New 1/48 F-14 from AMK

D.B. Andrus

FINALLY!!! However, judging from what I have seen so far, it is quite full of flaws and inaccuracies which will be hard to tackle; the misshaped rear end and the misdimensioned turtleback being the biggest turn off for me. I for one will most likly stick to the established Tamiya option in that scale.

However, a nice attempt with many options nonetheless.

Edited by bushande

Brian,

Isn’t there enough on this subject on the other sites about this project  that we really need to discuss it here??   Considering  it is 1/48 and not a LSP,  does it have to be here?

Seems  like the hobby is turning into nothing but self proclaimed experts and complainers.   

18 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

Brian,

Isn’t there enough on this subject on the other sites about this project  that we really need to discuss it here??   Considering  it is 1/48 and not a LSP,  does it have to be here?

Seems  like the hobby is turning into nothing but self proclaimed experts and complainers.   

Well, it is in general discussion, which is where any and all non-LSP kit banter besides RFIs and WIPs should be put. Its a single post, and honestly I dont see any harm in it being in general. 

I was merely pointing out the fact that it would feel weird to have been beaten to the punch per-se by Tamiya after putting a lot of work into a release, regardless of scale.   

As far as "other sites" go, I dont go to them. None of them. So I honestly really wouldn't have a clue what is being talked about on them. 

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

There will be people who (despite a five year delay) think it's the second coming of Christ, and will gush over it accordingly.

There will be people who know a fair bit about the F-14 who will criticize its errors and omissions.

As long as the former don't belittle the latter for their positions, nor the latter belittle the former for their positions, all will be well.  Who thinks that's likely to happen?

Its all on display over at a 195 page, 4800+ post thread over at ARC that started back in 2015.  Enjoy!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/page/195/&tab=comments#comment-2969983

Just now, Dave Williams said:

Its all on display over at a 195 page, 4800+ post thread over at ARC that started back in 2015.  Enjoy!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/page/195/&tab=comments#comment-2969983

lol :lol: Ill have to pass on that one thanks.    I cant remember the last time I went to ARC, and I intend on keeping it that way. 

Hey Brian,

No worries.  Perhaps it is a good thing to post here after all.   My initial reaction was “oh no,  here too”. as the topic has been talked to death elsewhere.  The real issue here is the fact AMK took prepayment for the kit and badly missed the deadline.   What happened here is a good example for taking prepayment period.  At least AMK is coming through.  This is why I would never take prepayment or deposit,  outside of commissioned projects.  

The other issue in that long thread is possible errors in the back fuselage.  Until we get the plastic no one knows if it is right, close, or way off.   Seeing things in person presents a different perspective than viewing drawings and pictures.  The WNW Lancaster is an example.   In person the surface detail is impressive, but much more subtle than any of the 3D CAD or online test shots show.  

Anyhow have ave a great day everyone

Gary

Nice looking kitty which was in gestation for a considerable length of time.

I've invested too much in a 1/32 Trumpeter F-14D already, with the Zacto pallet fronts and some wheels about to be added to the Trumpeter Tomcat "suitcase" (yes, the box has a carrying handle).

But AMK have made some nice models. Just wondering if they'll make an F-14A next, or move onto a wholly new subject.

Tony 

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/08/do-you-feel-need-need-for-new-f-14-amk.html

Phantastic ?  no,  just  TOMCASTIC !!!

Obviously I  still do not have it , but absolutely the most outstanding kit in 1/48 in this Planet

with new molding technology.

"The bulged canopy - said to be the best of its type on a scale model tomcat." 

Soon we will have aluminium kits instead plastic ones.

I hope the way AMK molded the wing gloves  finally will not have those unrealistic gaps that prevent

so many to photograph F-14s masterpieces from the left or right side...

F16