Radub

WNW 1/32 Dr 1 Triplane

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Show anyone who has no interest in history, military history, WWI, or airplanes a photograph of a Fokker DR.I and they will probably be able to identify it, in some manner.

No chance they can do that with any other aircraft of that time period.

That's the big deal with the Fokker Dreidecker Eins! 

It's an absolute legend and totally iconic.

And it also happens to be a damned fine looking aircraft, as others have noted above!

But therein lies the problem. Name any other aircraft that the public might recognise - Spitfire, Mustang, B-17, DC-3, 747, Concorde - and they are iconic because they were successful. If MvR had died in a Fokker D.VII - or indeed survived the war - the Dr.I would be nothing more than an aviation footnote, like the Fokker D.VIII or Halberstadt D.II that, today, no-one would be able to identify outside of WWI aviation enthusiasts. It was a technological dead-end - slow, outdated and outclassed as soon as it began to arrive at the Front in numbers. It wasn't liked by the majority of German pilots who flew it, and wasn't feared by British pilots who opposed it. It was built in small numbers and was at the Front for a few short months before being consigned to history. It wasn't even that well known by the general public during the Great War, and only really came to prominence in the 1930's when a renewed interest in WWI was sparked by the re-publication of 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' in a Germany desperate to regain the glory days of old. It isn't even that good looking, especially when you compare it to a Pfalz D.III for example.

The only reason the Dr.I is considered iconic is because MvR died in one. In aviation history no other aircraft has accumulated so much fame whilst achieving so little. 

Edited by vince14

Since my plea to stay on topic with this one has gone unheeded, and since several people were getting a bit hot-headed about things, I've reluctantly had to give this thread a drastic prune. Not every pruned post was transgressive, but in order to maintain the flow and relevance of this topic, they all had to go. I'm seriously disappointed and concerned about the way a simple kit announcement thread has gone so badly off the rails here, and it gives staff serious pause for thought.

If you wish to discuss any of this, please do it with one of the mods via PM, and keep it out of this thread.

What about those Wingnut Wings triplanes, eh?

Kev

23 hours ago, Radub said:

If you are around Chattanooga, today (Thursday) at 7 PM Richard Alexander is going to be at an informal get-together in the restaurant/bar of the Marriott hotel. It will be fun, you have to be there. 

Radu

Some drinks were had and many laughs were shared in good company. As a bit of "breaking news" I can confirm that indeed Richard is a registered member of LSP. :-)

Radu

41 minutes ago, Radub said:

Some drinks were had and many laughs were shared in good company. As a bit of "breaking news" I can confirm that indeed Richard is a registered member of LSP. :-)

Radu

I bet it was fun Radu! Our dinner last year with Richard was one I'll not soon forget.....

Did Richard go put again after getti g done with dinner this time? :lol:

Fun guy, and I'm sure this dinner was just as much fun!

The Werner Voss story is enough to sell me on the Dr. 1. It's not just about the airplane for me, it's about the men who had the courage to go up in these old crates and fight for their country. It's also the attempts to make a better machine. Heck, even in 1918 flight was a new science. 

12 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

The Werner Voss story is enough to sell me on the Dr. 1. It's not just about the airplane for me, it's about the men who had the courage to go up in these old crates and fight for their country.

Yep, that "Dogfights" series about that encounter between Voss, McCudden and 56 Sqd, sold me on the DR.1 for SURE.

Hmm, for all the hubbub, I'm wondering if (when its available) you put one of these down next to a well built Encore Dr.I, if anyone would be able to tell one from the other. It should be...interesting!

5 hours ago, coogrfan said:

Popular subject, tremendous variety of colorful schemes to choose from, and virtually no rigging?  Count me in. B)

Agreed. The more or less total absence of a lot of mind numbing rigging, is a big draw for me, that's for sure. Plus I just think the aircraft is beautiful.

2 hours ago, eoyguy said:

Hmm, for all the hubbub, I'm wondering if (when its available) you put one of these down next to a well built Encore Dr.I, if anyone would be able to tell one from the other. It should be...interesting!

For me, I just really wanted a great Dr.I kit (WNW), not just an OK Dr.I kit (Roden/Encore). To me, it's no different than all the existing Bf 109 kits to choose from, but a new Tamiya kit would most certainly be on the "must get" list for most of those already holding large stashes of the other brands.

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

For me, I just really wanted a great Dr.I kit (WNW), not just an OK Dr.I kit (Roden/Encore). 

Agreed. Ive build the Encore offering, and as I recall (for a customer) it was not an impossible build by any means, but it was not a "great" kit either. Thankfully for the simplistic nature (VS other WWI aircraft) of it, the kit was not a huge issue to build, but its a looooooong ways away from a great kit,  and does need some upgrades IMHO  to get it fully accurate.