Hellcat fuel tanks????

Hey all 

Anyone know why there are two different center line fuel tanks in the new 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat kit? I've searched on the Net but haven't been able to find any information. The kit instructions don't even mention the other tank. Was wondering if there were differences between the F6F-3 and the F6F-5 tanks.

Thanks Ron G 

I think there may actually be a total of four types of Hellcat centerline tanks that I have seen photos of:

1.    vertical flange, curved pylon   (early version, used throughout the war)

2.    vertical flange, straight pylon   (?second version, maybe 1944 and later?)

3.    horizontal flange, straight pylon  (?third, late war?)

3.    horizontal flange, no pylon    (?postwar, also used on Bearcat, Tigercat and other aircraft)

In addition to variation in flange orientation and pylon shape, there may have also been different materials used (aluminum vs. steel), and different manufacturers, but I have been unable to pin this down with any certainty.     I'd value corroboration or correction, as I'm something of a Hellcat nut.

Even if you do not have a photo of the aircraft you intend to model, the tank that comes in the Airfix kit (#2 on my list)  is a pretty safe bet; especially if the F6F-3 you intend to convert the Airfix -5 to was used late in the -3 version's service life (say, late 1944ish).    Those tanks entered the supply line while many -3 versions were still in operational use.    As Jennings says in his post, the different types of centerline tanks were used interchangeably on both versions of the F6F.    Most of the second type tank were glossy sea blue color, even when mounted on a three tone F6F-3, while most of the first type of tank were painted white. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Even if you do not have a photo of the aircraft you intend to model, the tank that comes in the Airfix kit (#2 on my list)  is a pretty safe bet; especially if the F6F-3 you intend to convert the Airfix -5 to was used late in the -3 version's service life (say, late 1944ish).    Those tanks entered the supply line while many -3 versions were still in operational use.    As Jennings says in his post, the different types of centerline tanks were used interchangeably on both versions of the F6F.    Most of the second type tank were glossy sea blue color, even when mounted on a three tone F6F-3, while most of the first type of tank were painted white. 

So your saying use the one with the vertical flange and pylon, not the other one with the horizontal flange and no pylon.

Ron G 

Yes, if your model is to be an aircraft in operational service in WWII, use the Airfix tank with the vertical seam and straight pylon   (unless  an aftermarket curved pylon tank shows up!).    I have never seen a wartime era photo of an F6F with the 4th style of tank, but I'd welcome information that indicates they were used.    

However, the horizontal flange, no pylon tanks were common fittings on post war Hellcats.    Indeed, many photos I have seen of  F6F-5K drones show the 4th style tank fitted.   Perhaps that is why Airfix included it rather than the more common 1st or 3rd type.

• 1 month later...