WNW 1/32 Dr 1 Triplane

Radub

As mentioned if and when they put out a SPAD there will be multiple boxings/nationalities represented. A Breguet, if it happens, will have French and US markings. 

Maybe we will get a Hanriot HD 1 as a Christmas surprise?

Side shows like the Adriatic and Turkish campaigns should also get covered at some sage. The flying boats are something I’m hoping for.

If after another 5-10 years there are only British and German planes  coming out then yeh, you could draw some conclusions from that. But as we have seen things change. We now have Camels, a Lanc. and a Tripe...:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Yeah but there is a big difference in appearance between brush marks on the real thing and brush marks on a 32nd scale model.  Personally, I'd be hard pressed to hand paint this without leaving brushmarks that would be a scale 2" tall.

That's why oils with a retarder/thinner are used, the oil paint smooths out incredibly well.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

So, if one is doing that all-red Fokker of MVR, doesn't the streaky green have to be under the red, but visible?

Not necessarily. Some may choose to go flat out red (scarlet), while others may opt for the Fokker streaked finish to show through. It seems like the remnants that still existed after the war, showed no streaking from below the red (scarlet).

38 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Not necessarily. Some may choose to go flat out red (scarlet), while others may opt for the Fokker streaked finish to show through. It seems like the remnants that still existed after the war, showed no streaking from below the red (scarlet).

I know he had more than one.  The one he was killed in was all-red with late war crosses.   I'm not sure if the F.1 was all red, or how many Dr. I's he actually flew.  I much prefer the earlier crosses to the later types.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I know he had more than one.  The one he was killed in was all-red with late war crosses.   I'm not sure if the F.1 was all red, or how many Dr. I's he actually flew.  I much prefer the earlier crosses to the later types.

Fokker Dr.I.com can probably answer the question of how many triplanes he flew. There were at least three, as I recall.

8 hours ago, John1 said:

How do you pant this camo?   I would think it would have to be done by hand which (at least in my case) would lead to brush marks.  

Aviatic has decals for this scheme that looks pretty good in their Voss special. I have also seen a build article (don't remember where) of a streaked camo where they did some of the streaking via airbrush and then adjusted it via brush. It allowed the builder to get the angles right then the brush work gave it that, well, brushed on look. Was quite effective.

15 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Aviatic has decals for this scheme that looks pretty good in their Voss special. I have also seen a build article (don't remember where) of a streaked camo where they did some of the streaking via airbrush and then adjusted it via brush. It allowed the builder to get the angles right then the brush work gave it that, well, brushed on look. Was quite effective.

I also recall at least one instance of a modeler using both brown and green streaks (for whatever reason), and it looked "interesting", but certainly odd too.

Hoping to put this sub-thread to rest, MVR flew at least seven F.I/Dr.I:

F.I 102/17 September 1917 - Factory finish of Olive streaks over all upper sufaces and fuselage sides; "Fokker blue" base coat.

Dr.I 127/17 Mid-March 1918 - Red cowling, struts and wheel disks.  Olive streaked upper surfaces and fuselage sides over clear-doped linen (CDL.)  Light blue undersurfaces.

Dr.I 152/17 March 1918 - Red cowling, struts, rear fuselage and tailplane, top of upper wing and wheel disks.  Otherwise as 127/17.

Dr.I 161/17 March 1918 - Red cowling, struts, tailplane, top of upper wing and wheel disks.  Otherwise as 127/17.

Dr.I 405/17 January 1918 - Red wheel disks.  Otherwise as 127/17.

Dr.I 425/17 March/April 1918 - Red overall.

The above all had the earlier curved arm cross (Cross Pattee.)  425/17 was updated with the straight arm cross (Balkenkreuz) in late March/early April shortly before Richtofen's death.

Dr.I 477/17 Early April 1918 - same scheme as 161/17 with Balkenkreuz as 425/17.

Source:  Research by R. Seissler in producing 60+ 1/33 scale card models from c 2006-2013  at www.paperwarbirds.net (now inactive.)

Edited by OldTroll
Addition of dates

Whoa, now that is cool !!

And Model Cellar has the ultimate 1/32 Voss figure to compliment it.  Sculpted by Mike Good, the pose, the anatomy, the proportions AND the likeness is spot on:

https://modelcellar.com/shop/time-period/wwi/werner-voss-3/

We issued Voss in 2007 - that was LONG before WNW was even around.   Funny, but our Voss figure was actually designed to go with the "BRAND NEW" (at the time) Roden kit.  Roden was emerging on the 1/32 WWI scene and at Mike's urging, we set off doing 1/32 WWI pilots.  Of course when they issued the kit with Manfred's markings, we soon followed with Manny & Moritz:

https://modelcellar.com/shop/time-period/wwi/manfred-von-richthofen-with-moritz/

And, if they issue Lothar's markings, we have a Lothar figure too =).  In the years gone by we have made quite a few WWI 1/32 personalities:  von Schleich, Bishop, Immelman, Boelcke, Lufbery, Baracca, etc

https://modelcellar.com/product-category/132-scale-54mm/

Now here we are TWELVE years later and we've come full circle.

regards,

Paul

www.ModelCellar.com