Best kit for F-14D and F-4S

USMC Herc

I am a Marine that loves naval/Marine aircraft. I also collect Patches

.I received a patch for the VF-31Tomcaters. It is the retirement patch for the last f-14D Launch and recovery on July 28,2006.

I am a long time Phantom lover. I would like to build the F-4S for squadron VMFA-531.A Marine Squadron with awesome markings, .

I want to build this kit and put the patch on the bases.

What would be the best kits in 1/32?

Jason

There is only one 1/32 F-14D kit, made by Trumpeter.  It needs some corrections, like the intakes and forward Phoenix pallet bulges (fixes available for both from Zactomodels), and the wing sweep bladders are nasty vinyl.  The other realistic option, the Tamiya kit has a decal cockpit and requires conversion work, since it’s only an A model.

There is no 1/32 F-4S.  Your option is pretty much limited to the Tamiya F-4J with the GT resin -S conversion.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

BOY do we need a new 1/32 F-4 family.  F-4B (or even an F4H-1/F-4A in my fantasy) right up through the E, F, G, J, and S in 1/32.  

Id be happy if one quality manufacturer kicked off in 1965 and went the whole way through to 1985.

Done with solid shape and dimension where you dont need correct size burners, canopies, spine replacements.

Start with

F-105D, F-105F/G, F-106, F-4B!, F-4C/D, F-4E Early/Late, F-111A/E/F, F-111C(FB)F-4G, F-4J, F-4S, F-15A/C, F-14A,F-14B/D.

Am i asking a bit much??

On 8/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, USMC Herc said:

I am a Marine that loves naval/Marine aircraft. I also collect Patches

.I received a patch for the VF-31Tomcaters. It is the retirement patch for the last f-14D Launch and recovery on July 28,2006.

I am a long time Phantom lover. I would like to build the F-4S for squadron VMFA-531.A Marine Squadron with awesome markings, .

I want to build this kit and put the patch on the bases.

What would be the best kits in 1/32?

Jason

Not 1/32, but you should have a look at the new Tamiya F-14s in 1/48.

Unless 1/48 just won't do, of course.

Looks like the F-4 is best from Tamiya as a F-4 J with resin to convert an N or S. ( i forgot the S is mainly an avionics upgrade from an N.)

Best option for F-14 is a Tamiya A model converted to a D with resin.

Then the other part I didn't think about is decals ( I am a dumb ass for not realizing this first. :blowup:)

Jason

6 minutes ago, USMC Herc said:

Looks like the F-4 is best from Tamiya as a F-4 J with resin to convert an N or S. ( i forgot the S is mainly an avionics upgrade from an N.)

Then the other part I didn't think about is decals ( I am a dumb ass for not realizing this first. :blowup:)

Jason

The F4s is buildable from the box nothing other requiredthen new outer wing part cockpit and exhausts. The N is a whole different story all together...thing wing new tires etc etc...

As for the F14 I'd still go with trumpeter for a D as the tamiya conversion is no picknick either...but that's just my 0.02

Cheers
Frederick Jacobs

On 11 August 2019 at 2:51 AM, Darren Howie said:

Id be happy if one quality manufacturer kicked off in 1965 and went the whole way through to 1985.

Done with solid shape and dimension where you dont need correct size burners, canopies, spine replacements.

Start with

F-105D, F-105F/G, F-106, F-4B, F-4C/D, F-4E Early/Late, F-111A/E/F, F-111C(FB)F-4G, F-4J, F-4S, F-15A/C, F-14A,F-14B/D.

Am i asking a bit much??

Yeah, inserting the Buccaneer, Sea Vixen, a new tool E E Lightning, Draken, Su-7, Su-15, MiG-21PF, Jaguar and Sea Harrier into the 65-85 era. 

But we do desperately need a new 1/32 Phantom II series, starting with a seriously accurate RF-4C/E and F-4B — Hong Kong Models giving us the F-4K/M fairly soon (yippee!) 

Agree with all the previous comments re: F-14D and F-4S. Just fish first for the decals, to make sure that bit is sorted.

Tony 

1 hour ago, USMC Herc said:

Jason

The N was an avionics upgrade from the B.  The S is a basically a slatted wing J.  The B/N also differs from the J/S in that it had narrow tires and a thin wing without the bulges, both top and bottom, so there is a bit more work in converting the Tamiya J to a B/N.

Lets look at what is available:

F-14:

• Revell makes a F-14A kit that if built with care make into a Nice model.   IF nothing else it is very inexpensive to try before tackling the Tamiya or Trumpeter kits.
  • Tamiya makes an F-14A in with two updates over the years.  The latest changed the forward fuselage updating the gun venting and making recessed details.  Dimensionally it is the most accurate shaped kit of the three.  With Aires cockpit and engines you can make a real nice build without reworking the raised panel lines on the rest of the kit.  Keep in mind it is 45 years old.
  • Trumpeter offers all three versions, a A, B, D.   IT is very nice but has some dimensional errors, particular in the intakes and exhausts.   IT is the most expensive of the three brands and really needs extensive modification of the intakes or purchase of the the Zactomodel intake set ( gorgeous set and worth every penny, but another $70 + shipping on an already $150+ KIT.

