WNW 1/32 Dr 1 Triplane

Radub

6 hours ago, vince14 said:

I have to admit I don't really get the fascination with the Dr.I. Yes, the 'Red Baron' and all that, but von Richthofen scored more kills in the Albatros series and they're not as popular. The Dr.I was a crap aircraft, with mediocre performance (except in climbing), questionable build quality and poor handling - the fact they only made 320 of them tells you how good it was. The only Fokker aircraft of WWI that didn't have serious problems was the D.VII.

I guess it's the same as the Nieuport 28 - another steaming pile which is only popular because it was the first to equip USAS squadrons.

But the Red Baron is more than enough.

Ask anyone to name one combatant from WWI and he will be the man...indeed he’s probably the *only* one anyone has even heard of from that conflict.

Throw in the instant (irrespective of whether it is erroneous or not) association with *his* Flying Circus and you have something that survives a hundred years later.

You might not ‘like’ the fascination, but if you don’t ‘get’ it, I find that rather odd.

50 minutes ago, Radub said:

If you are around Chattanooga, today (Thursday) at 7 PM Richard Alexander is going to be at an informal get-together in the restaurant/bar of the Marriott hotel. It will be fun, you have to be there. 

Radu

If Neil from HKM is the bartender, I’d tell Richard to stick to bottled water!

:m0152:

It also helps the fascination with the aircraft of adventures and stories like that of Voss VS  McCudden and 4 or 5 other Se s of 56 Sdn...............the legend of that fight will likely live on through aviation lore for a long LONG time, and things like that can go a long way to making a legend out of the aircraft regardless of actual performance.

12 hours ago, vince14 said:

I have to admit I don't really get the fascination with the Dr.I. Yes, the 'Red Baron' and all that, but von Richthofen scored more kills in the Albatros series and they're not as popular. The Dr.I was a crap aircraft, with mediocre performance (except in climbing), questionable build quality and poor handling - the fact they only made 320 of them tells you how good it was. The only Fokker aircraft of WWI that didn't have serious problems was the D.VII.

I guess it's the same as the Nieuport 28 - another steaming pile which is only popular because it was the first to equip USAS squadrons.

For me, it just comes down to aesthetics. I see the Dr.I and D.VII as the two best looking fighters of the war, period.

What is the big deal about the DR. I?

I would equate the Dr. I to the Tiger Tank, they are iconic machines that for many define their respectively time period.  Neither was really that important in a real since.  Both were made in ridiculously small numbers.  Both had no impact on the outcome of the war they participated in.  Both are machines that almost everyone to this day knows the name or image.  Before WNW I had never heard of most of the kits they are making models of.  Pretty much the only WWI planes I knew existed were the Dr. I, the Eindecker, DVII, Sopwith Camel and SE5A.  Most people.  You can even boil it down to Snoopy vs the Red Barron.  More people probably know about those famous imaginary air battles in Charlie Brown Cartoons than they do WWI.  

41 minutes ago, AlanG said:

The Tiger tank wasn't important and had no impact? wow that's a new angle for me

It really was not, they only made a few thousand of them.  I saw a recent interview with an expert on the Western front and while the Brit’s had a famous encounter with Michael Witman it is not certain there was a documented case of a American Sherman Tiger encounter.  The Tiger was massively psychological and occasionally had a big impact in one tactical spot but there were never enough to make a difference.  Also the Germans were going backwards so if one broke down or was damaged they were often permanently lost so their available numbers were always miniscule.

I just rechecked, at the Battle of Kursk, the biggest Tank Battle of WWII, the Germans had 211 Tigers.  That was against upwards of 7000 soviet tanks.

Edited by cbk57

Show anyone who has no interest in history, military history, WWI, or airplanes a photograph of a Fokker DR.I and they will probably be able to identify it, in some manner.

No chance they can do that with any other aircraft of that time period.

That's the big deal with the Fokker Dreidecker Eins! 

It's an absolute legend and totally iconic.

And it also happens to be a damned fine looking aircraft, as others have noted above! 

If WNW do a SPAD then it will cover a lot of nationalities: American, British, Empire, French, Italian, (Belgian?) maybe more. Then just need to find something Austrian to balance it out.

Others:

Hanriot HD1: Belgian, Italian

Breguet: French, American

The training aircraft (Farman, Voison etc.) were used by all allies. (But personally wouldn’t want to rig those pushers! )

Edited by Pup7309

10 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Show anyone who has no interest in history, military history, WWI, or airplanes a photograph of a Fokker DR.I and they will probably be able to identify it, in some manner.

No chance they can do that with any other aircraft of that time period.

That's the big deal with the Fokker Dreidecker Eins! 

It's an absolute legend and totally iconic.

And it also happens to be a damned fine looking aircraft, as others have noted above!

But therein lies the problem. Name any other aircraft that the public might recognise - Spitfire, Mustang, B-17, DC-3, 747, Concorde - and they are iconic because they were successful. If MvR had died in a Fokker D.VII - or indeed survived the war - the Dr.I would be nothing more than an aviation footnote, like the Fokker D.VIII or Halberstadt D.II that, today, no-one would be able to identify outside of WWI aviation enthusiasts. It was a technological dead-end - slow, outdated and outclassed as soon as it began to arrive at the Front in numbers. It wasn't liked by the majority of German pilots who flew it, and wasn't feared by British pilots who opposed it. It was built in small numbers and was at the Front for a few short months before being consigned to history. It wasn't even that well known by the general public during the Great War, and only really came to prominence in the 1930's when a renewed interest in WWI was sparked by the re-publication of 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' in a Germany desperate to regain the glory days of old. It isn't even that good looking, especially when you compare it to a Pfalz D.III for example.

The only reason the Dr.I is considered iconic is because MvR died in one. In aviation history no other aircraft has accumulated so much fame whilst achieving so little. 

Edited by vince14

Since my plea to stay on topic with this one has gone unheeded, and since several people were getting a bit hot-headed about things, I've reluctantly had to give this thread a drastic prune. Not every pruned post was transgressive, but in order to maintain the flow and relevance of this topic, they all had to go. I'm seriously disappointed and concerned about the way a simple kit announcement thread has gone so badly off the rails here, and it gives staff serious pause for thought.

If you wish to discuss any of this, please do it with one of the mods via PM, and keep it out of this thread.

What about those Wingnut Wings triplanes, eh?

Kev