LS Australian Service F/A 18A/B

Artful69

Hi All ...

Thats right ... a Jet!

I'm doing a bit of an Australian themed collection a need the correct LSP for the RAAF.

Apparently, back in 1984, we acquired 15 F-18A's and 18F-18B's ...

I have absolutely NO IDEA when it comes to jets.

Can someone help with pointing out ...

Kit selection and the possibility of in-kit decals ... or AM decals to suit?

Any issues that need addressing with said kit?

Rog :)

This kit gives you the option of both single seat and two seat, you will need the early A/B tail, Cutting Edge did one, not sure who does now, D Mold & Rhino make seamless intakes, G Factor u/c, think Northstar make resin wheels, regards decals, you should take a look at Southern Sky Models, Hawkeye have produced some as have a few other companies. 

10 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

This kit gives you the option of both single seat and two seat, you will need the early A/B tail, Cutting Edge did one, not sure who does now, D Mold & Rhino make seamless intakes, G Factor u/c, think Northstar make resin wheels, regards decals, you should take a look at Southern Sky Models, Hawkeye have produced some as have a few other companies. 

Thanks ... thats a whole lot of info ...

I can't tell the difference between an F-15 and F-18 so what does this mean? ...  "you will need the early A/B tail" ...

...  "seamless intakes" ... Are these important?

Is the undercarriage not good enough ... or the wheels?

Hi Rog

unless I’m mistaken the biggest difference in the A B tails from the C D tails is avionics bumps and such, the A and B have 1 less bump on each fin, the biggest issue I know of with the intake tunnels is that they are too small in the opening I bought a couple of resin replacements for my next 2,3,4 or more that I may build and the difference is quite noticeable. Although Aires makes some nice resin tail pipes I think I’ve read of issues with them (although I’ve used them and had no trouble) There are a few builds of that kit here on LSP by some very good modellers (not me) that will show some of the kits trouble spots and how to overcome them.

Hi Rog

Try and get the  Academy USMC F/A-18+ if you are making a single seater. It should still be available and has the right tail fins. I am not an expert on the Australian Hornets but the above kit should be the closest to an A.

Edited by Cheetah11
Spelling

If you do a search in the WIP section for Hornet, you'll find a build done by clumseydude on an Australian 20th anniversary hornet, and that will be a really good starting place for Australian hornets. Good luck with the build, the 1/32 hornets do look daunting when you open the box, but are a straight forward builds, even with aftermarket cockpits, landing gear wells etc. 

12 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Rog

Try and get the  Academy USMC F/A-18+ if you are making a single seater. It should still be available and has the right tail fins. I am not an expert on the Australian Hornets but the above kit should be the closest to an A.

This is the best kit by far if you are doing the single seat 'A' version.  I've built a few of the Academy Hornets and they need a bit of work but they look fantastic when done.

23 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

This is the best kit if you are doing a dual seat bird.  Kinetic just reboxed the Academy kit to include both the single and dual seat versions.  For this kit you will need a conversion for the earlier 'B' model.  Black Box makes makes a good conversion that you can find on ebay from time to time.

Other things to think about:  

It would be a good idea to buy G-Factor landing gear since the kit gear can sag if you don't glue them just right.  They are pricey but they look incredible.

Rhino intakes and exhaust.  The intakes include resin wheels if I remember correctly and they correct the odd shape of the kit.  The exhaust are nice too.  Don't buy Aires set as they are way too small.  I would also recommend Sierra Hotel intakes but they appear to be sold out at the moment.

Jake Melampy with Reid Air publications has some books that would be great for your project.  There are a lot of little but noticeable differences between the earlier and later jets that Jake's books can help you with.  I can't recommend these enough.

There is some other aftermarket things you can get but these are kind of the must haves.  You could do without the G-Factor landing gear but you have to be careful with the way you glue them together or they will sag over time.  

The Hornet is kinda in my wheel house so let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to help. :)

Bryan

11 hours ago, Durangokid said:

This is the best kit by far if you are doing the single seat 'A' version.  I've built a few of the Academy Hornets and they need a bit of work but they look fantastic when done.

This is the best kit if you are doing a dual seat bird.  Kinetic just reboxed the Academy kit to include both the single and dual seat versions.  For this kit you will need a conversion for the earlier 'B' model.  Black Box makes makes a good conversion that you can find on ebay from time to time.

Other things to think about:  

It would be a good idea to buy G-Factor landing gear since the kit gear can sag if you don't glue them just right.  They are pricey but they look incredible.

Rhino intakes and exhaust.  The intakes include resin wheels if I remember correctly and they correct the odd shape of the kit.  The exhaust are nice too.  Don't buy Aires set as they are way too small.  I would also recommend Sierra Hotel intakes but they appear to be sold out at the moment.

Jake Melampy with Reid Air publications has some books that would be great for your project.  There are a lot of little but noticeable differences between the earlier and later jets that Jake's books can help you with.  I can't recommend these enough.

There is some other aftermarket things you can get but these are kind of the must haves.  You could do without the G-Factor landing gear but you have to be careful with the way you glue them together or they will sag over time.  

The Hornet is kinda in my wheel house so let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to help. :)

Bryan

Bryan ...

Thanks for the AM tips - especially LG as I saw the awkward MLG set up on some photos... I'm kind of putting that out of my mind until I get set up for kits though ...

I have a Tamiya Mk.VIII Spitfire and a Revell Beaufighter on hand ... And an Italeri Mirage.III incoming and ready for Ausification.

If the Hornet is your thing - great ... could you do me a favour and let me know what the differences are in the tail ... I've looked at C's and D's and compared them to A's and I can't tell the difference!! ... mind you ... I'm looking at a Jet instead of a Bf.109 so no surprises there.

I'm pretty sure I have the right kit targeted now though! ... Academy 12107 ?? (Please confirm) ... Though I may shell out for the Kinetic kit just for S & G's.

Apparently Australia bought some Super Hornets as well which are different again ... getting dizzy now ... 

So ... Are these things single seat or twins or both? Its an F type I'll be after for that one ...

If the things are just twins I might just get one of each ... an A single and an F Twin.

Might get a BAe Hawk too.

Legacy Hornets (A, A+, B, C and D) are quite different from the Super Hornets (E and Fs) - differences in airframe

and completely different intakes just to name a few. If you want to go for an F then Trumpeter is your only choice.

For the aforementioned Legacy Hornets Academy is the kit to get, for the E and F  it's Trumpeter.

If I remember correctly, the A's and B's hat 2 bumps at the upper and rear part of the vertical stabilizer whereas

the C's and D's had 3.

And here my wisdom ends.....

Lothar  

I have one of these (Academy kit) in the stash to do as an RAAF a/c as well, so appreciate the original post and all the informed advice here. Thank you! :) 

I see Avionix do a 1/32 cockpit and fin set for the F/A 18A - any info on how this compares to the Aires set? 

Looks like the G-factor landing gear and Mk I exhausts are no longer available. Any suggestions here for alternatives? I was a little surprised to see from my Google searches that the Rhino sets are alleged to be copies of others work - if that is the case I would rather not go that path.

Finally, it seems the kit u/c legs can sag over time - ? Would pinning them with metal pins help do you think?

Thanks

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

1 hour ago, Pete Roberts said:

I have one of these (Academy kit) in the stash to do as an RAAF a/c as well, so appreciate the original post and all the informed advice here. Thank you! :) 

I see Avionix do a 1/32 cockpit and fin set for the F/A 18A - any info on how this compares to the Aires set? 

Looks like the G-factor landing gear and Mk I exhausts are no longer available. Any suggestions here for alternatives? I was a little surprised to see from my Google searches that the Rhino sets are alleged to be copies of others work - if that is the case I would rather not go that path.

Finally, it seems the kit u/c legs can sag over time - ? Would pinning them with metal pins help do you think?

Thanks

PR

Hey! ... Welcome to the thread Pete :)

I've been reading through threads, reviews and whatnot over the last week ...

Avionix gear is the ducks valuables, apparently! ... You'll need the tail fins if your getting the Kinetic boxing (of the Academy kit)

From what I've read ... the kit undercarriage holds up fine ... after years sitting and with resin additions to boot.

If I can score some G-Factor gear without paying overs I will but otherwise I will stick with the kit gear.

As for Rhino ... I have no idea ... But if they work and there is nothing else available - I'm going for it!

Having done several hornets, I've used both the Rhino and d mold intakes, both are way better than the kit parts as they are way undersized at the intake face. Rhino only sell on ebay and aren't available all the time, D mold would be my first choice, very good intakes, and you can buy from their website. 

I'm about to get a set for a f-4 phantom, currently they're on a break, and not taking orders, but will be from late August. 

Great news about the undercarriage. I have an Avionix cockpit set coming my way- more good news there. Thanks for the heads up Rog. 

And D mold for the intakes. They look brilliant, especially like the split on the line of different colours.

Now its just the exhausts. Looks like Eduard may have to come to the rescue here but not overly keen about bending etch.... Oh well.

PR

Ok, looks like several options for exhausts, but all pretty scarce.

Sierra Hotel, Black Box, Mk 1, Lion Roar and Eduard have all done exhausts in 1/32 for the Hornet, either as a resin part or photo etch. (And Aires)

Just secured a Black Box set so one very happy camper, but may also get the Eduard set - anyone had any experience with the Eduard set?

Thanks again for a great thread. 

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts