WNW releases...

Pup7309

Just my two cents, I will buy two of the CSM kits from my usual supplier as soon as they are released. Whether I also buy a WNW kit will depend more on what markings they have on offer and if it makes a third kit worthwhile. I love my WNW collection, but can see that CSM will suffer from this unexpected dual release, and if sales are halved it could indeed hurt them. If that happens we may not see future kits.

7 hours ago, Radub said:

Roden lost the competition with WNW because their product was of lower quality. But CSM has a very good quality product. CSM is not Roden. I have their Nieuports and they look every bit a good challenger to WNW. If their Hansa Brandenburg is as good (or better) than their Nieuports and they sell it cheaper than WNW, then you just watch what happens...

Radu 

Yes this would be CSMs way out. Make a kit as good as Wingnuts and sell them cheaper. If that’s possible.

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Do you honestly think those that have never bought CSM are going to buy CSM when they can buy the same thing from tried and true WNW?  And for those of us living closer to New Zealand, do you think we are going to buy an item that will have astronomical US postage rates added to it?  You are not considering all of the  millstones that are being hung around the neck of CSM because of this.   

Gaz

True people won’t usually buy a couple of Wingnuts kits and then fork out for a few of the same quality and price CSM kits. 

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The problem is as I said, my lack of interest in WWI. I've got lots of WnW kits, but it's just as much the packaging, instructions, individual sprue bags, the detail in the historical photos, and the overall WnW building experience.

Yes the historical research and photos are excellent. Actually I’m not that into to whole nitty gritty of the specs but it’s educational and really feel like that’s the experience I am paying for. They have really done the research.

14 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Maybe competition is good for the customer but not sure how well that works out in the long run? WNW is going to win any long term competition as they have the almost unique situation of having a billionaire backing them. I could see CSM just saying screw doing any more 1/32 subjects as it is too risky - if they pick something that likely would sell well then there is even more risk that WNW will do it and announce 2 seconds after CSM does to kill their sales. The HB D.I surely seemed pretty safe to CSM as a choice but just interesting enough that it might sell well, and WNW had not touched anything from that front as yet but here we are.

The subject field of 1/32 WW1 model aircraft is a pretty narrow interest and demand only going to be so much; it would seem that the two companies having some level of communication about this would make sense but what do I know :P

Yes I hope it doesn’t force them back into 1/48. But that would be good for those who do 1/48 or don’t have the display space for a Felixstowe.

You’re right they maybe thought that it was a safe bet as WNW has not ventured into mid Europe a/c types. 

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The problem is as I said, my lack of interest in WWI. I've got lots of WnW kits, but it's just as much the packaging, instructions, individual sprue bags, the detail in the historical photos, and the overall WnW building experience.

I can well understand your approach to WnW! The „outer appearance is quite the same with CSM... And the instructions-booklet is made up like a field-manual for the original airplane.

same story as with Lanc last year.

I think it's logical move from WNW and I would do the same. They are just trying to secure some future cash. They still need to make a money. That's why we are not getting WNW kts for 20€ ;) 

However It will most probably hurt CSM somehow which is bad for LSP community. 

nothing can be done, each of us will have to buy at least one D.1 to support the market :)

jan

37 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

same story as with Lanc last year.

I think it's logical move from WNW and I would do the same. They are just trying to secure some future cash. They still need to make a money. That's why we are not getting WNW kts for 20€ ;) 

However It will most probably hurt CSM somehow which is bad for LSP community. 

nothing can be done, each of us will have to buy at least one D.1 to support the market :)

jan

Ok so to be good LSP citizens we need to buy CSM as well as WNW! :speak_cool:If they throw in free postage or a good selling price I'm in.

You never know the CSM offering may be very build-able/collectable.:thumbsup:

I am easy to market kits.  No complicated formulas or speculations.  I am anticipating that kits from both companies will continue to be  great.  I own the CSM Newport kits and WNW kits.  The planned offerings are  exactly what I have been waiting for. Although I have no more room in the stash nor display area for anymore twin engine monsters from either companies.  So I will pre-order two or three Dr. I kits and buy CSM kits too. This should make up for folks that do not not for their own reasons.   BYW I like the crazy butt ugly WWI planes too. Bring em on. 

Rick 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, Radub said:

Competition will work in the same way competition works for cars, telephones, hamburgers, toothbrushes, socks, anything... People make choices every day for whatever reasons. Choice is never bad. 

Radu

In principle, in a very general sense, yes.

If this particular competition puts CSM out of business, which it could, it would be bad.

At least if you are a modeler who enjoys building WWI aircraft kits.

Anyway you slice it, this kit redundancy in bad news for CSM.

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

In principle, in a very general sense, yes.

If this particular competition puts CSM out of business, which it could, it would be bad.

At least if you are a modeler who enjoys building WWI aircraft kits.

Anyway you slice it, this kit redundancy in bad news for CSM.

Why would CSM "go out of business"? CSM may make a better kit and sell it at a competitive price. I seriously doubt that "money is no object" for WNW. Recently, WNW put up their prices and started charging for postage. That knocked dead the illusion that "money is no object" and "they don't care for profits, only passion." :-) Why did WNW make an announcement about a Hansa Brandenburg as soon as CSM announced theirs? This looks like WNW is worried. And they should be! They made WW1 mainstream. This "new market" made a lot of money for a lot of people: decals, resin, photo-etch,  books, etc. This is a fertile market, this is where the money is. Now everyone wants a piece of that. CSM is only one. More will follow. This is WNW's to lose. This may force them to "break" the last "commandment" of the WNW cultists and start making models of French or Italian aircraft. 

Radu 

3 hours ago, Radub said:

Why would CSM "go out of business"? CSM may make a better kit and sell it at a competitive price. I seriously doubt that "money is no object" for WNW. Recently, WNW put up their prices and started charging for postage. That knocked dead the illusion that "money is no object" and "they don't care for profits, only passion." :-) Why did WNW make an announcement about a Hansa Brandenburg as soon as CSM announced theirs? This looks like WNW is worried. And they should be! They made WW1 mainstream. This "new market" made a lot of money for a lot of people: decals, resin, photo-etch,  books, etc. This is a fertile market, this is where the money is. Now everyone wants a piece of that. CSM is only one. More will follow. This is WNW's to lose. This may force them to "break" the last "commandment" of the WNW cultists and start making models of French or Italian aircraft. 

Radu 

Sometimes, you can be a bit of a prat.