Jennings Heilig

NASM He 219 is reassembled!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I read it will be a couple more years before for the empennage will be installed.  Bummer.

If by "a couple more years" you mean this weekend or early next week, then yes, a couple more years.  

Where did you hear that balderdash from?

Edited by Jennings Heilig

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I read it will be a couple more years before for the empennage will be installed.  Bummer.   The nacelles were restored ten years ago and now need another restoration before being installed.  They lost the engines and forward antenna arrangement and then found the landing gear out back of the U-H center missing the wheels/ tires and the gear sitting on construction blocks.

Looks like BNicklas is in the know, if not directly involved since he took the pics.  It appears that the gear, engines and tail should be completed before the weekend.............

18 hours ago, BNicklas said:

Thanks for posting my pics - I couldn't get on LSP - had to create anew, I guess I've been away too long - LOL

More to come, gear tonight, engines, then tail on Thursday.

1 minute ago, Jennings Heilig said:

He's only been a NASM employee for >30 years ;)

There you go.................straight from the NASM horses mouth.   Good news!

Will the airframe be fully complete after the install of the gear, engines, & tail? 

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yep.  At least as complete as the aircraft was when NASM got it.

Cool. I was not aware if they had the radar array and props/spinner ect. 

I just looked on Air and Space Magazine. It was there that I read this, not Flypast

16b_aug2018_hires_b_live.jpg

The Museum’s restoration team was able to reverse-engineer a radar array using information gathered by X-ray from a loaned coral-encrusted dipole. (NASM Conservation Unit)
Read more at https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/in-the-museum-8-180969505/#JJ8AkPsoVdJKqXbM.99

this is excellent news!

Our team (Kjetil Aakra, Marcel Hogenhuis and Martin Streetly) is busy writing our book on the He 219 as we speak. Expected delivery date end of 2020.

I am seriously considering going over to the Udvar Hazy Centre to talk to the restoration staff. 

I do have a contact there, but I could always do with another. Could anyone help?  

5 minutes ago, richdlc said:

this is excellent news!

Our team (Kjetil Aakra, Marcel Hogenhuis and Martin Streetly) is busy writing our book on the He 219 as we speak. Expected delivery date end of 2020.

I am seriously considering going over to the Udvar Hazy Centre to talk to the restoration staff. 

I do have a contact there, but I could always do with another. Could anyone help?  

The museum staff will not really be able to "talk" to you. I have done some reasearch in the NASM archives  a few times. I was in the archives at Udvar Hazy last week and there was a definite "buzz" around the 219. In NASM everything has to be done "by the book". The staff at NASM are government employees, as such they cannot be seen as "favouring" anyone and they are subject to FOIA. I know people there too, but I never dared to ask for "favours". Absolutely everyone, friend, relative, stranger, everyone gets the same treatment. You need to "go by the book", apply, fill the forms, sign the indemnification agreements. They will guide you to where you can find the information you seek, but then you need to do the "digging" in the reading room. All restorations are thoroughly documented and I have seen the curatorial files for a number of aircraft. Some aircraft get an archival box, others get tens of boxes. And then, if you want to publish anything you found, you need to get the proper permissions. 

Radu 

On 14 August 2019 at 9:21 AM, Cheetah11 said:

At last I can make a decision on the nacelle angle. Who will be  closest?  Revell or SWS.

On 14 August 2019 at 10:06 AM, thierry laurent said:

I was thinking the same thing some weeks ago when the reassembly was announced! 

Me too. Any preliminary verdict? 

Cheers

Tony 

31 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Me too. Any preliminary verdict? 

Cheers

Tony 

Looking at the first photo I don’t see the downward angle of the SWS kit. On the one side-on photo I found of a He 219 I don’t see it either, so I will go with  Revell.

Nick