2) Sopwith Baby

3) Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

4) Nieuport

5) Dh5

6) Dr1 Triplane

7) Hanriot HD1

8) Hanriot HD2

Have I missed anything?

Well, I think the picture is of a Le Rhone 9J, so...

- No point listing the Dr.I as we already know that's coming, I can't see them releasing three versions at once

- Can't be a Hanriot HD.2 because that was powered by a Clerget 9B

- I suspect that if it was a Comic they'd just announce it as it's essentially another version of the Camel

- You've missed the Avro 504, Bristol M.1, and RAF F.E.8 off your list

- The fact they specifically mentioned 'French' would lead us to the Nieuport family, the Hanriot HD.1 or the SPAD SA-2

- But 'French' does not rule out the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter  - IIRC the French built and operated more Strutters than the British did

Edited by vince14

33 minutes ago, vince14 said:

Well, I think the picture is of a Le Rhone 9J, so...

- No point listing the Dr.I as we already know that's coming, I can't see them releasing three versions at once

- Can't be a Hanriot HD.2 because that was powered by a Clerget 9B

- I suspect that if it was a Comic they'd just announce it as it's essentially another version of the Camel

- You've missed the Avro 504, Bristol M.1, and RAF F.E.8 off your list

- The fact they specifically mentioned 'French' would lead us to the Nieuport family, the Hanriot HD.1 or the SPAD SA-2

- But 'French' does not rule out the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter  - IIRC the French built and operated more Strutters than the British did

Thanks that’s a great assessment.

Kind of like it to be a Hanriot but a Strutter fits the Sopwith numbering.

A SPAD SA 2 would be interesting...

The Sopwith Strutter has lots of possibilities. Besides the usual suspects, they used them in Afghanistan, Belgium, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Estonia, Greece, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine, plus civil planes in Argentina, Sweden and Switzerland. It really got around. WNW could release a post war version and Pheon could still make several sheets to cover the variations.... but would anyone but me be interested in them? Not a lot of Small Air Force stuff gets built it seems. Probably have to print or make masks, but a good kit makes that work.

Tnarg

9 hours ago, Tnarg said:

The Sopwith Strutter has lots of possibilities. Besides the usual suspects, they used them in Afghanistan, Belgium, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Estonia, Greece, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine, plus civil planes in Argentina, Sweden and Switzerland. It really got around. WNW could release a post war version and Pheon could still make several sheets to cover the variations.... but would anyone but me be interested in them? Not a lot of Small Air Force stuff gets built it seems. Probably have to print or make masks, but a good kit makes that work.

Tnarg

WNW would make some interesting boxing’s of different nationalities. It was used as a single seat fighter. But personally not interested in that. It was a stopgap until they could get better types later on but a lot of airmen flew them.

Edited by Pup7309

On 9/21/2019 at 4:24 AM, ringleheim said:

And on a related note, if a bunch of guys/gals can sit around at WNW, play on a computer with 3D software, farm the mold work out to a Chinese company, and make some of the best fitting models in the world, why does this seem to elude almost every one else with only a few exceptions?

I wish Peter Jackson would start an educational program where he invites other model company owners to come and see how they do it in Wellington.  The entire industry would be benefitted and modelers all over the world, too.

I wish they had a tour for modellers! But I think they would be (probably understandably) a bit reticent to offer that. 

I have heard you can visit Tamiya but not sure how much you get to see.  

3 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I wish they had a tour for modellers! But I think they would be (probably understandably) a bit reticent to offer that. 

I have heard you can visit Tamiya but not sure how much you get to see.  

Probably a lot less than before someone blew the gaff on the P-38 by publishing a photo of a CAD screen ...

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Probably a lot less than before someone blew the gaff on the P-38 by publishing a photo of a CAD screen ...

I suspect that the whole "oops, you were not meant to see that" was "staged". :-)

Tamiya won't stop the visits to the HQ. It is a great money-maker for them. They open the doors during the Shizuoka show and they also run a "monster sale" in two huge shops, one in the basement and one on the top floor. It is a very tightly-run operation. 

Radu

1 hour ago, Radub said:

I suspect that the whole "oops, you were not meant to see that" was "staged". :-)

Tamiya won't stop the visits to the HQ. It is a great money-maker for them. They open the doors during the Shizuoka show and they also run a "monster sale" in two huge shops, one in the basement and one on the top floor. It is a very tightly-run operation. 

Radu

:lol:Is the sale run during the Shizuoka show or at another time during the year?

I have been to the Shizuoka show three times and each time I went to the Tamiya HQ. I think that the Tamiya HQ is open all year-round for visitors who can visit the museum, a collection of built models and a few vehicles on display in the entrance hall. I am not sure if people are allowed to go upstairs to the ofices at this time. 

During the Shizuoka show, Tamiya operates a round-the-clock shuttle bus ferying people from the venue to the HQ in the outskirts of the city. There is a long queue for people waiting for the shuttle at both ends. Thousands go to the HQ during the show. At this stage the upstairs offices are open to visitors. Some floors are "out of bounds" (the buttons are covered in the elevator), but on the floors open to the public you can go to see the design office where they draw CAD or decal artwork, the marketing office, and so on. You can also go in the basement where you can see milling machines, injection-moulding machines, the moulds in storage, etc. At this stage, in the basement they have a large "sale" room filled floor to ceiling with all kinds of models, mostly RC, but also some pre-built models or plstic model kits. The prices are quite good and stuff literally flies off the shelf. There is a very long queue, they only allow so many into the room. The first time I went there the queue started on the entrance floor and it continued down a couple of flights of stairs and then continued on the basment floor. It took about 40 minutes to get into the room. If you want RTR RC cars, the prices are great, can't be beat. On the top floor there is a shop with sale and non-sale prices where you can get all kinds of stuff, kits, tools, paints, accessories, etc. 
Radu 

2 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Bring on the Sopwith Baby!

Would like a Farman or Voisin as well.

Farman or Voisin would be interesting. A lot of rigging. 

The Baby flew with a French Clerget? It seems a logical fit between the Sopwith Camel and ships Camel.