Best kit for F-14D and F-4S

USMC Herc

On 8/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, USMC Herc said:

I am a Marine that loves naval/Marine aircraft. I also collect Patches

.I received a patch for the VF-31Tomcaters. It is the retirement patch for the last f-14D Launch and recovery on July 28,2006.

I am a long time Phantom lover. I would like to build the F-4S for squadron VMFA-531.A Marine Squadron with awesome markings, .

I want to build this kit and put the patch on the bases.

What would be the best kits in 1/32?

Jason

Jason,

You with 252? 

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Jason,

You with 252? 

Staff Sgt,

I served at 252 from 94-98 I worked in Powerline shop. I was with LM from 2002-2010 I helped deliver all 45 Kc-130Js to all three active duty Squadrons.

Staff Sgt me and you are friends on FB and have talked over messenger. 

Want to do a little trading sir?

Jason

KCexSBR.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, ghatherly said:

Lets look at what is available:

F-4:  Would love to see new plastic, but not any time soon.   Zoukei Mura will eventually do them but not until the 1/48 line is done, which will be a while as they get trough the Recce's, Long nose, and F-4B's.   

• Revell makes two kinds of Phantoms.  The very old F-4J/E kit with raised panel lines that was new 40-50 years ago.   There is also an RF-4B in this plastic.   Some 20 years ago Revell came out with a new kitting of the Airforce F-4E's in what has become known as the new tool kits, though some 20+ years old.   The reveal is offered in many boxings in F-4F, F-4E, with decals and themes being the only difference.  IT has issues that need tube fixed that are discussed in other threads.   The same basic kit was also expanded into RF-4C and E kits and in the last couple of years two F-4G boxings.   They build into nice kits but for many modelers have have shape issues and errors.   All of which can be fixed by the aftermarket.   All of the E's and F's are with the slat wings only.
  • Tamiya, Makes thee basic kits.  An F-C/D kit, 3 versions of the F-4J kit, and two versions of the F-4E with the hard wing USAF and F-4EJ Japanese version those offerings.    

Hope this helps,

Gary

I was looking at building a RF-4C and wondered if I should get the Tamiya F-4C/D and convert to the RF-4C of just get the Revell RF-4C?  Which kit would make the best RF-4C?

Greg

38 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

For close to the price of the Avionix conversion you can get a second hand Revell RF-4 that may be used to convert the Tamiya kit. 

Are you talking the nose from the old Revell RF-4B or the newer RF-4C?  I have seen a resin RF-4E nose, but not sure if anyone makes on for the RF-4C?

On 8/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, ghatherly said:

Lets look at what is available:

F-14:

• Revell makes a F-14A kit that if built with care make into a Nice model.   IF nothing else it is very inexpensive to try before tackling the Tamiya or Trumpeter kits.
  • Tamiya makes an F-14A in with two updates over the years.  The latest changed the forward fuselage updating the gun venting and making recessed details.  Dimensionally it is the most accurate shaped kit of the three.  With Aires cockpit and engines you can make a real nice build without reworking the raised panel lines on the rest of the kit.  Keep in mind it is 45 years old.
  • Trumpeter offers all three versions, a A, B, D.   IT is very nice but has some dimensional errors, particular in the intakes and exhausts.   IT is the most expensive of the three brands and really needs extensive modification of the intakes or purchase of the the Zactomodel intake set ( gorgeous set and worth every penny, but another $70 + shipping on an already $150+ KIT.

F-4:  Would love to see new plastic, but not any time soon.   Zoukei Mura will eventually do them but not until the 1/48 line is done, which will be a while as they get trough the Recce's, Long nose, and F-4B's.   

• Revell makes two kinds of Phantoms.  The very old F-4J/E kit with raised panel lines that was new 40-50 years ago.   There is also an RF-4B in this plastic.   Some 20 years ago Revell came out with a new kitting of the Airforce F-4E's in what has become known as the new tool kits, though some 20+ years old.   The reveal is offered in many boxings in F-4F, F-4E, with decals and themes being the only difference.  IT has issues that need tube fixed that are discussed in other threads.   The same basic kit was also expanded into RF-4C and E kits and in the last couple of years two F-4G boxings.   They build into nice kits but for many modelers have have shape issues and errors.   All of which can be fixed by the aftermarket.   All of the E's and F's are with the slat wings only.
  • Tamiya, Makes thee basic kits.  An F-C/D kit, 3 versions of the F-4J kit, and two versions of the F-4E with the hard wing USAF and F-4EJ Japanese version those offerings.    