F-4:  Would love to see new plastic, but not any time soon.   Zoukei Mura will eventually do them but not until the 1/48 line is done, which will be a while as they get trough the Recce's, Long nose, and F-4B's.   

• Revell makes two kinds of Phantoms.  The very old F-4J/E kit with raised panel lines that was new 40-50 years ago.   There is also an RF-4B in this plastic.   Some 20 years ago Revell came out with a new kitting of the Airforce F-4E's in what has become known as the new tool kits, though some 20+ years old.   The reveal is offered in many boxings in F-4F, F-4E, with decals and themes being the only difference.  IT has issues that need tube fixed that are discussed in other threads.   The same basic kit was also expanded into RF-4C and E kits and in the last couple of years two F-4G boxings.   They build into nice kits but for many modelers have have shape issues and errors.   All of which can be fixed by the aftermarket.   All of the E's and F's are with the slat wings only.
  • Tamiya, Makes thee basic kits.  An F-C/D kit, 3 versions of the F-4J kit, and two versions of the F-4E with the hard wing USAF and F-4EJ Japanese version those offerings.    

F-4B:  All of the J kits can be back dated into any B/N version, or moved forward into and S.  Conversion kits are available from the aftermarket to build any era B/N or the S.   The big changes for the B?N are the cockpit, thin wing, wheels, Engines, Tail fin caps and Chine pods.   With the changes over the long life of the B/N's you can find just about any combination of fin caps, ECM nodes, and chine pods and lots of decals.  Cutting edge and CAM are old sets made 10-20 years ago if you can find them.  Our GT Resin set is complete with the cockpit, engines, and averting you need to build an airframe you choose.  

F-4S:  Requires some changes but not as involved.  The main changes to the "S" are exterior on nature.  They have slatted wings, a belly strap and strengthening plates, relocated AC vents for the new radar, and two new antennas.   These were built to operate off of the Midway class carriers as the F-14 was too heavy to operate of of those ships and the F/A-18 was not ready yet.   GT Resin offers a complete set with all of the changes including the wings, straps, plates, and antennas.  Wingman models offers a basic set that contains the Slatted outer wings and new antennas.  Aires offers a cockpit that can be used as a J or an S build.

Hope this helps,

Gary

thanks for the information, Gary most of this went over my head :shrug:

Try to see if I got this right......

Trumpeter 03203 F-14D should be my best bet. Cockpit would be closed.  Resin: Exhaust upgrades......and/or??

Tamiya 1/32 McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II

For making a N or S.. Cockpit closed.  Resin:  intakes.....and/or???

Hope I understood everything correctly.

Jason

If your still wanting to do VMFA-531 your only choice is a B or N they didn't fly the S. I have GT Resins B/N conversion for the Tamiya kit and it's totally worth the cost.

I'm building mine with CAM decals  with NK tail codes and all over light gull grey.

Don

10 hours ago, USMC Herc said:

thanks for the information, Gary most of this went over my head :shrug:

Try to see if I got this right......

Trumpeter 03203 F-14D should be my best bet. Cockpit would be closed.  Resin: Exhaust upgrades......and/or??

Tamiya 1/32 McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II

For making a N or S.. Cockpit closed.  Resin:  intakes.....and/or???

Hope I understood everything correctly.

Jason

cockpit closed then no need to install resin pit maybe just a nex front Ip coaming and call it a day when the crew is in there nothing much can be seen in there anyway 
intakes are a must on both builds as with crew inside no point in adding fod covers...

for the F-14 I would definately get the intakes and the nozzles from aires they are both worth the money and add lots of detail...the pit is up to you but IMHO not worth forking out 40 bucks to cover it all up with canopy rails and crew..but that's just my 0.02

Same applies for the F-4

But you be better off searching for decals first as I found out a lot of times that that is the most limiting factor in what you end up building

Cheers 
Frederick Jacobs

If you choose to go the Trumpeter route for your F-14 and don't have an issue spending the extra cash on the necessary aftermarket stuff, then I might also suggest to add the new bulges from Chris for the horrid Phoenix pallets. They are just as the intakes an absolute must for the Trumpet.

BTW: you mentioned that you received a special patch for the last F-14 trap and launch on July 28, 2006.

Never seen that one. Any chance you could post a photo of that patch? I would be very curious.

I only ever saw the patches done for the flyout on Sep. 22, 06 and the final touch down on Oct. 4, 06.

Regarding the right decals:

Try to find a set of 1/32 Fightertown VF-31 decals. A few years ago Brian did a nice set specifically covering VF-31s last operational jets including the last trap and launch jets, i.e. 164346 / AJ-110 final trap and 164341 / AJ-112 final launch etc. The set has long sold out but you might just find it somewhere over evilbay etc.? I think this would be just what you need.