Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Not your father's P-61...

Jennings.  I have a place in Palm Springs not to far from you.

Every corner of my garage door has a black widow ready to ambush any cricket that wants to sneak into my garage and eat my golf bag.   I also have a nice storage door under the BBQ pit in my back yard that reminds me who is boss outside in my back yard.  Seriously, You kill one and another one will be there in a month.   Just take note.  I have witness dead scorpions ambushed by the B-widows in my garage.  Never have I witnessed one inside.  You kill one and there will be another one to replace it soon after.  Trust me.   

I have post it notes in the corners named after my sisters kids notifying anyone that is in my house,  here there is a black widow here!   I rent out my house for Coachella every year and let the peeps know.  I have a couple B-widow spiders in the corner of my garage door and please leave them alone.  No harm no foul.   

Trust me.  They won’t bother you.  

Trex. 

No Widows here, but my house was always alive with Brown Recluse spiders. Never got bit even once, though I did have a few "close encounters" over the years.

Reminds me of crocodile Dundee,

“I’m not sayin your black widow spider isn’t dangerous..... but a Sydney funnel web spider can kill a man in ten seconds.... just by lookin at ‘im” 

I’ll keep my snow and single engine mosquitos as well, thank you

an arachnophobic 

1 hour ago, chrish said:

single engine mosquitos as well, thank you

an arachnophobic 

Seen them, N number and all.

2 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

When I lived briefly in Roanoke, Virginia a few years ago, my basement was *full* of black widows.  And I still had to shovel snow.  

That’s just not fair on any level!

not both at the same time though right?

at least with a shovel I’d have a weapon.....

Posted (edited)

We find the occasional black widow in our garage in North Carolina.  They seem to like it there.  Since we have kids, the usual removal method involves a vacuum with a long hose attachment. 

My wife and kids are of Scottish descent.  We haven't yet tried scaring the spiders away with bagpipes, but maybe we will.  If that works, Scotland, you are safe.  The spiders do not survive a shellelagh attack.  Ireland, you are safe.

We're not sure what they feed on in the garage.  We can say with certainty that our entire stock of Aquavit and lutefisk goes missing just before we find a BW spider.  Perhaps there is a connection.  If so, Scandinavia, be warned, you are not safe. 

We also notice a complete absence of Sydney funnel spiders and salt water crocodiles in the garage whenever the black widows are around.  Our pet emu isn't bothered by them but the ostrich doesn't like them.  After a vacuum removal, our pet kiwi dances a haka and that seems to keep them away for a while.  Nothing cuter than a kiwi bird shouting "Kama Te".  New Zealand, you may be safe.  Just may.  If the haka doesn't work, no worries, just borrow Sting from Frodo (Peter Jackson should know where to find it).  Samwise used Sting to good affect on a big spider.  Good work, Sam.

Edited by Model_Monkey