Jedha City..... the kit build

spacewolf

As most of you know I was challenged to build a master for a kit of Jedha City by Jimi of JPG Productions to go with the upcoming Bandai 1/5000 scale Star Destroyer due out soon. Being that I was thinking of building one for myself it didn't take much arm twisting. It was a first for me making a kit for production but worked out really well. Jimi unveiled it at Wonderfest and it has been well received. He sent me my copy just last week.. it arrived Wed evening and I finished it this morning (Sunday) !!

The box is of reasonable size.. the kit was well packed in peanut foam, the city plate & spire were in a ziplock bag.

RtOe3Lu.jpg

LM9kCuA.jpg

4 parts, keeping it simple. I wanted the kit to be like the Bandai kits.. go together simple & fast, look good and the real challenge to be painting/ weathering.

7sGhCWD.jpg

It is a resin kit... and had some typical  issues. The main spire was bent, the two shorter ones were 'short shot' and there were some airbubbles in some of the buildings..

Oln65KY.jpg

6NLExQh.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics.

The shorter spires I just filed to a flat surface, nipped off a bit of sheet, superglued them on and sanded to final shape.

tMVDKFA.jpg

The taller spire I simply broke off and re positioned...

uat8ACw.jpg

Buildings that were a bit rough (6) got some putty..

xY9tGMF.jpg

Some primer and it was done.. all of about 90 minutes work. The main temple had a few air bubbles.. nothing bad at all.

J3Kahm6.jpg

First real issue.. one of the sides was a MM short.. not sure if one side warped a bit or not. I thought about using the hot water method to bend one side but decided not to.. as Londo Mollari would say.. "It can't be that bad..."

WqBtHf3.jpg

kRlo2Gf.jpg

The city plate needed a bit of careful sanding to get the wall seams to close properly. My kit took some time and I finally got a bit frustrated and filled the small remaining gaps with super glue. Once everything was securely glued I slathered on a bit of putty and went to bed.. 3 hrs into the build.

Q2YmBBW.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The next evening I sanded down the putty and did a bit of re sculpting with files and sanding sticks. Another primer coat, a bit more sculpting, then some putty just spotted on and spread around to roughen up the surface..

1gTKEc8.jpg

Shot coat of primer...

0aMKxWI.jpg

Lets play find the seam... :-)

GwDne3W.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

And, just like that.. it was paint time... total about 6 hrs into the build. Vallejo air light & dark brown, white and a bit of grey...

crV7V4o.jpg

Just playing... haven't done ground work in decades..

koAdri7.jpg

k7AJORN.jpg

And within an hour or so... I had the look I was shooting for in my minds eye back in March when I started this mad project.

eLH36HV.jpg

About 8 hours into the build... this was where I lost track... we are painting buildings...

iHpXMB3.jpg

White, light grey, red brown, yellow, light blue, concrete, washes, touchups, enamel gold for the domes.... this took several sessions of at least 2 hrs at a time... but came out pretty much like I'd hoped...

0NdaMCL.jpg

HSkKpLl.jpg

And before I knew it.. it was done.. this morning around 9 am....the sun rose over Jedha City...