has "gone bad" over time. I've been thinking about this and I believe you must have a defective bottle.

Paint is comprised of three major components - four if you count additives. Regardless, paint is comprised of pigment (color), vehicle (liquid) and binder. Binder is the component which holds the pigment together into a continuous film once the vehicle has evaporated (or cured) and I believe that the paint you are having problems with is lacking binder. Try using another color at the same mix and see if it flakes off.

Other than that I got nothing.

I follow the same procedure in preparing a model for paint: Rub it down with LT thinner (I'm not using alcohol, don't know why), prime the model 

with Mr. Surfacer 1500 grey, wait for at least 24 hrs. then apply the final color coat. I've never had the problem you've experienced. I'm not 

an expert when it comes to chemistry of paints, but maybe the paint and the primer didn't like each other in your second attempt? What primer are you using? 

Like Woody said, age should't be a problem, I've succesfully used their paints which have been stored away for several years. 

I love the Mr.Color lacquer paints. I agree with using the self leveling thinner.

When I first started using MC I didn't thin them enough. I would shoot paint and get spider webs.

Once you get use to these paints you will love them. Just use in a ventilated area. 

Jason

On 8/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, Luca said:

Wouldn't this one (Mr. Hobby thinner) be more appropriate for acrylics? rather than Mr. Color leveling thinner?

s-l300.jpg

This thinner is for Mr Hobby Color the water (ish) based one.

The lacquer based Mr Color Use the deep blue Mr Color Thinners or yellow Mr Color Levelling Thinner  the mix ratio is important not to thick or your airbrush thinks your spiderman

Bob

I've been using Mr. Color lacquer paints for years and love them along with the leveling thinner.  I use MRP on occasion now but I still stick with Mr. Color for most needs.  I can't add anything that everyone else already told you.  I also really like their buffing metalizers, especially iron.  They look terrible when you first spray them but buffing them up after it dries, really gives a metal appearance. 

One other thing I like about them is I have paints that are at least 12 years old and they still work perfectly fine.  Some have even dried up but leveling thinner brings them right back.

I think you will like them :)

Bryan

What primer are you using?

I used Alclad grey primer...probably since it's a very high sheen primer, it may be that in and of itself why I could scrape the paint off of the primed surface.  The Ki-44 I did was natural metal so I just batched everything and painted the prop (again) with the Alclad primer.