WNW releases...

Pup7309

24 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

So sometimes they scrap a mould if it isn’t up to standard- this would be expensive?

That would be very unusual. More likely a mould would be reworked to solve some kind of moulding problem. Like thickening up a wall, modifying gates and vents - that kind of stuff

Injection moulding dies are a weird mixture of science and black arts

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

That would be very unusual. More likely a would would be reworked to solve some kind of moulding problem. Like thickening up a wall, modifying gates and vents - that kind of stuff

Injection moulding dies are a weird mixture of science and black arts

Richard

So it’s more about the manufacturing process rather than a shape or a incorrect part. This would be previously finalised (?)

Interesting. I would like to see that. I’ve heard you can visit the Tamiya factory.

Moulds are not scrapped but they are modified after test shots are built which may highlight any errors or deficiencies. It's a back and forth process between the model business and the moulding factory. Wingnuts are fastidious in getting everything right so no kit is signed off on till it is test built, errors fixed and the final mould is as good as humanly possible.

The test sprues of Wingnuts Fokker DR.1s and Handley Page O/100 and O/400s and the Lancasters we've seen at model shows are all part of this test/ build/ modify process. All companies do it.

While moulds are not scrapped I believe they sometimes do need a radical overhaul. I understand when WnW was developing its RE8 a few years back the detail conscious folk at the moulding plant in China helpfully decided to smother the aircraft with beautifully scale rivets. I'm told Wingnuts had to ask for the mould to be de-riveted! 

Dave Wilson

Gold Coast

Australia

On 2/18/2020 at 9:55 AM, Dave Wilson said:

Moulds are not scrapped but they are modified after test shots are built which may highlight any errors or deficiencies. It's a back and forth process between the model business and the moulding factory. Wingnuts are fastidious in getting everything right so no kit is signed off on till it is test built, errors fixed and the final mould is as good as humanly possible...While moulds are not scrapped I believe they sometimes do need a radical overhaul. I understand when WnW was developing its RE8 a few years back the detail conscious folk at the moulding plant in China helpfully decided to smother the aircraft with beautifully scale rivets. I'm told Wingnuts had to ask for the mould to be de-riveted! 

Dave Wilson

Gold Coast

Australia

Thanks for your reply Dave very informative about the process. I guess initiative isn’t  always helpful on the factory floor! 

Edited by Pup7309

33 minutes ago, Dave Wilson said:

The test sprues of Wingnuts Fokker DR.1s and Handley Page O/100 and O/400s and the Lancasters we've seen at model shows are all part of this test/ build/ modify process. All companies do it.

Dave

I guess we can hope to see Dr1’s and HP’s at Shizuoka hobby show and releases in the first half of this year. Fingers crossed anyway. 

Oh yes then there’s the Lancaster...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I was tempted, despite the crapola exchange rate to pick up an decal-less Pfalz.   But I really like cockpit decals...

Yes you might be able to get something from Yahu but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a cheaper kit

Edited by Pup7309

I did notice that Hannants now have all 2020 WNM models up fro Pre-order now ,

I have no idea what that means as regards the  release dates, of the models, but they do have a discount on them is you Pre-order from them

CR

13 hours ago, Quill4 said:

Is it just me, or does this release not smell a bit like a stop gap to cover for the late arrival of the Lancaster and Triplane?  Announce something, anything!

It does a bit. Hopefully their CAD and artwork won’t be affected for announcing future releases, but the release dates of course will be out of whack due to Covid delays.

Edited by Pup7309