F-4B:  All of the J kits can be back dated into any B/N version, or moved forward into and S.  Conversion kits are available from the aftermarket to build any era B/N or the S.   The big changes for the B?N are the cockpit, thin wing, wheels, Engines, Tail fin caps and Chine pods.   With the changes over the long life of the B/N's you can find just about any combination of fin caps, ECM nodes, and chine pods and lots of decals.  Cutting edge and CAM are old sets made 10-20 years ago if you can find them.  Our GT Resin set is complete with the cockpit, engines, and averting you need to build an airframe you choose.  

F-4S:  Requires some changes but not as involved.  The main changes to the "S" are exterior on nature.  They have slatted wings, a belly strap and strengthening plates, relocated AC vents for the new radar, and two new antennas.   These were built to operate off of the Midway class carriers as the F-14 was too heavy to operate of of those ships and the F/A-18 was not ready yet.   GT Resin offers a complete set with all of the changes including the wings, straps, plates, and antennas.  Wingman models offers a basic set that contains the Slatted outer wings and new antennas.  Aires offers a cockpit that can be used as a J or an S build.

Hope this helps,

Gary

I don't know if I understood correctly ... in a nutshell ..., Zoukei Mura has planned in the future a F4 Phantom at 1:32 scale?

34 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Are you talking the nose from the old Revell RF-4B or the newer RF-4C?  I have seen a resin RF-4E nose, but not sure if anyone makes on for the RF-4C?

There were two RF-4 noses, but it wasn’t really a difference between RF-4 versions.  There was the early style “flat” nose and the later “rounded” nose.  B,C, or E they all could be seen with either nose.   The BB/Avionix RF conversion nose for the Tamiya kit was the flat nose.  To my knowledge, no one has made a RF rounded nose in 1/32 scale, in either kit or conversion, so you’re pretty much stuck with the flat nose unless you want to scratchbuild.

The only real question is whether you want to just get Revell RF-4C/E kit (the newer tool one), which is cheaper and still relatively available, but has all of the issues associated with the Revell F-4 kits, or convert the more expensive, but better, Tamiya kit using the harder to find old BB/Avionix resin conversion.

4 minutes ago, Mel said:

I don't know if I understood correctly ... in a nutshell ..., Zoukei Mura has planned in the future a F4 Phantom at 1:32 scale?

I haven’t heard anything definitive on a 1/32 Z-M F-4.  They do them in 1/48, though.  The only new announced, but not yet released, 1/32 F-4 that I’m aware of is the HKM British Phantom F-4K/FG.1.

1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

I haven’t heard anything definitive on a 1/32 Z-M F-4.  They do them in 1/48, though.  The only new announced, but not yet released, 1/32 F-4 that I’m aware of is the HKM British Phantom F-4K/FG.1.

interesting, because the F-4 of zoukei mura at 1:48 scale is an excellent kit and I would dare to say that it is the best phantom at that scale, in the case of KHM something I heard, for me it is a surprise the truth

21 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

There were two RF-4 noses, but it wasn’t really a difference between RF-4 versions.  There was the early style “flat” nose and the later “rounded” nose.  B,C, or E they all could be seen with either nose.   The BB/Avionix RF conversion nose for the Tamiya kit was the flat nose.  To my knowledge, no one has made a RF rounded nose in 1/32 scale, in either kit or conversion, so you’re pretty much stuck with the flat nose unless you want to scratchbuild.

The only real question is whether you want to just get Revell RF-4C/E kit (the newer tool one), which is cheaper and still relatively available, but has all of the issues associated with the Revell F-4 kits, or convert the more expensive, but better, Tamiya kit using the harder to find old BB/Avionix resin conversion.

I assume that the RF-4C would be a hard wing Phantom of which the Tamiya has correct?  The Revell F-4's are all slatted wings as far as I know.  So if I go with the Revell I would need the hard wing conversion and the rest?

As Dave hinted the Revell RF-4C and E kits have exactly the same nose parts. As the Avionix nose is just a reworked copy of the Revell part, it is possible to put the front section of a Revell RF-4 (up to the canopy windshield) on the Tamiya C fuselage with a little bit of work. The only limitation is indeed to choose an airframe with the angled rather than round camera fairing under the nose. That solution offers additional benefits such as pylons, high-G drop tank and possibly RF-4C decals if you find a RF-4C  box. You will also get the recco front IP fairing as well as typical front IPs for the two stations. One problem that you will have to solve in all options is the removal of the rear Sparrow wells. 

3 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

I assume that the RF-4C would be a hard wing Phantom of which the Tamiya has correct?  The Revell F-4's are all slatted wings as far as I know.  So if I go with the Revell I would need the hard wing conversion and the rest?

If you get the Revell RF-4C or RF-4E kits, they will come with the hard wing.  Their F-4E and F-4G boxings are slatted wing.

Edited by Dave Williams