Trumpeter P-40N sprue shots up

docdodj01

The kit is out i have one in my bag to take home from Osaka.

Very sharp detail, standard high quality mouldings and clear parts.

I have a Hasegawa one sitting out waiting to put it up against.

Im sure Has will repop the N now the Trump kit is out and the Trump kit is will be over double the price based off the P-40E.

Just did a quick comparison of the Trump kit to the Hasegawa N.

Fuselage wings etc are basically the same except better detail etc on Trumpeter.

Spinner looks good prop is to narrow in chord ie blades are to thin, diameter is good.

Only difference between them exterior wise is the air inlet is wider on the Trump kit and it looks better compared to pics than the narrower Hasegawa kit.

Cockpit floor is flat on Trump kit and sidewalls id give to Hasegawa.

Overall the only obvious thing i can see is the prop blades and cockpit floor.

I have a pile of Hasegawa N’s but would have no dramas buying another Trump one and rate the nose shape better than Hasegawa’s with respect to width of the air inlet but the prop, cockpit floor are not as nice.

Exhausts id think on both need replacing with resin or metal.

Pretty decent effort from a side by side look over.

Edited by Darren Howie

5 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Only difference between them exterior wise is the air inlet is wider on the Trump kit and it looks better compared to pics than the narrower Hasegawa kit.

5 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Overall the only obvious thing i can see is the prop blades and cockpit floor.

Compare the canopies. Just like their F, the Trumpeter N canopy has bulged sides that should be flat, and the bulged sides extend all the way to the tail. Right on top and highly visible on the completed model. Hasegawa got that area right. 

On 8/5/2019 at 7:56 AM, Alburymodeler said:

the round sided canopy kills it for me.

Exactly.

D

Speaking from experience, you can shoehorn the Avionix resin cockpit, designed for the Hasegawa kit, into the Trumpeter kit. It requires a smidge of plastic added to the resin to match the rear bulkhead profile, and a bit of trimming on the kit canopy rail sections, but in all honesty it was rather painless. Slap some resin wheels on it, and it really dresses it up. Doesn't do anything for the shape issues, but sure helps some other glaring areas. 

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

I wonder if those etchings can 'actually' be used in the kit? or are they just thrown in to give a scent of quality?

Graham

I’n building the P-40F, and so far, YES, the PE for the flaps really fit well! I didn’t use the PE seatbelts because I already have the HGW set, but I’ll be using the targeting sights once I’m done.