Sign in to follow this  
Astro32

Atlanta, Georgia

Greetings all!

Been quite awhile since I posted. Been insanely busy; I've started my own electronics service business last year, and while it's been slow, I secured a short-term contract with an electronics manufacturer this last February. When the contract ended July 1st, they asked me to stay on permanently. I can't go into what I'm doing, but it's challenging work and I've already helped them solve some engineering issues and that's got their attention, so I'm being fast-tracked for promotion, which may include me relocating to Atlanta, Georgia. Are there any LSP members down that way, or nearby, at least? Ironically as many of you know, I've been looking into the southern & southeastern states for several years, and now I may finally get my chance! So if anyone here has local knowledge, advice, and LHS info would be immensely appreciated. If I can slow the pace down from 12 - 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, I may actually have time to start building again!

Sincerest thanks in advance,

Ross

There are many builders in the Atlanta area and many of them were in Chattanooga this past week for the IPMS nationals.  Furthermore, many of them post on here.  I am not one of them.  I live in the Chattanooga area, but I used to go down there quite a bit and visit with those guys at a local hobby shop (AAA Hobbies) that has been closed now for approximately 3 years.  The best way to connect up with those guys would be to do it through the Atlanta IPMS chapter, which is a very active chapter.

Just now, esarmstrong said:

The best way to connect up with those guys would be to do it through the Atlanta IPMS chapter, which is a very active chapter.

Great idea! Thanks.

There are some really talented modelers here in the Atlanta area and several focus on LSP's. Some of them frequent the forums, but don't post. Let us know when you do move here.

Posted (edited)

Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw is where I go for model supplies and some kits.

Burt and Kevin are always there on the job and are model enthusiasts themselves.  Don't personally know of any other decent hobby shops in Atlanta anymore..

Edited by KUROK

Thanks folks for the feedback. Much appreciated! I've been to Charlotte, NC and really enjoyed the time spent there. I wonder how Atlanta, and Georgia in general, compares? Probably hotter and more humid I'd bet!

Thanks again for the advice folks!

Newest wrinkle is that the company I'm working for is seriously considering re-opening a facility in New Orleans. They pulled out a few years ago when the economy was still bad, but they're looking at going back. And they'd like me to run the operation. They've given me first crack at it if they decide to go for it. Anyone in Louisiana?  :lol: