WNW releases...

Pup7309

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

So, I'm not an absolute WNW fan, I do appreciate what they do but find it all a bit scary

Richard

I agree the detail and rigging is a lot more work than stressed skin. 

Yes they are also expensive so practicing on a Roden is good advice. I look at some of the results of experienced modellers

and wish I could do a quick apprenticeship rather than trial and error!

14 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

I agree the detail and rigging is a lot more work than stressed skin. 

Yes they are also expensive so practicing on a Roden is good advice. I look at some of the results of experienced modellers

and wish I could do a quick apprenticeship rather than trial and error!

Neither detail nor rigging scare me.

For example:

DSCF0098.JPG

or:

DSCF0427.JPG

These are both mine

It is something a bit more subtle about WNW, something about not screwing it up. It isn't a logical thing

Richard

59 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Now, I find WNW kits rather intimidating. My first took the best part of ten years to finish. I have a Roland I haven't finished off and a D.VII to come.

It is as though the kits are so perfect, I can only mess them up - which would be my fault. I'm much happier buying a cheap Roden kit and bashing that to my hearts content.

So, I'm not an absolute WNW fan, I do appreciate what they do but find it all a bit scary

Richard

I feel a bit like you do.  However I consider my options to be either messing it up, or finding a colour scheme not covered by a The decal set.   I will do Voss, but the remainder of my WNW kits will be more individual.  There’s something disturbing about doing a model and seeing it’s twin pop up every time you do a bit of research.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I feel a bit like you do.  However I consider my options to be either messing it up, or finding a colour scheme not covered by a The decal set.   I will do Voss, but the remainder of my WNW kits will be more individual.  There’s something disturbing about doing a model and seeing it’s twin pop up every time you do a bit of research.

Then buy this book, lots of interesting options here, trust me.

ycLbn7.jpg

17 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Then buy this book, lots of interesting options here, trust me.

Actually, here is an online source:  Any of you guys own the Flight Sim:  Rise of flight?  I have found flight sim skin makers very helpful in finding schemes.  Here is the DR.1 skins page:  https://riseofflight.com/forum/forum/204-fokker-dri/

Here is a sample:

59670_9008f5418a81648f0cb4c9c2504178b0.j

A small caveat, you may need to join the forum to see images...  I've been a member since the game first came out...  And some images don't work because the OP may have deleted images...  but there are still a lot there.   Oh... and some are blurred because of Photobucket.

Some even give you a color chip image...  though this is not an extensive feature:

59670_a3408c59995e3994976590ca7fd2e531.j

WTH here are two more with blue cowlings!  All images posted for discussion only.

FDr1_J36Bongartz_2.jpg

FDr1_J36Bongartz_3.jpg

There are lots of other planes skinned there.

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I’m working on WNW Junkers D1 and J1 at the moment. Had some leftover WW2 Luftwaffe paints from years ago and used them as base colours. I don’t  know where it’s all going but I’d rather have a generic decal-ed a/c in a non generic way. There is the  critical voice about 100% accuracy but I can argue colours might look a certain way in a certain light and ‘because I can’. But yeah, I guess when you’re working on an OOP high end kit you want to do it justice! ...but I’m sure they’ll re-release it at some stage in case I do stuff it up.

If you’re prepared to fork out for aftermarket Pheon decals have a few options not everyone has done. I’m thinking of doing an Albatros with no special markings because I don’t think I’ve seen one yet!

Edited by Pup7309

3 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I’m working on WNW Junkers D1 and J1 at the moment. Had some leftover WW2 Luftwaffe paints from years ago and used them as base colours. I don’t  know where it’s all going but I’d rather have a generic decal-ed a/c in a non generic way. There is the  critical voice about 100% accuracy but I can argue colours might look a certain way in a certainty light and ‘because I can’. But yeah, I guess when you’re working on an OOP high end kit you want to do it justice! ...but I’m sure they’ll re-release it at some stage in case I do stuff it up.

If you’re prepared to fork out for aftermarket Pheon decals they have a few options not everyone has done. I’m thinking of doing an Albatros with no special markings because I don’t think I’ve seen one yet!

I don't feel that I have to have a real plane to model in all cases.  I have a future WNW build that I will make for Jasta 23b because I like the markings.  But, if I cannot find a suitable candidate for fuselage art, I'm not above making my own.  

3 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I don't feel that I have to have a real plane to model in all cases.  I have a future WNW build that I will make for Jasta 23b because I like the markings.  But, if I cannot find a suitable candidate for fuselage art, I'm not above making my own.  

Why not. A few years back, I did a 1:72 Dr.I in a completely bogus scheme, just because I felt like it.

QjWchZ.jpg

53 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Why not. A few years back, I did a 1:72 Dr.I in a completely bogus scheme, just because I felt like it.

It's all about personal enjoyment, brother!

18 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Very good builds, irrelevant for me though. I cant afford WNW kits. 

There are other WWI alternatives.  I have a couple of Roden kits, too.  And the Roden Albatros spinner is correct, whereas WNW refuses to fix theirs.

16 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Very good builds, irrelevant for me though. I cant afford WNW kits. 

Sorry to hear that. The exchange rate etc adds over 40% to US retail. I know at least one person here who passes on them due to cost.