WNW 1/32 Dr 1 Triplane

Radub

23 hours ago, Radub said:

If you are around Chattanooga, today (Thursday) at 7 PM Richard Alexander is going to be at an informal get-together in the restaurant/bar of the Marriott hotel. It will be fun, you have to be there. 

Radu

Some drinks were had and many laughs were shared in good company. As a bit of "breaking news" I can confirm that indeed Richard is a registered member of LSP. :-)

Radu

41 minutes ago, Radub said:

Some drinks were had and many laughs were shared in good company. As a bit of "breaking news" I can confirm that indeed Richard is a registered member of LSP. :-)

Radu

I bet it was fun Radu! Our dinner last year with Richard was one I'll not soon forget.....

Did Richard go put again after getti g done with dinner this time? :lol:

Fun guy, and I'm sure this dinner was just as much fun!

The Werner Voss story is enough to sell me on the Dr. 1. It's not just about the airplane for me, it's about the men who had the courage to go up in these old crates and fight for their country. It's also the attempts to make a better machine. Heck, even in 1918 flight was a new science. 

12 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

The Werner Voss story is enough to sell me on the Dr. 1. It's not just about the airplane for me, it's about the men who had the courage to go up in these old crates and fight for their country.

Yep, that "Dogfights" series about that encounter between Voss, McCudden and 56 Sqd, sold me on the DR.1 for SURE.

5 hours ago, coogrfan said:

Popular subject, tremendous variety of colorful schemes to choose from, and virtually no rigging?  Count me in. B)

Agreed. The more or less total absence of a lot of mind numbing rigging, is a big draw for me, that's for sure. Plus I just think the aircraft is beautiful.

2 hours ago, eoyguy said:

Hmm, for all the hubbub, I'm wondering if (when its available) you put one of these down next to a well built Encore Dr.I, if anyone would be able to tell one from the other. It should be...interesting!

For me, I just really wanted a great Dr.I kit (WNW), not just an OK Dr.I kit (Roden/Encore). To me, it's no different than all the existing Bf 109 kits to choose from, but a new Tamiya kit would most certainly be on the "must get" list for most of those already holding large stashes of the other brands.

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

For me, I just really wanted a great Dr.I kit (WNW), not just an OK Dr.I kit (Roden/Encore). 

Agreed. Ive build the Encore offering, and as I recall (for a customer) it was not an impossible build by any means, but it was not a "great" kit either. Thankfully for the simplistic nature (VS other WWI aircraft) of it, the kit was not a huge issue to build, but its a looooooong ways away from a great kit,  and does need some upgrades IMHO  to get it fully accurate. 

On 8/8/2019 at 2:33 AM, vince14 said:

I have to admit I don't really get the fascination with the Dr.I. Yes, the 'Red Baron' and all that, but von Richthofen scored more kills in the Albatros series and they're not as popular. The Dr.I was a crap aircraft, with mediocre performance (except in climbing), questionable build quality and poor handling - the fact they only made 320 of them tells you how good it was. The only Fokker aircraft of WWI that didn't have serious problems was the D.VII.

I guess it's the same as the Nieuport 28 - another steaming pile which is only popular because it was the first to equip USAS squadrons.

It’s all about the looks and the fact that for most of the unwashed masses, this plane is the only aircraft from WW1 that is recognized.  If performance was a reason not to release a model, we’d never have any late-war 109G/K’s since by that time, those aircraft definitely qualified for the “steaming pile” award.  

WNW's Dr.I will certainly have more wing surface detail.  Roden doesn't do stitching lines.  But should they really be visible in scale?  I've got the Part update set for the Roden kit, and I also have some wing stitching decals... 

Gotta do a red one...  and a stripey one.