Antonio Argudo

Relic Plywood pieces from a BF-109 G10

The RLM 74 looks definitely blue-grey to my eyes, and the 75 purple-grey.

That's the way I've interpreted them for a very long time, so it's quite reassuring seeing these samples. 

Unfortunately, there are people who insist Kalamata olives are all exactly the same green-brown. They look at labels at not the contents.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Unfortunately, there are people who insist Kalamata olives are all exactly the same green-brown. They look at labels at not the contents.

Tony 

Interesting what you say about the olive color. I've seen several Fokker Dr.I kits painted up in a garish green that looks nothing like any olive color I've ever seen, but that's just me.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Tony and Kevin for your comments, 

today I've been doing some mixing paints to try to match  my samples using Gunze Hobby Color Aqueous.

in the first picture you can see both pure paints, on the right it is  Gunze H417  "rlm 76" which is not a good match  to my sample

beside is Gunze H 314  (blue FS 35622 Israeli Kifir)  straight out of the bottle,   pretty close  but misses a bit of blue tonality, I added  a very small  hint of pure  blue,  and  15%  of white and  finally got a decent  representation of my sample ( some grime and dirt on the edge of   my sample but can be seen but  the center   was fine sanded and cleaned)

On the second picture it is my final mix, I used an old  1/32 "B" Mustang  to do some  spray test at least "B" Mustangs and 109's  have some similar forms ;)

so, this for now,  next I'll be spraying RLM 75 which I also got a good mix  match for.

cheers

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-12-at-14-06-49.j

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-12-at-22-03-45.j

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

"B" Mustang  to do some  spray test, at least B Mustangs and 109  have some similar forms ;)

Hi, Antonio,  Very interesting thread and I like what you doing :clap2:  Thank you for sharing !! 

Regards,

Matsu.

Edited by Shiba

Posted (edited)

Thanks Matsu, I'm very glad you find this interesting, I  appreciate it ,cheers;)

thanks Gazzas, I  have to confess  that I like your signature picture :D cheers mate!

well I have spayed the RLM 75,  the recipe I  used  as a base   is   H 331 Dark Sea grey (Great Britain)  but it needed a bit of red tone,  H 13 like a 5% and a 10% of white 

next is the RLM 74, cheers 

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-13-at-01-31-47.j

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Looks close enough to me!

thanks mate!

the custom color mix test has been done, for the RLM 74 I used 60%  of (H 401 Dark Grey)+  30%(H42 Blue Gray) + 10% (White)

once the colors were sprayed I coated with a matt barnice with 10% white mix to tone down colors to produce a scale effect.

this has been fun,  matching my relic samples and applying to a model  with these colors used in 109G6's  and some late versions, specially those that were built at Erla plant which have a sawtooth wing camo pattern and abundant round  mothling patches on the fuselage,  I put some comparison side by side so you can be the judge yourself and take your own conclusions.

next I'll apply  this test to my 109g 1/32  model which I will post in "work in progress" section.

cheers

IMG-20190527-045144.jpg

IMG-20190813-180514.jpg

IMG-20190813-180446.jpg

IMG-20190813-180700.jpg

IMG-20190813-180758.jpg

Screenshot-3804.png

Screenshot-3803.png

Screenshot-3801.png

Screenshot-3802.png

Screenshot-3800.png

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Gott im Himmel!  Your port side Hakenkreuz is turned about.  It needs to be facing so that the arms reach out clockwise.  Other than that, the paint job looks great.  A little super-fine wet sanding on your mottle will reduce your overspray. 

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Gott im Himmel!  Your port side Hakenkreuz is turned about.  It needs to be facing so that the arms reach out clockwise.  Other than that, the paint job looks great.  A little super-fine wet sanding on your mottle will reduce your overspray. 

;)Thanks Gazzas,  the Hakenkreuz looks that way just because the picture is flipped, I only paint one side of the model so in order to compare with the reference images I did that, this was just a quick experiment and focus more on the overall colour balance , I didn't worry much about the other aspects which will take care in the 109 model coming soon, cheers mate!

Antonio

2 hours ago, SB20 said:

I love the color results you've come up with.  That will really make the 190 shine.

Thanks man, I hope so, I recommend anyone who is doing a 109G to take a look at this interesting article  in order to represent  the correct camouflage pattern , cheers

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html

Hi, Antonio,  I like a lot of your colours on the my pc screen !!

I'm working on tamiya 1/ 48 Bf 109 G-6 turn to G-14  W/ big tire bulges,

I always mix some colours to paint my birds with colour I like,  Your colours are almost same as mine to using on my G-14   ^_^  

Regards,

Matsu.

1 hour ago, Shiba said:

Hi, Antonio,  I like a lot of your colours on the my pc screen !!

I'm working on tamiya 1/ 48 Bf 109 G-6 turn to G-14  W/ big tire bulges,

I always mix some colours to paint my birds with colour I like,  Your colours are almost same as mine to using on my G-14   ^_^  

Regards,

Matsu.

Thanks Matsu,  I would like to see how is your 109 turning out, do you have any links? you could post it also in the section "non-LSP works  I guess, cheers

On 8/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, Antonio Argudo said:

thanks mate!

the custom color mix test has been done, for the RLM 74 I used 60%  of (H 401 Dark Grey)+  30%(H42 Blue Gray) + 10% (White)

once the colors were sprayed I coated with a matt barnice with 10% white mix to tone down colors to produce a scale effect.

this has been fun,  matching my relic samples and applying to a model  with these colors used in 109G6's  and some late versions, specially those that were built at Erla plant which have a sawtooth wing camo pattern and abundant round  mothling patches on the fuselage,  I put some comparison side by side so you can be the judge yourself and take your own conclusions.

next I'll apply  this test to my 109g 1/32  model which I will post in "work in progress" section.

cheers

IMG-20190527-045144.jpg

IMG-20190813-180514.jpg

IMG-20190813-180446.jpg

IMG-20190813-180700.jpg

IMG-20190813-180758.jpg

Screenshot-3804.png

Screenshot-3803.png

Screenshot-3801.png

Screenshot-3802.png

Screenshot-3800.png

Cool! Almost looks like the old model master colors from testors...