1/32 Eduard/ Alley Cat Messerschmitt Bf 109B Condor Legion

monthebiff

2 hours ago, reserve_22 said:

Hi Instrument panel never was in Rlm02

L.Dv.521/1938 say cockpit in Rlm02(gliders-silver) and Instrument panel Rlm66.Only early Bf109fighters (Spain civil war) could have isntrument panel in Rlm41. Rlm41 and 66 are dark color.

I know its too late but for others ;-)

Thank you so much for your input reserve-22, not sure where your quote is from but very helpful. However, something may say  such and such is only painted in a certain colour but I have a some lovely pictures of early 109s which I used to replicate the instrument panel on my build and it definitely matches the rest of the cockpit colours which are RLM 02. I have spent many hours on getting the early cockpit right and I'm equally very confident with my colours.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Nice to see this progressing, and back to basics modelling skills being employed, you should rightly be chuffed to see it "on the mend"

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, it took a while to work it exactly was the problem and very happy to sort it and a major step forward.  If I remember rightly LSP Ron had a build thread of the same conversation well before my thread and had exactly the same issues but sadly it landed in the bin.

Regards. Andy 

18 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Thank you so much for your input reserve-22, not sure where your quote is from but very helpful. However, something may say such and such is only painted in a certain colour but I have a some lovely pictures of the very early 109s which I used to replicate the instrument panel on my build and it definitely matches the rest of the cockpit colours which are RLM 02. I have spent many hours on getting the cockpit details right and I'm equally very confident with my colours I chose.

Regards. Andy 

Good show.  Glad you sorted out the problem.

''Luftwaffe Camouflage and Marknings 1935-1945 vol. 1 K.A.Merrick page 207 Instrument panes from 1936 Rlm66'

The man said he's got it.  Don't be pushy.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the week with filling and sanding session's and think I'm there now in readiness to add final parts and then a full primer coat.

20220205-171732.jpg

20220205-171743.jpg

Very happy with progress considering I was fully expecting a one way trip to the bin when I pulled it off the SOD again.

Regards. Andy 

Last bits fitted before priming, slats fitted but leaving flaps off until painted. Decided to go for a field retro fitted prop over the original wooden factory fit.

20220206-144457.jpg

Oil cooler and radiator flap fitted.

20220206-144617.jpg

Now off to the paint shop.

Regards. Andy 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, reserve_22 said:

Hi Instrument panel never was in Rlm02

L.Dv.521/1938 say cockpit in Rlm02(gliders-silver) and Instrument panel Rlm66.Only early Bf109fighters (Spain civil war) could have isntrument panel in Rlm41. Rlm41 and 66 are dark color.

I know its too late but for others ;-)

Yes, 41 and 66 are quite similar dark grays.

IVSGWIH.jpg

w6I3fGY.jpg

Early in the war, color and marking specs weren't always established.

Not quite made it to the paintshop yet, didn't much like the difference in rivet detail between the kit parts and Alley Cat resin so decided to get the Mr Dissolved putty out and go rivetless instead

20220213-220403.jpg

20220213-220418.jpg

A fair bit to do but think it will be an overall better look when finished 

Regards. Andy 

Looks great so far - glad it didn't hit the bin !

I have done two alleycat 109 conversions - a B and a D - and I gotta say they are the best conversions I've ever tried. Jokingly I say that it's easier to mount the alleycat nose than doing Eduards own.

Doing a P-38 J to EFG right now - yuk !!

I think you're confusing shadows (light reflections)  with color differences.

The IP and the 2 surfaces you indicated are all 3 different. Compared to

the black instrument bezels, they're definitely not 66.

Documents were not always followed , especially pre- hostilities.

Edited by MikeMaben

Not something I would normally do but Reserve-22 do not use my thread to have a go at Mike who is one of the most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable members on this forum and has been so for many years and equally an excellent modeller who's builds are always a pleasure to follow! 

You seem very very obsessed with RLM colours and very happy to point this out to anyone who has it wrong in your eyes!

So until I see your amazing build threads popping up and of course in perfectly matched RLM colours please do not comment or use my build threads to preach to others. :D

Regards. Andy