WNW 1/32 Dr 1 Triplane

Radub

On 8/9/2019 at 1:35 AM, vince14 said:

But therein lies the problem. Name any other aircraft that the public might recognise - Spitfire, Mustang, B-17, DC-3, 747, Concorde - and they are iconic because they were successful. If MvR had died in a Fokker D.VII - or indeed survived the war - the Dr.I would be nothing more than an aviation footnote, like the Fokker D.VIII or Halberstadt D.II that, today, no-one would be able to identify outside of WWI aviation enthusiasts. It was a technological dead-end - slow, outdated and outclassed as soon as it began to arrive at the Front in numbers. It wasn't liked by the majority of German pilots who flew it, and wasn't feared by British pilots who opposed it. It was built in small numbers and was at the Front for a few short months before being consigned to history. It wasn't even that well known by the general public during the Great War, and only really came to prominence in the 1930's when a renewed interest in WWI was sparked by the re-publication of 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' in a Germany desperate to regain the glory days of old. It isn't even that good looking, especially when you compare it to a Pfalz D.III for example.

The only reason the Dr.I is considered iconic is because MvR died in one. In aviation history no other aircraft has accumulated so much fame whilst achieving so little. 

I think you're over-thinking this thing a bit.

If you aren't into Fokker DR. Is, that's cool.  You don't have to buy one or make a model of it.

No need to spit in the punch bowl for those who do like it. 

2 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I think you're over-thinking this thing a bit.

If you aren't into Fokker DR. Is, that's cool.  You don't have to buy one or make a model of it.

No need to piss in the punch bowl for those who do like it. 

Not going to re quote the other members comments you quoted...too long. 

The Dr1 was a bit slow but was a good dog fighter and climbed like a monkey. It was better than the Albatros in many respects, but replaced quickly by the excellent D7.

Also an experienced pilot always had the advantage, even if his machine had slightly lower specs. If MvR got his twin Spandau’s within 50 ft., it was all over, whatever he was flying. 

I think WNW will make a lot of these and they will be one of their biggest sellers.

Edited by Pup7309

Can’t believe the slap fight over whether the Fokker Dr.1 deserves its fame.  People are interested in the aircraft, period.  No one should have to justify why they like something or don’t.  A lot of people are looking forward to this kit.  Why come in this thread and rain on those people parade?

Don’t know why people delight in stealing people’s joy (yes, I know the history of the phrase) about a kit by something by making a repeatedly making a point that they shouldn’t like it, just because they personally don’t believe the subject is “worthy”.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm stoked about this release.  I can think of at least two or three aircraft I'd like to portray in 1/32, one of which is the Baron's 17/152 (or is it 152/17?).  I hope they can keep the price under$90 but I'll not complain too much if it's not.  I'm expecting it to retail for around $99 US not unlike the D.VII that was recently released. 

Ugh, my WnW stash is growing and I haven't even looked under the box covers of most of them.  Unlike the 1/32 B-17's and B-24's, I KNOW I can fit these into the display cabinet!  

Edited by Juggernut