Making a travel kit for modeling

Hardcore

Elaborate more on your situation...

Are you you flying or driving?

Are you staying in Hotels or with Acquaintances? 

Are you building small or large models?

Are you just building small assemblies or do you expect to finish a model completely?

How much space in your luggage do you have to devote to you supplies?

these are all things you will have to consider. 

Some examples are, if driving, you could bring a small compressor and airbrush. If you are flying, you will have to be careful about flammable liquids and make sure they smaller than allowed. You will really have to consider a lot of these things.

I carried a tackle box full of tools and supplies on 3 deployments in the Army. It worked out great, but I would guess your travel situation is a lot different. (Two of the deployments were to foreign countries with no access to hobby shops)

I used a Plano 6-tray box. Plenty of small compartments for small tools and supplies. The top trays have long compartments ideal for paint brushes and X-Acto knives, etc. The bottom could hold a 1/48 single engine fighter or 1/24 car plus a few other things like Evergreen strip stock and a few items too big for the folding trays. Not sure how well it would work for a 1/32 aircraft.  If the kit can be carried separately, a big tackle box is ideal. That Plano with 3 fold out trays per side is as big as it gets for current production boxes, AFAIK.

If you really like the idea of a tackle box and want to just go nuts, look for an old “Possum Belly” box made by Umco. Long out of production, but they can still be found. They had 4 fold out trays per side, a deep compartment at the bottom, and a detachable foam lined ice chest below that. Probably impractical, and there’s always the chance it could come with that weird used tackle box smell.  

Edited by Lee in Texas

Hi There, another thing to consider when traveling by air is think about what you pack. I usually take a small box with a couple of files, a knife with spare blades, a pin vice with drills (specific drills if I know what I need otherwise a selection and some roaches), some emery/sand paper, a 6in metal rule and small pliers and sprue snippers. If working with metal or electrics I'll throw in a soldering iron and solder. Finally, the kit pieces I'm intending to work on of course.

The challenge is when travelling through the US and carrying tools. You can almost guarantee to have your bags opened and searched,. It's been every time over the last 10 years for me so far but never had any issues with this. They will take a look and so far everything has been put back where it was. However, I've learnt to put the tool "box" near the top of my bag to minimise disturbance and make it easier for the security folk. Never had any issue in the UK/Europe either but it's been about five years since I traveled there so not sure what the story there is now.  

Regards Brent

Light!  Most places you go will have abysmal lighting.  So. first you need a flexible lamp with a powerful bulb(s).  Then you need plug adapters for your chosen country....  if you're going to a different country.

You also need a hard shelled case.  I can't state this enough.   You don't want your stuff crushed, broken, or squeezed out of it's tube because you packed it in a duffle bag.

Happy journey!

Make sure it all goes into the hold and not in hand baggage, I was doing a modelmaking job in Spain and forgot I had a screwdriver on me that they took away from on the way back at Zaragoza, it was a real pain as actually it was a prototype to measure off for some big massive screwdrivers that I made to go on the top of vans.

Graham 

2 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Make sure it all goes into the hold and not in hand baggage, I was doing a modelmaking job in Spain and forgot I had a screwdriver on me that they took away from on the way back at Zaragoza, it was a real pain as actually it was a prototype to measure off for some big massive screwdrivers that I made to go on the top of vans.

Good idea Graham. I didnt think about that, but there are a lot of modeling tools the airlines would really frown on taking on carry on, and as you said, would for sure take them away. 

One thing I always wonder about that is what kit do you guys take along the tools ok I get that and I can get a relative small set on the go but where and how to store your work and what type of work would you do on the road?

Love to hear from you guys....interesting topic this...

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs