Jennings Heilig

NASM He 219 is reassembled!!

17 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Looking at the first photo I don’t see the downward angle of the SWS kit. On the one side-on photo I found of a He 219 I don’t see it either, so I will go with  Revell.

Nick

You need a "side on" profile photo taken from a distance to truly assess the angle - in that photo you need to see the angle of the wing in comparison with the top of the fuselage and then see the angle of the engine nacelle in comparison with the top of the fuselage. Then you need to extrapolate the angles. Then you need to compare those angles to the respective angles on the kits. That will requite a graphic software, the naked eye can be deceiving. 

Radu 

18 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I just looked on Air and Space Magazine. It was there that I read this, not Flypast

16b_aug2018_hires_b_live.jpg

The Museum’s restoration team was able to reverse-engineer a radar array using information gathered by X-ray from a loaned coral-encrusted dipole. (NASM Conservation Unit)
Read more at https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/in-the-museum-8-180969505/#JJ8AkPsoVdJKqXbM.99

I helped pull that one out of the water...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Radub said:

You need a "side on" profile photo taken from a distance to truly assess the angle - in that photo you need to see the angle of the wing in comparison with the top of the fuselage and then see the angle of the engine nacelle in comparison with the top of the fuselage. Then you need to extrapolate the angles. Then you need to compare those angles to the respective angles on the kits. That will requite a graphic software, the naked eye can be deceiving. 

Radu 

I totally agree Radu and that is why I am curious as to see what the He 219 in the NASM looks like once assembled.  The fact that the He 219 stood tall on the undercarriage and most photos were taken from ground level complicates things and make the relative position of the nacelles difficult to judge.  Just as an observation the Revell nacelles are the same angle as the Tamiya 1/48 kit. I am using the rear tip of the nacelles as reference and that seems to line up with the center of the fuselage. 

I also looked at these two photos as a guide, and decided when I build the Revell kit in my stash I will not try and adjust the angle of the nacelles as it seems too close to bother correcting.

Heinkel-2.jpg

Heinkel-3.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
spelling

3 hours ago, Radub said:

The museum staff will not really be able to "talk" to you. I have done some reasearch in the NASM archives  a few times. I was in the archives at Udvar Hazy last week and there was a definite "buzz" around the 219. In NASM everything has to be done "by the book". The staff at NASM are government employees, as such they cannot be seen as "favouring" anyone and they are subject to FOIA. I know people there too, but I never dared to ask for "favours". Absolutely everyone, friend, relative, stranger, everyone gets the same treatment. You need to "go by the book", apply, fill the forms, sign the indemnification agreements. They will guide you to where you can find the information you seek, but then you need to do the "digging" in the reading room. All restorations are thoroughly documented and I have seen the curatorial files for a number of aircraft. Some aircraft get an archival box, others get tens of boxes. And then, if you want to publish anything you found, you need to get the proper permissions. 

Radu 

thanks Radu, that's really interesting

This is the cockpit section in front with the nose wheel, behind nacelle and main wheel. You can clearly see the blue wires mentioned earlier

dzxeG7b.jpg

wing coming up

bjI6QT0.jpg

nmpS3gV.jpg

Not doing too good, huh

The interesting bit is that - to my knowledge - it has not been possible to determine the werk nummer and where it came from. Supposedly all 'Danish' 219's were accounted for. I've hear some people speculating it was a test aircraft out of Germany which could fit with that it did not carry a full gun complement. Obviously the aircraft was ditches a very short distance from land and I suppose the pilot chose to do that rather than land in the steep dunes or forested areas inland. Ejection seats were still in the aircraft

3 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Looking at the first photo I don’t see the downward angle of the SWS kit. On the one side-on photo I found of a He 219 I don’t see it either, so I will go with  Revell.

Nick

From my somewhat limited understanding of the subject, and following research by a fellow enthusiast I was corresponding with, here's the point illustrated below. You can see the red line and blue line show that the nacelles are slightly tilted forwards

ac2c094e63ed238446ad4da692cce031-full.jp

Brian - just an aircraft nut. I knew it was about to happen and when the word came out that they started, I called them and asked if I could help. I drove up with my dad who was an aircraft nut too - and we were taken out on the ships and just helped to man-handle the parts onto the deck.

Just gotta take the chance when it arise

1 hour ago, BNicklas said:

Well major components are together - the tail was added last night.

(now how do I add a photo?)

All you would need is a hosting site (Flikr, SmugMug, PhotoBucket <not my choice) and you can link to any picture

1 hour ago, BNicklas said:

Oh it looks so good up on gear.

A few bits & bobs yet, but looks like an He 219 now!

Brian N.

Awesome news!  Thanks so much for posting this and updating us, this is such a great thing to see.